New to BI and need some help deciding on a machine. Help!

spoolinws6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm pretty new to ip cams in general and could really use some help deciding on the hardware to run my BI setup. Tried researching on here but it seems every situation is kinda unique.

Looking to run up to 14 ip cameras. I currently have 8 ip cams from various manufacturers that range from 1 to 5mp cameras. All of these cams are foing to be run through a 16 port PoE+ switch. In the end I will probably have two 5mp cams (one of them fisheye for total room coverage) and as an average we will say the remainder are at 3mp. I really like the idea of 30fps but require at a minimum 15fps. In the reading I have been doing on here it sounds like most people recommend at least a tower with a 4th gen i7 or newer with at least 8gb of ram. Am I off base in that assumption? Please help!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, if you haven't seen these Wiki pages some of the admins have been putting together, definitely give them a peek:

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
3rd-Party Addons and Tools for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Using that guide, it sounds like i7. You're kind of between 8GB and 16GB I'd go for 16GB personally. If you think you'll end up using H.265 (better compression), consider a 6th gen or newer processor for when BI supports hardware acceleration for that...

spoolinws6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, if you haven't seen these Wiki pages some of the admins have been putting together, definitely give them a peek:

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
3rd-Party Addons and Tools for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Using that guide, it sounds like i7. You're kind of between 8GB and 16GB I'd go for 16GB personally. If you think you'll end up using H.265 (better compression), consider a 6th gen or newer processor for when BI supports hardware acceleration for that...
Thanks a lot for those links! They cleared up a lot of questions.

When I was reading the Wiki, It said I could also get decent performance out of an older i7 Processor. I came across this PC today on Craigslist.

Lenovo K330 - I7-2600 w/ 16 gb ram

Is it a good deal? Would it be sufficient? is there any reason why you wouldn't choose this PC?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for those links! They cleared up a lot of questions.

When I was reading the Wiki, It said I could also get decent performance out of an older i7 Processor. I came across this PC today on Craigslist.

Lenovo K330 - I7-2600 w/ 16 gb ram

Is it a good deal? Would it be sufficient? is there any reason why you wouldn't choose this PC?
terrible deal...that is a six year old second generation machine..

spoolinws6

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, just saw a few on eBay going for more. I guess people see i7 and assume it's gold