New to home security surveillance and need some advice

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yeah i dont update that thread as often as I should.. in the end I decided on a keyless 2-factor system, my VW Golf is keyless and I started hating digging out keys to open the front door too.. now I just carry the fob + one high security key for the padlocks on my adventure trailer + HID Prox Fob.. The house is very rarely armed, as there is nearly always someone here since me and my old lady both work from home.

8 digit pin number to unlock the front door, HID Prox fob to disarm the security system.. I can issue temporary codes and fobs to friends/family/workers and revoke the code and fob when nessicary.. a 9v lithium battery is hidden on my patio so if the batteries die I can jump 2 contacts on the bottom, power it up.. enter my code and unlock it.

Ive got door jam armor installed, that should make it a bit harder to kick in.. but its still a wooden door and it'ts already showing cracks from normal wear and tear.. the next front door is going to be made of metal, then hopefully with some structural additions in the right places it'll be able to handle a 300lb guy throwing a couple G's at it.

the nicest thing about the smart lock is auto-locking.. it locks on its own now, and if it locks you out its no big deal since its keyless.. in my years Ive had everything from Crackheads, Drunks and even LEO's invite them selves in my front door when I was home.. simply because I left it unlocked.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
since we are talking about front door security now, I'll share this great find: http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Products-10827-Blocker-Nickel/dp/B00D2K367Y

that quite frankly is the best damn night lock you'll find, trust me I tested a handfull of them and thats easy as shit to use and confuses the hell out of anyone who dont know how to operate it.. so someone breaking a side window to unlock it will find them selves very confused.

Fist time my parents stayed with me after installing it, they tried to run an errand before we woke up (timezone differences), neither could not figure out how to open the front door so they went around back and triggered the alarm system when they opened the gate.. since the gates opening at night is a forced alarm, even when disarmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a 9v lithium battery is hidden on my patio so if the batteries die I can jump 2 contacts on the bottom, power it up.. enter my code and unlock it.

Ive got door jam armor installed, that should make it a bit harder to kick in.. but its still a wooden door and it'ts already showing cracks from normal wear and tear.. the next front door is going to be made of metal, then hopefully with some structural additions in the right places it'll be able to handle a 300lb guy throwing a couple G's at it.

the nicest thing about the smart lock is auto-locking.. it locks on its own now, and if it locks you out its no big deal since its keyless.. in my years Ive had everything from Crackheads, Drunks and even LEO's invite them selves in my front door when I was home..
Auto locking is really nice + automation on the door between the garage and the house.

You'd probably appreciate those doors with built in wiring / conductive hinges / electro-mechanical locks.
that quite frankly is the best damn night lock you'll find
And it works well for toddler proofing.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And it works well for toddler proofing.
that was the main reason I got it, I had put chains on the door to keep my son from freezing to death outside in the winter.. but they pissed me off always getting slammed into the door and fucking up both the door and the frame.. they provided no security other than toddler proofing.. put this on and now you get both, brute force my code if you want.. still not going to get you inside [quietly] if someone is sleeping on the other side.

Night locks should defeat all lock pickers, presuming you have an alarm system.. the only advantage to picking a lock vs kicking the door in or breaking a window is not alerting anyone inside.. and if there is nobody inside, its up to the alarm system to catch em and notify accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
since we are talking about front door security now, I'll share this great find: http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Pro.../dp/B00D2K367Y
Thanks for that - checked out the link - checked out the reviews - and bought one. From amazon.com as they are over twice the price on amazon.co.uk
I'd been thinking about adding another lock or bolt to the back door - but this is so much better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.