New to IP cameras and need some help picking out components

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell from the pictures or even RCA's site what this wire is made of. Based on the pictures I am going to say that it is -at best- a stranded copper cable, but potentially (and, likely, at the price) copper clad aluminum (CCA).

Will it work? Maybe, but I personally wouldn't risk it - I would find a wire that positively says that it is copper
Do you know of any pre-made cat6 solid copper?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you know of any pre-made cat6 solid copper?
If you want to go with stranded I would likely try this:

You won't really find a solid copper patch cable as they are all stranded so that's probably your best bet

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Look at Monoprice if you go with pre-made cables.

Monoprice is also a good place to get wire if you terminate your own cables.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help I've recieved so far! I have a running list of components to get now. I'll get everything coming within the next week, then it's time for install!

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I decided to make the cables myself. Before I order does this look like the right stuff?
A quick glance it all looks fine, you'll need a crimper (you can get a Klein brand they are good)

Can you share a link to the ethernet plugs? That's the only part I'm not sure of, I don't personally know what "with inserts" means but somebody else could also probably opine

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Go with the pass-through type RJ45s. Much easier to work with especially if new to it.

Some people like the ones with the inserts but I hate the things. Two parts that you have to deal with getting the wires into right and the inserts are tiny and too fiddly for my big fingers. Just makes it harder for me.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go with the pass-through type RJ45s. Much easier to work with especially if new to it.

Some people like the ones with the inserts but I hate the things. Two parts that you have to deal with getting the wires into right and the inserts are tiny and too fiddly for my big fingers. Just makes it harder for me.
Im as new as they come as far as this stuff. I have some experience with heavy truck electrical but thats about it. Are the Klein pass throughs easier to work with? I found the crimper with a 50 pack of connectors for $59.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes most of us prefer pass throughs - it allows you to strip the wire to whatever length you find easiest to work with to straighten/organize the conductors. Then you slip the connector over the conductors (the small wires inside of the main CAT6 cable) and they pass through out of the front of the connector. You crimp and (depending on the tool) the crimper will trim the excess wire off of the front of the connector

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We would recommend based on distance to IDENTIFY in the thread I linked earlier.

1- cam to garage service door 10ft = 5442-3.6mm
2- cam to mailbox 40 ft or to end of driveway 60 ft = 5442-Z4E
3- cam to front door 10 ft - 5442-3.6mm
4- watching over side yard = either 5442 3.6mm for overview or a 180 camera=
5- cam to shed 60 to 80 ft = 5442-Z4E
6- cam to middle of patio 15 ft 30 to end. There is a back door that goes to patio but the patio cam should cover the entrance there. = 5442-ZE
May add one more to overlook the kids play set.
Any chance you could send links for these I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones are which. Also I think I'd like to have a two way talk cam at location 1 and 6 if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any chance you could send links for these I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones are which. Also I think I'd like to have a two way talk cam at location 1 and 6 if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
Blue Iris does support 2 way talk, but it can be a bit tricky - if it were me I would start out with your proposed 4 basic cam setup and get everything running

Then in some time if you'd like to dip your toe in 2 way talk you can easily swap the existing cams with ones that support it (or even add more cams, I guarantee you're going to want to)

Any others with differing opinion feel free to share!

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One other thing - I would suggest you start by getting everything running on the 'bench'.

Get your PC, Blue Iris, etc all playing nice with the camera before you hang it up - then once you have the hang of configuring etc you can put the camera in its ultimate location

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other thing - I would suggest you start by getting everything running on the 'bench'.

Get your PC, Blue Iris, etc all playing nice with the camera before you hang it up - then once you have the hang of configuring etc you can put the camera in its ultimate location
That makes sense. I just thought while I have all the tools out to just get it done with at one time. However with it being my first setup it might be a good idea to go that route.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two-way audio is more gimmicky than reality. It is much more like a walkie-talkie push button and talk and release button type action and it can have a several second lag.

Certainly not the best to have a conversation - more like yelling "get the f off my lawn" LOL.

A doorbell camera is a much better choice to have a conversation like experience.