New to BI

Pop

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently installed BI on my computer and purchased some foscam cameras. I'm new to the use of surveillance cameras and to the BI software. I have been given installation assistance from foscam support but have found they will install the cameras or fix the issue you have in an expedited manner. This is great but not if I want to learn how to do this next time I have the same issue or just to have the knowledge. Do you have any weblinks that you think are great for beginners to learn how to use BI, setup procedures, etc.
For example I can open BI and see the cameras pop up but I don't know how to set up any functions. Thank you for your assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have recently installed BI on my computer and purchased some foscam cameras. I'm new to the use of surveillance cameras and to the BI software. I have been given installation assistance from foscam support but have found they will install the cameras or fix the issue you have in an expedited manner. This is great but not if I want to learn how to do this next time I have the same issue or just to have the knowledge. Do you have any weblinks that you think are great for beginners to learn how to use BI, setup procedures, etc.
For example I can open BI and see the cameras pop up but I don't know how to set up any functions. Thank you for your assistance.
Welcome to the forum! Blue iris has a help file for every aspect of the program....there is a quick start guide as well, click on the question mark on top.
There are two main locations for settings, global settings are under blue iris options (click on the gear image on the top left) and each camera has its own settings, click on properties.
Note that foscam does not develop blue iris, they simply resell it. The developer is here http://blueirissoftware.com/
Foscam makes low end cameras, there are better options for your money. If your purchased VGA low resulution cameras, send them back.

Pop

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. Talking about cameras... I bought FI9831P and FI9805P cameras. Being new to the market - I like the FI9831P cameras but have been disappointed with the FI9805P. My wife doesn't like the look of the FI9805P because it's too big and bulky looking, commerical type product rather than something she wants showing on the outside walls of our home. I want a better resolution camera where I can have a much clearer view of the scene. We are looking for a High definition, great quality surveillance camera for our home. Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. Talking about cameras... I bought FI9831P and FI9805P cameras. Being new to the market - I like the FI9831P cameras but have been disappointed with the FI9805P. My wife doesn't like the look of the FI9805P because it's too big and bulky looking, commerical type product rather than something she wants showing on the outside walls of our home. I want a better resolution camera where I can have a much clearer view of the scene. We are looking for a High definition, great quality surveillance camera for our home. Any suggestions?
There are many threads on hikvision and dahua cameras that will be far superior to the foscams. Look at the new 2mp and 4mp cameras from hikvision or dahua. They will perform and look better than the foscams.

John4333

n3wb
Reaction score
I too am new to the cam business. I started with a Foscam F19821P. I was disappointed with the night vision for the camera so based on recommendations here I bought a LaView Panda LV-PC902F2-W from Amazon. It's truly night and day difference at not that much more money. LaView is a rebranded Hikvision which is a well thought of brand based on threads here. The Panda's aren't PTZ, but I use them to monitor entrances and use the mask function to mask out area's where I don't want movement to trigger the alerts, so I wouldn't want to move them and have to keep checking if the right areas are masked.

The other changes I've is that I had intended on being all wireless. I now see that is not the most desirable way to go, it puts quite a demand on your wifi network. Fortunately for me I have a number of rooms in the house pre-wired for ethernet so I'm going with POE (power over ethernet) for the remaining cameras except for one in the garage that will be wireless. I have 2 of the Panda's and one more coming this week, one will run wireless. Along with the one Foscam.

The other thing I sorta miss with the Blue Iris documentation is that it's not available as a PDF. Yes I know a minor quibble, but I like to lay in bed and study the documentation on the iPad and you can't do it with a CHM file.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I too am new to the cam business. I started with a Foscam F19821P. I was disappointed with the night vision for the camera so based on recommendations here I bought a LaView Panda LV-PC902F2-W from Amazon. It's truly night and day difference at not that much more money. LaView is a rebranded Hikvision which is a well thought of brand based on threads here. The Panda's aren't PTZ, but I use them to monitor entrances and use the mask function to mask out area's where I don't want movement to trigger the alerts, so I wouldn't want to move them and have to keep checking if the right areas are masked.

The other changes I've is that I had intended on being all wireless. I now see that is not the most desirable way to go, it puts quite a demand on your wifi network. Fortunately for me I have a number of rooms in the house pre-wired for ethernet so I'm going with POE (power over ethernet) for the remaining cameras except for one in the garage that will be wireless. I have 2 of the Panda's and one more coming this week, one will run wireless. Along with the one Foscam.

The other thing I sorta miss with the Blue Iris documentation is that it's not available as a PDF. Yes I know a minor quibble, but I like to lay in bed and study the documentation on the iPad and you can't do it with a CHM file.
I'm the same way with PDFs, but changed my mindset and only work on BI live and use the help button. After 1-3 weeks of heavy learning it paid off. This forum is very helpful, I frequented this BI part for 1-2 months to learn more. worth the time.

AlfredG94

n3wb
Reaction score
I started out with Foscam when i first found BI, and was/am very pleased. I recently became a trendnet partner for curiosity, and absolutely love the small cameras for the cheap price. Also i have to say they are ALOT better than most Foscam devices I've dealt with.. Definitely recommend trying one at least (preferably the TV-IP310PI).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I started out with Foscam when i first found BI, and was/am very pleased. I recently became a trendnet partner for curiosity, and absolutely love the small cameras for the cheap price. Also i have to say they are ALOT better than most Foscam devices I've dealt with.. Definitely recommend trying one at least (preferably the TV-IP310PI).
Welcome to the forum. That trendnet camera is a hikvision 2032 rebranded camera. The new 2mp and 4mp hikvision WDR cameras are superior to that camera and could be had for less.

AlfredG94

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That trendnet camera is a hikvision 2032 rebranded camera. The new 2mp and 4mp hikvision WDR cameras are superior to that camera and could be had for less.

wow thank you. you saved me a little extra money haha.

thestip

n3wb
Reaction score
... The other thing I sorta miss with the Blue Iris documentation is that it's not available as a PDF. Yes I know a minor quibble, but I like to lay in bed and study the documentation on the iPad and you can't do it with a CHM file.
zamzar.com will convert it. Just upload the chm file and you'll be mailed the pdf. There are a few more sites like that as well as some free apps.