New to IP cams, looking to learn

uglying

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm planning to buy a house soon and looking to source and build my first security cam system to secure it. I went from googling, to reading reddit posts (should have jumped straight there...I swear SEO has ruined practical web searching), and saw this forum mentioned as a good resource. It looks like a good knowledgeable community and I look forward to poking around.

There area few requirements I'm hoping to hit when putting together a system. I'm not sure if posting in the intro section is right, so if not I'll be sure to move it.

1) Entirely locally managed - both on the processing and storage side.
2) POE - would rather not rely on wifi or batteries, and that takes care of both.
3) 2-5 cameras - would likely just do front and back door, and possibly one camera inside to serve as a baby monitor. Maybe a couple on the sides depending on particular layout.
4) Remotely accessible via an app or web interface that plays nice with phones. Preferably through a cloudflare tunnel instead of having to run tailscale or log into the router's vpn.

and the one's I think I'm currently struggling the most with...

5) Can run from and play nice with my existing home server. I have a basic home media/home assistant server set up running ubuntu on an intel i3-13100 cpu. I really don't want to have a second device running full time when this one is always on already. Partly it's just not wanting to pay for another device, but mostly it's wanting to be efficient with electricity. I'd also like to avoid running a VM as that seems to just cause headaches, both in terms of permanently provisioning CPU cores, making use of lower level features like quicksync (hardware encoding/decoding h264 and h265), etc. If i don't have enough CPU power, I'd rather sell my CPU and upgrade to an i5/i7 rather than a whole new system. So ideally I'd find something that can run natively in linux and be spun it up as a docker container. This precludes Blue Iris, and I'm having a hard time wading through the noise, determining what's current and not, etc, when it comes to the various linux native apps (frigate, shinobi, ispy, zoneminder, bluecherry, etc). I'm hoping to find out which has the features I'm looking for, and will work best with my hardware. e.g, one that will usee quicksync (if that's even necessary/helpful).

6) Can perform some basic "AI"/"smart" type functions. I.e., can push a notification and/or flag recording for retention when a perimeter is crossed, and possibly do some more advanced things like distinguish between a person and a squirrel for instance, but not really trying to do anything like record all license plate numbers or automatically ID specific people.

To that end, one thing I'm really hoping to do here is understand how the resource allocation/workflow between the cameras and recording software works. One camera I'm looking at for instance is the IPC-T5442T-ZE. At 4MP it seems like a good balance between image quality and low light performance (I don't want a model that turns on a visible spotlight..I'd rather switch to black and white), and while the price is high, it's not prohibitively high for a couple cameras. But I just don't understand how the AI features work. I see it says that it can do things like perimeter detection, face detect, etc, and I also see that some of the software I've searched claims to do the same. So is the camera doing all the "AI" processing and just sending a signal to the NVR host with things like "intrusion detected" or "record this at higher quality." And then when software claims to do the same, is that just for cameras that don't have onboard capabilities?

I'm mostly just trying to understand how these things work before I spend a bunch of money, If anyone has any specific recommendations (e.g., the AI on hikvision cameras plays nice with zoneminder, unlike dahua, or whatever), I'd love to hear those as well though.

uglying

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I've skimmed the wiki but will be sure to give it a more in depth read.

I'm still leaning away from running a separate machine. The added electrical overhead, the lack of FOSS, and the annoyed looks from my wife when she see's another black box pop up are all pushing me away from it. It seems like a dedicated machine running blue iris is the real push around here, both from forum members and from the site itself, so I may just need to take whatever education I can get, venture out on my own, and then report back. If it turns out I can't find a good FOSS solution to run on my home server, I'll take a look at blue iris, but I'd rather wait until I know what features or functionality I'm specifically missing before I go pay to lock myself into a proprietary system.

