New to LPR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just noticed, set your minimum size Draw small box bigger than a dog for instance

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Adjusted the minimum size box. Adjusted cam as I was shooting a little too low. Will post pic as soon as vehicle goes by. IR light is set to zoomprio is that fine?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I find there's never too much IR for plates at some distance.
IR helps overcome the glare/overexposure from headlights...
Some folks even use extra IR from an external illuminator right by the cam.
(in this case, you want the IR close to the cam due to the retro-reflective nature of license plates.)

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that I got my first License plate, the bad news is that I think I am right at the edge on distance and I most plates look blurry as on picture one. The camera has zoom to max on to get those pictures. I think I will move the camera to a location that is about 20 feet closer. Will not be as straight of a shot but I think it will still be good. What do you all think?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes and its very soft.

As stated, dont use dawn/dusk as your primary test time. Wait until its dark.

1. You want a zoom of 80% or less or you will have focus issues upon day/night change
  2. More Contrast, more sharpness, leave the rest of the image controls alone
  3. DNR below 50
  4. NO WDR
  5. You will have to play with gain and Iris to get it dialed in

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again Bigredfish. Current location that is approx 80 percent zoom. You would recommend moving a little closer to target area then correct? Not hard to move, camera sitting in a bucket and a 2x4 as recommended.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure if you can

And for now force it to stay B&W using the setting under Day/Night . That will help mitigate focus shift as well.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Daytime B&W exposure I have Customized Range between 1.5 and 2.3 , somewhere in there,,

These are at 120ft and 85% zoom

rear-tag-day-0331.jpg

rear-day.jpg

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to thank Bigredfish and other that have helped me with the set up. Sorry my posts have been few. Work has been a little crazy. I think the camera is coming along, i can capture everything during day, still need work a little on the night shot. I used the information n this thread to help me. LPR camera settings

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not have been possible without your help,you have no idea how cool it feels have gotten this far. Thank you!

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
quick question, I set the time zone but for some reason it always goes back one hour. Could that be because of the NTP server?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with Customized range during the day of 0-1.5 or 0-2 and only 30 DNR and seem to be getting more even lighting on dark/bright days.. Lets the shutter compensate better than fixed manual exposure... FYI

Today is very dark overcast rainy. 1st image 1/1000 manual, 2nd one is 0-2 Customized range. Iris 35 gain 0-20

HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20200424135433_@3.jpg

HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20200424154345_@3.jpg

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is such a neat toy, once you have it I bet you never stop tweaking things lol by the way bigredfish, I lived in west palm beach for 19 years. Moved out FL little over year ago. Here is another semi dumb question, is there a way to have it auto snap a picture every time a car tigers the tripwire?