New to home security surveillance and need some advice

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do your self a huge favor and run an ethernet cable to every TV in the house, so you can view these cameras on your TV's and also stream off the internet without all the bullshit of wifi.. HD Video + Wireless Network = Shit

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will need to figure out a way to remove the soffit so I can see what I am going to drill into... I am not sure how difficult that will be since I have never done it... Then I am planning on drilling trough the eave and then run the cables into the attic where I will install a power outlet for the camera
Ill have one or two nights to run the cables before the drywall goes up...
You need to be sure whether you'll be able to do anything before the drywall and how much time you'll have and what the state of the house will be. If you've never done this before it may take you longer than you expect.

You don't need to remove the soffit, you need to take lots of pictures and measurements! Why would you need to go through the soffit AND the eave?
You don't want to do something stupid that damages your new house in them name of installing an over sized impractical security camera. I'd run a loop of cable to the soffit with some extra tack it in place somehow and then drill a hole in the right spot to get at it later.

Don't put an outlet / transformer in your attic. Run some 16-2 with 2 Cat-5e to the power hungry cameras.

where are your water heater and hvac going to be installed?

Do you have floorplan images?

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Second-floor-Cameras.jpgHello... when you say ... "Don't put an outlet / transformer in your attic. Run some 16-2 with 2 Cat-5e to the power hungry cameras." What do I connect this 16-2 wire to ? If you look at te bedroom near the cameras ... There is a box in the ceter of the room that I was going to jump off of and make a outlet box. I spoke to the electrician and he said he would do it if I wanted ... Maybe he will run this 16-2 wire if I can figure out what your idea is :)

That wire I linked a little while ago... that is ok for poe I am guessing .. it has 4 wires and just wanted to make sure before I order it :)

Also ... which Modular connector would I need ... I see a few different ones and do I need a special crimping tool or something to connect these to the wire or do I only need the wire.. boots and connectors?
http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305

Here is the second floor ... The HVAC is marked with an X and the cameras with the bulls eye's.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can get by with less space than that for your network hardware, a 10+U wall mounted rack works well. Even the shallow ones.

I'd also run a little speaker wire for 5.1

It wouldn't surprise me if your wife veto's your big PTZ cams after seeing them. Auto tracking on that cam doesn't work that great iirc.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome guys I will have to find a closet and install this all in the back... So you have your router in the OZ room? I guess I could do that if I make runs to all the TV's as well I will just pick a location and do it... The builder is a big company and they won't do anything if it's not on the plans... I paid the electrician out of pocket to run my speaker wires for me He said he would add outlets if I needed him to as well.

I really appreciate all the help guys I like to do things myself and love to learn. I build all my own computers but I didn't know all the little things that goes into a network.

I will just come up with a location for baby OZ and then run wires when it's time and do the rest when we move in... Which should be in mid July

Have a great day fellas

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea... That is an air duct �� So is the one in the master closet. What is odd if you keep that bedroom a loft that duct isn't at that location. Not sure if they double the other one up or what.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea... That is an air duct �� So is the one in the master closet.
FYI: this is an example of a wall mounted rack: http://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-12u-very-low-profile-patch-depth-wall-mount-rack-enclosure-cabinet-clear-acrylic-window~SRW12U13G/

There are also structured media panels that fit between the studs, but it's very difficult to make everything like your nvr, switch, modem, and router, a ups/surge protector, and all the power bricks fit inside them. Putting your wifi router inside one of these also kills reception. http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-swb28-structured-wiring-box-28-inch
DON'T SKIMP ON THE SIZE OF THESE PANELS IF YOU USE ONE!

Wherever you put your network stuff, you'll also need Cat-6 and coax from that location to the service entrance location for cable/phone.

Do you have a floor plan image for the main floor?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those are a thousand times better than WiFi, but a real ethernet cable is many times better than PowerLine Networking...

You dont have finished walls, dont worry about those gadgets until its too late and you realize you shoulda ran more wires.

if I were building a house today from scratch, every TV location would have 2 ethernet cables, every room would have a phone mount on the wall with an ethernet cable for a VoIP phone, every corner and entry of the house would have an ethernet cable for cameras, and each of the kids rooms would have an ethernet cable to the celing for a nanycam.

and thats just for starters.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those are a thousand times better than WiFi, but a real ethernet cable is many times better than PowerLine Networking...
power line networking can be trouble in newer houses with AFCI breakers, depending on the brand of your breakers (iirc Square D and Eaton are Ok everybody else not so much) these adapters can trip your afcis. These basically work by injecting noise into your power lines, so they don't go so well with high end av equipment.

It costs more, but you can also get cable that has coax and Ethernet bundled together or multiple of each.

If you want really good wifi it usually takes multiple APs, another reason for a few ceiling jacks.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll be running like a mad man �� Thanks guys

Oh ... The cameras came today.... I can share pics if anyone is interested. I'm not home yet ... Will be soon

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Pics are always welcome. Particularly motion shots at night. :)

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Whoo... This one is very large ... I will try to return for another 9 inch one. I like it but it would look odd for sure. I don't mind if people see the cameras up top... The ones by the doorways will be more discreet. I won't have them up and running for a while since we close on the house in about a month and a half.

image.jpeg

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys :)

One of the cameras came with a little CD ... Im guessing its software ... when I launch it ... it gives me an error - "Disk full while accessing" .... What would this software be for normally? Isnt there other software like Blue Iris that I can use instead?

Aslo.... Which would be better? They are simular price and both netgear.... I think one is higher Watts and managed.... Thank you

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-JGS516PE-Rackmount-JGS516PE-100NAS/dp/B00GG1ACX2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_02_t_img_lh

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-FS116PNA-16-Port-Ethernet/dp/B000ANF8FE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont ever install anything from china, good way to get your ass infected.

one is FastEthernet (10/100Mbit) and the other is GigE (1000Mbit), obviously you want the GigE one.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont ever install anything from china, good way to get your ass infected.

one is FastEthernet (10/100Mbit) and the other is GigE (1000Mbit), obviously you want the GigE one.
Indeed.
On the subject of physical security... it might be time for some new locks
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8
I'm a little surprised you don't have something like a mul-t-lock or medeco lock. Something like this is a more budget friendly option: http://www.amazon.com/Angal-Security-Single-Deadbolt-Lock/dp/B00J5U9BSS

800 dollar security camera, $40 lock...

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you talking to me? My front door takes no keys, I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Yale-Living-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-Standalone/dp/B00GPP33LW/

Nobody bothers with picking deadbolts, why when I can defeat that high security deadbolt in less than 10 seconds with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009WM4P8/

Get past the front door you must face me, my 357, and my 130lb Pyrenees.. not to mention the alarm system.. the cameras wont stop nothing, I have absolutely no expectations they will.. hopefully it'll used as evidence to help me explain the body on my floor.. or find the person whom left our bodies behind.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you talking to me? My front door takes no keys
I remembered seeing a photo of your front door from a few years ago in one of your other threads, that showed a smartkey lock and I thought there was a reference to getting one of those smart locks that screws onto your existing lock. I thought there was a good chance it had been replaced, but people still buy these insecure locks. There's even a socket wrench version of the tool to open the smart key locks.

You're right there are more practical means of entry and defense