New to all of this..

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just joined your group after browsing the forum. I started out looking at Arlo, then Ring , and more recently Lorex.. I am going to see if I can track down that Lorex system at Costco.. I also see a lot of recommendation for the Dahua 5231 cameras..

I have a small ranch home and I think 4 cameras outside would be fine.. I'm thinking maybe those Dahua cameras and a NVR so I can keep an eye on things when we goon vacation..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks, Joe

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just joined your group after browsing the forum. I started out looking at Arlo, then Ring , and more recently Lorex.. I am going to see if I can track down that Lorex system at Costco.. I also see a lot of recommendation for the Dahua 5231 cameras..

I have a small ranch home and I think 4 cameras outside would be fine.. I'm thinking maybe those Dahua cameras and a NVR so I can keep an eye on things when we goon vacation..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks, Joe
Welcome @Pocono Joe

Last I checked that kit was not available at my local Costco.

Normally I would recommend planning for at least 6-8 cameras for a modest sized home.

If you are not in a hurry I would recommend taking some time to determine your needs.

Remember to check out the wiki
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

as well as the various Lorex discussions we've had here.

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks mat200.. I just found out the Costco near me has 3 of those Lorex systems at $799.00..

I did read the WiKi and my head still hurts..

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I got the Duhua NVR 4108HS-8P-45z and a couple of IPC-HDW2231r-Z5 cameras how hard would it be to set up?

Joe

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I got the Duhua NVR 4108HS-8P-45z and a couple of IPC-HDW2231r-Z5 cameras how hard would it be to set up?

Joe

Hi Joe,

A lot depends on how you want to run the cables, the construction of the house, and the positions you want to put the cameras.

With a easier house plan for a nice weekend DIY job with a friend assisting you - at least on the cable pulls part.

Do take some time to plan this out.

If you are under an immediate threat please let us know, and let us know what type of threat it is. ( daytime? night time? .. )

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If I got the Duhua NVR 4108HS-8P-45z and a couple of IPC-HDW2231r-Z5 cameras how hard would it be to set up?

Joe
In addition to Mat200's post, I'd say: preparation is key of your future success.
Not only the physical planning (wiring, junction boxes, securing of your network, .. ) is important, also the logical layout is even more important (how to connect to your WAN: subnet, gateway, vlan, access restrictions (read wiki on OpenVPN)).
You can go "quick & dirty" and have "images to impress your neighbours", but without any well-thought-trough layout (eg port forwarding), you'll have the whole internetz watching your house, hacking your NAS and doing DDos from your devices.
Or, you could "trust" your money with a "cam installer", but it's better to learn to drive, than letting you drive around ;-)

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

A lot depends on how you want to run the cables, the construction of the house, and the positions you want to put the cameras.

With a easier house plan for a nice weekend DIY job with a friend assisting you - at least on the cable pulls part.

Do take some time to plan this out.

If you are under an immediate threat please let us know, and let us know what type of threat it is. ( daytime? night time? .. )
I'm ok with running cables and mounting cameras.. I'm more concerned with the software setup...
No threat I just want to be able to watch the house when we go on vacation..
Should I rule out the Lorex?
Thanks for taking the time to help...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ok with running cables and mounting cameras.. I'm more concerned with the software setup...
No threat I just want to be able to watch the house when we go on vacation..
Should I rule out the Lorex?
Thanks for taking the time to help...
Hi Joe,

I like that Lorex kit from - however at $800 recently there has been some better values if you don't mind skipping the Costco return policy. ( example LeChange had a nice kit for $900 recently from Frys which you can add the well liked Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras to - I really do like the 2MP starlight cameras and thus would recommend augmenting any Dahua OEM kit with at least a couple of them to help get a better complete setup )

Lorex does strip out the IVS features - so that is a another thing to consider.

of course the great thing about Costco is a superior return policy - which I really like - but hard for me to determine how to value it in terms of $$.

There are a number of ways to accomplish what you are looking for - the easiest of course is to hire someone qualified to do it.

The most cash effective is to DIY - and that will require some reading here and/or other places to find a decent solution. ( example if you're into tech - a lot of fans here of Blue Iris software running on a windows i5/i7 PC )

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've learned a lot here in the last couple of days.. If I get a couple of HDW5231R-Z5 cameras which Duhua NVR should I get? I would like some thing that is easy to set up and can access from my phone.. I will study up on the OpenVPN stuff but for now I just want an easy install..

Thanks again, Joe

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I've learned a lot here in the last couple of days.. If I get a couple of HDW5231R-Z5 cameras which Duhua NVR should I get? I would like some thing that is easy to set up and can access from my phone.. I will study up on the OpenVPN stuff but for now I just want an easy install..
All depends on how you want to deploy your IPC network (eg "own" POE switch, or NVR with built-in POE switch) and/or how many IPC cams you want. Combine both numbers, and you'll know where to end up - do keep in mind that "low-range" NVR have bandwidth constraints too! For my case, I "wanted" to start with 4 IPC, which made an 8channel NVR a wise choice, but finally, I'm ending up with 9+ IPCs, so I (luckily) bought a 16Ch with 16 POE ports.

But then again, each case is different: make a list, how many cams, how many MP, should-be setup (fps/resolution), how many disks in NVR, POE or not and you'll quickly discover where to end up.

General IPCAMTALK forum tip:
* OVERSIZING DOES NOT HARM *

Good luck!
CC

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Joe, always get a bigger recorder than what you think you might need. Once you start adding cameras you'll quickly realize you'll want to add more. Big mistake people make is buying cameras with the wrong lense size for a proper viewing angle. Best thing is to get cameras with a varifocal lenses, that way you can fine tune each camera view to that specific location.

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I'n planning on 3-4 cameras.. I highly doubt I'll ever go over 8..
Which Duhua NVR should I get?

Joe

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right now I'n planning on 3-4 cameras.. I highly doubt I'll ever go over 8..
Which Duhua NVR should I get?

Joe
Hi Joe,

Dahua options:

basically these model numbers - or the newer versions ( maybe w/and E added to the end )

NVR4xxx = lite version << NVR5xxx = pro version

NVRx1xx = 1 HDD
NVRx2xx = 2 HDD

NVR4108-8P-4KS2
NVR4208-8P-4KS2
NVR5208-8P-4KS2

I got the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - 16 port model typically will be more powerful than a 8 port model

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mat,
I think the 4208 will be fine.. What else will I need? Do I just plug the cameras in and hook up a monitor? I know I also have to run a cable to my Router.. Then I can set things up ?
What will I need to check things from my phone?
Thanks for your patience, Joe