New system recommendation with some weird parameters

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
The same goes for batteries. If they're recycled, then the eco-damage is lessened substantially. There are no lead smelters left in the US because of environmental regulations here. So we outsource that pollution largely to Mexico and China as well. But recycling of the lead, plastic, and to some extent the acid from lead acids does help considerably.

Still, the main thing people need to keep in mind is that neither solar nor wind provide continuous "base-load" power. So either battery storage would need to be ramped up to impractical levels or coal, nuclear, hydro, and gas will need to provide the lion's share of electrical power for the foreseeable future.

But for individual small systems, batteries can allow solar and or wind to produce all you need. It just doesn't scale up well yet, especially when you see the mass destruction large wind and solar installations create in formerly "wild" areas. And also when you consider the economics of it.

What the so-called "green" movement is doing to energy prices hurts poor and middle class people greatly, but is easily shrugged off by the rich for whom energy costs are a much smaller percentage of their annual income.

All of this needs to be studied carefully and the ramifications for everyone considered when it comes to setting public policy. I feel like I benefit from cheaper solar panels and government subsides, etc., but my gain comes on the backs of those who cannot afford the overall higher utility rates that such subsidies always mean.

And there's the hard-to calculate losses in economic growth, jobs, etc., that higher utility prices must cause as well.

I guess what I'm saying is that solar, wind, and battery technology all needs to pull it's own weight and be economically viable on it's own, as well as be forced to conform to the same environmental standards that other energy sources and industries are subject to. If the economic and environmental playing field is kept level, then these "pet" technologies will be forced to be truly competitive both economically and environmentally. It's government meddling in the whole field, to divert money to someone's cronies or support their "religion" that bugs me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@J Sigmo , do you know anything at all about this?....

I have heard that when you consider all that goes into the making of a "green" electric-powered vehicle, that the dangerous waste created by the battery-making process and the expense of the treatment and disposal of same outweighs the ecological advantages?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you kill a protected raptor, you go to federal prison or are fined heavily. Yet wind farms are allowed to kill them by the thousands.
Yep. Where's PETA when you need them.

So I like to see it used sparingly, and far cleaner coal, gas, and nuclear used for the bulk of power needs.
Amen, brother.

I fondly recall in 2016 when Hillary stood up on the podium up in coal country, pointed to the audience and told 'em she was going to put them out of a job. Then she names her book What Happened? :screwy:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One interesting bit of news, the extra weight of EVs and Hybrids causes them to go through tires faster and produce a fair amount of tire particulates.

If you want a level playing field, we'd have to stop subsidizing coal, natural gas, and oil too. Maybe then we wouldn't have had a record amount of methane flared as a waste product last year.

In addition to outsourcing our production and recycling of hazardous things to other countries, developing countries are reluctant to do anything to control pollution that might slow 'growth'. This will have long lasting and global effects. We waste huge amounts of energy, water, and food as a society and do need to find ways to do better.

By no means are countries like Germany or the Netherlands perfect, but if you look at differences in styles or construction and energy efficiency it's pretty pathetic how bad the US is doing. We build homes that have a much higher total cost of ownership over time and we do it because it makes the bankers and home builders more money.

I know there's been lots of fear-mongering about the notion of a green new deal but the realities of what progressive democrats are talking about are far removed from the 'conservative' narrative. Frankly to me the biggest difference is that the democrats actually want to have a conversation and debate about energy policy and think about the future and republican politicians just want to bury their heads in the sand and collect a big fat check from the oil and gas industry.

You're absolutely right pretty much all of our energy storage systems suck. Whether it's some from of battery or pumping water back to the top of a hydroelectric dam and cheering when it's 30% efficient. It's far better to try adjust demand so it's better matched to supply.

As a country we do need to invest in our future and then we might just figure out some innovative solutions the idiotic talking heads couldn't have imagined. How many more Flint's will there be before we actually start planning for the future and repairing our infrastructure. A futuristic libertarian dystopia doesn't seem like a very fun place to live.

Last edited:

mangler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd just be worried about regular hackers unless you are a Defense Contractor working at home on a classified design. If you're worried about 50 Chinese agents storming the canyon, get one of these...Barrett M107A1 Semi Auto Rifle .50 BMG 20" Fluted Barrel 10 Rounds Suppressor Ready Muzzle Brake 18" Integrated Rail with 27 MOA Elevation Black Cerakote Receiver - 14084 - 816715012425
I like how that is a restricted firearm in the US. Restricted to people who have 12k to spare.

Overkill, unless the Chinese are attacking in an armoured car :)

PS thanks for the links. Had trouble finding an ePOE switch with more than 4 ports. Does Dahua make a 16 port? Technically I only need one ePOE port (maybe 2 if I get fancy), but it would be nice if i could avoid running 2 switches, and I might slip and get more than 8 cameras at some point....

I suspect EPOEs switch is no more power hungry than a standard POE switch, especially with some unused ports?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like how that is a restricted firearm in the US. Restricted to people who have 12k to spare.

Overkill, unless the Chinese are attacking in an armoured car :)

PS thanks for the links. Had trouble finding an ePOE switch with more than 4 ports. Does Dahua make a 16 port? Technically I only need one ePOE port (maybe 2 if I get fancy), but it would be nice if i could avoid running 2 switches, and I might slip and get more than 8 cameras at some point....

I suspect EPOEs switch is no more power hungry than a standard POE switch, especially with some unused ports?
yes they make a 16 and 24 port epoe swithes, but you are better off running two switches. It doesnt hurt and provides a bit of redundancy. They only use a few watts of power.

mangler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes they make a 16 and 24 port epoe swithes, but you are better off running two switches. It doesnt hurt and provides a bit of redundancy. They only use a few watts of power.
I am assuming you mean spread your yard coverage between the 2 switches, so if one goes down you don't have too many blind spots? To be fair I am not worried about redundancy too much, I will likely be the only one on my street with any video cameras. Along with the video surveillance sign, all I really have to worry about is druggies, as any sane/moderately sober criminal will be looking for softer targets.

PS Do POE switches have a high failure rate, as a rule?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am assuming you mean spread your yard coverage between the 2 switches, so if one goes down you don't have too many blind spots? To be fair I am not worried about redundancy too much, I will likely be the only one on my street with any video cameras. Along with the video surveillance sign, all I really have to worry about is druggies, as any sane/moderately sober criminal will be looking for softer targets.

PS Do POE switches have a high failure rate, as a rule?
no they dont. I dont believe I ever had a poe switch fail. I run many. Though these dahua switches are unknown and unproven. there is nothing wrong with running two switches. There is no downside.