New to LPR

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also since I have the NVR and cameras isolated, found myself setting up an NTP server to make sure the time is always correct.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i've been going into playback and seeing where there is motion and searching that way, then click the camera button which should take a screen shot. there are other ways, but this is how i go back and see what my previous adjustments look like. it's a pain in the but.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok here is my first try, tags coming in washed out. Where should I start the tweaking?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I do similar.
I use SmartPSS for playback. Much easier than the NVR interface.

Find event in timeline. (Clearly marked with orange or yellow hash Mark. Move slider to beginning of event. Hit play. When plate comes into view, hit pause. Use camera icon to snap a picture.

Tips:
  • by scrolling mouse over timeline you can zoom down to seconds very easily
  • if need be use slow motion on playback.
  • I usually only get 3-5 frames of the plate due to my angle of attack and speed of vehicle. Ymmv

How often do you really need a tag# ? For me it’s once maybe twice a month tops when something or someone has alerted me to a possible concern.

If you’re trying to catalog every plate that comes down your street, you need an automated solution. I don’t have that kinda time nor interest.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you try to dial in the tags that are stationary? once night fall everything will change. i've had people tell me more contrast and more sharpness but that wasn't the case for me. i'm still tryingto dial in my camera with not much luck honestly. i've even had help from the forum and still can't dial it in.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to zoom in a lot more. You’re trying to see everything in the scene. To focus on tags, you should t be seeing much more than 1-2 widths of the car.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do similar.
I use SmartPSS for playback. Much easier than the NVR interface.
when i use smartPSS i've noticed that my laptop will emit a loud white noise thru one speaker only in the middle of the night, it's done this 3 times now. i've reset sound card drivers, etc. didnt start doing this until i started playing with the audio via smartPSS. also i need a tag number EVERY time :) especially the one that broke into 5 cars a few weeks ago, it was all a blur on playback and i'm still pissed about it lol.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm beyond help, i've had several try to help and gave up. i'm curious to see how redemptions turns out, carry on. (popcorn)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Think in terms of the red box as your focus point. Most of the time you'll see just a patch of pavement.

capture-point.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
er, dusk is the hardest and last time you should be trying to optimize things. start with full dark night time.
as BRF mentioned, zoom in some more - you don't need the whole width of the street. moving plates will be at least 4 feet in from each curb.
then, set your night-time exposure to 1/500 or 1/1000. really. seriously. do that.

if you have an old license plate lying around, you could put it on a stand (~18" off the greound) and set it in the middle of road where you're aimed at to tune focus.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, Zoommed, waiting for another car to go by. Changed contrast 75. Thanks for the advise.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I find on corners like that most folks like to try and cut the apex close, thus I usually favor that edge of the scene a bit.

I'd park my car there running with the lights on with the wife in it... unless you see a ot of traffic

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the line correct or should I simply go top to bottom on the left side of the picture? Also, record and relay out, what are they used for? Thanks in advance for help.

Attachments

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Weird enough I had it 1/1000 but it had changed itself. Corrected now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would draw it diagonal from top left to bottom right corners for starts

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok thanks let me do that. Waiting for a victim, err I mean a vehicle lol