I think the first one I try will be frigate. It's newer and hey, gotta start somewhere. It looks like it has an actively maintained home assistant integration and supports harware acceleration. To what degree we'll see - ideally I'd have a high quality stream from the camera for storage and have quick-sync down convert it to a manageable size when I want to actively monitor it remotely or when it needs further analysis, but otherwise leave it alone. I'm still not entirely clear on the "division of labor" between camera and NVR, but I guess it will be a learning experience. I'm thinking if the camera can handle all the motion detecting, the integrated gpu with quicksync can then kick in and manage any needed downscaling of the information for processing, and a usb-connected google coral can handle the object detection (distinguishing the squirrels from the people), it should perform pretty robustly.

On the subject of staying away from proprietary platforms, I keep reading that dahua cameras can only be configured and adjusted through internet explorer with an activex plugin? Is that correct? I certainly could spin up a copy of windows to do the setup and then spin it back down, but it seems like a bit of a pain and doesn't seem to point to a high concern with long term compatibility and security in general. I'm wondering if other brands at a similar price/quality intersection would let me just use firefox, or if they also require some arcane user interface like flashing morse code through the lense or performing a seance to communte with the inventor of the camera.

uglying

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks happy to be here! As an update, it looks like with the system I'm planning I wouldn't be using any if the built in AI systems if the camera. But I can't find any non-AI or non Dahua products with similar specs at a lesser or even equal price. 4MP cams seem to all use 1/3 sensors instead of 1/1.8, they're all fixed instead of variable focus, and even rei stream video seems pretty hit or miss.

I think I'm just going to accept "wasting" the onboard AI, or at least view it as a fallback if otherethod doesn't work well. Also gonna just accept internet explorer, as dirty as it feels.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks happy to be here! As an update, it looks like with the system I'm planning I wouldn't be using any if the built in AI systems if the camera. But I can't find any non-AI or non Dahua products with similar specs at a lesser or even equal price. 4MP cams seem to all use 1/3 sensors instead of 1/1.8, they're all fixed instead of variable focus, and even rei stream video seems pretty hit or miss.

I think I'm just going to accept "wasting" the onboard AI, or at least view it as a fallback if otherethod doesn't work well. Also gonna just accept internet explorer, as dirty as it feels.
If you're talking about the camera webpage compatibility issue that requires IE, you can get around that by running an extension called IE Tab that works with Chrome. It basically emulates IE functions but using Chrome. I have a webcam at work and could pull up the webpage in Chrome, but when I tried to type in the login credentials nothing happened. Once I installed the IE Tab extension then it worked perfectly. IE Tab - Run Internet Explorer in Chrome

uglying

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that just winds internet explorer up in a chrome tab wrapper, and there's no way I'm running an ActiveX app on my work laptop. I think a windows live boot USB or just a temporary VM will be fine, assuming modifying settings is essentially a one time thing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice is to run a VMS only on a machine. No different than buying an NVR - you aren't surfing the web or checking email on an NVR. Treat them the same.

Does it mean that nobody does double duty on the machine and uses BI on their daily driver computer - nope - plenty of people do, but it certainly increase the chances of something going wonky.

Yes, do a search here and elsewhere and you will find the browser used is a big deal. For some cameras, it is a bigger deal than others. Dahua PTZs for example need IE and not some IE emulator in Chrome.

It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they dont have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

Good luck finding a good camera that isn't centered around explorer lol.

Yeah even in 2023, brand new cameras coming off the line are still requiring Internet Explorer and the plug-in in many instances. Some cameras are better than others, but IE is the standard if you don't want problems.

Unfortunately Hikvision and Dahua make many of the other brands out there, so you would potentially have the same experiences. Heck even 5 times the cost Axis still recommends Internet Explorer for many of their cameras LOL.

Doesn't mean it sometimes works in other browsers, but most here will use Internet Explorer (not edge with IE tab) to ensure they see and get what they expect. Some have had good experience with Pale Moon browser.

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today

Or this way:

Trouble with new DS-2CD3B86G2T-IZHSY -missing part of menu

"But I upgraded to Win11" .... yep still available:

Internet Explorer via W11

QuoteReply
ReportEditDelete