New to nvr and cams. Product suggestions

joe3180

n3wb
Reaction score
Im totally new to this subject and have no equipment yet.
I was looking for an nvr and 10+ cams. Im not really sure what kinds of features and specs I should be looking for nor what specific equipment I need.
I know I want 10+poe cams. Maybe a couple wireless cams ran off ac power if the nvr would allow but not a deal breaker. I want all storage to be at my home and no sub fees. Would like an app or some way to look remotely live. Hopefully the nvr will have a user friendly ui.
Do you need a special kind of ethernet cable to run the cameras or is a cat5 I put together myself going to work?
What is a poe switch used for?
It appears you would use them to combine feeds to 1 cable to the nvr.
Is that correct? Or is there other uses?
The blue Iris things sounds interesting. It appears to be software installed on a computer that gets plugged into the nvr?
Is that correct?
Thank you in advance for any help or direction.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Yes cat5 you put together is fine.

POE switch is how the camera is powered thru the ethernet cable. Only one cable is needed. Most NVRs have POE ports, so it is one or the other.

Wifi cams are bad. Your router won't be able to keep up with the non-buffering video.

Blue Iris is essentially an NVR. You do not need an NVR for Blue Iris just a windows computer and the software.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cat5e or cat6 cable that has copper wires of 23 or 24 awg and a proper rated sheath for inwall or attic installation is what most recommend .. and it is typically a possi ble diy job to run the cabling if you have one helper to ensure the cable does not kink

joe3180

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj I think I will take that suggestion. So if I were to buy that cam, poe switch, and the software I would be up and running then? Does using blue Iris instead of a nvr cut out any features the cameras may have or could it be beneficial to have the nvr too?
@mat200 Good to know on the wiring. Think the cat6 would give any benefit over cat5e? I just ask because it is just a little harder to work with and as far as I know I wouldn't be dealing with anything requiring it. I I have both cat6 and cat5e on hand so I can do either. Just a case of the benefits out weighing the downsides.