new to blue iris, and camera systems...storage question

amorillo

n3wb
Reaction score
quick question, i just intalled 4 dahua starlight cameras, and I have and old i7 2600 desktop with windows 10 i'm using with blue iris. the blue iris pc has 3 hard drives. hard drive 1 has 1.4tb, drive 2 2.8tb, drive 3 2.tb.I took 50gb of drive 1 and partioned it as a system drive for blue iris..

how do i setup the file recording.. if i setup up the 1st drive as the new, stored, then the other two drives as aux 1 and aux 2. will the dvr just record on drive 1, then when thats full start recording on drive 2, then drive 3?? or should I in the individual camera settings , for example assign two cameras to the largest drive and other two cameras , one to the 2nd drive and the other to the third??

or should i try to create some kind of storage pool to combine all drives and then just use that?? i think the benefit of having them on separate drives is that if a hard drive fails only the data that was on that hard drive is lost..

any advice or explanation of how to set this up??

sorry for the rant, any advice, suggestions would be appreciated...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
quick question, i just intalled 4 dahua starlight cameras, and I have and old i7 2600 desktop with windows 10 i'm using with blue iris. the blue iris pc has 3 hard drives. hard drive 1 has 1.4tb, drive 2 2.8tb, drive 3 2.tb.I took 50gb of drive 1 and partioned it as a system drive for blue iris..

how do i setup the file recording.. if i setup up the 1st drive as the new, stored, then the other two drives as aux 1 and aux 2. will the dvr just record on drive 1, then when thats full start recording on drive 2, then drive 3?? or should I in the individual camera settings , for example assign two cameras to the largest drive and other two cameras , one to the 2nd drive and the other to the third??

or should i try to create some kind of storage pool to combine all drives and then just use that?? i think the benefit of having them on separate drives is that if a hard drive fails only the data that was on that hard drive is lost..

any advice or explanation of how to set this up??

sorry for the rant, any advice, suggestions would be appreciated...
splitting the cameras between the drives is best.
Use an ssd for your OS and your blue iris database folder and performance will be really snappy.