New to NVR's

SolarCity

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello team,

I'm looking to build my own Hikvision NVR system from the ground up. My research has led me to Hikvision cameras. There are very very few to no resources on how to go about doing this, especially for someone starting out with minimal knowledge. Could you guys point me to some good resources or possibly even directly tell me what to buy? I'm looking for at least 8-channel system with above 1080p resolution.

I currently have a 1080p 4-channel Samsung SDR-B773300. I'm needing something higher quality and more reliable as well as relatively inexpensive if possible. Furthermore, the Samsung suite of programs and apps are just horrible and consume way too much processing power. Lastly, I could not for the life of me get Blue Iris to work with it, maybe just simply incompatible.

If you guys can point me to good reading resources for total beginners or list out what I should be buying and from where would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello team,

I'm looking to build my own Hikvision NVR system from the ground up. My research has led me to Hikvision cameras. There are very very few to no resources on how to go about doing this, especially for someone starting out with minimal knowledge. Could you guys point me to some good resources or possibly even directly tell me what to buy? I'm looking for at least 8-channel system with above 1080p resolution.

I currently have a 1080p 4-channel Samsung SDR-B773300. I'm needing something higher quality and more reliable as well as relatively inexpensive if possible. Furthermore, the Samsung suite of programs and apps are just horrible and consume way too much processing power. Lastly, I could not for the life of me get Blue Iris to work with it, maybe just simply incompatible.

If you guys can point me to good reading resources for total beginners or list out what I should be buying and from where would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
if you are building from the ground up, then user blue iris and dahua starlight or hikvision low light cams...it will be lightyears better than an NVR.

SolarCity

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you recommend any cameras and from either brand? If building ground up proves to be too difficult is there a bundle I should consider? The thing about my Samsung system is that it was all bundled with a DVR and 1TB of storage and it was very easy to set up. I'm hoping to replicate a similar experience with ease of installation and usability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you recommend any cameras and from either brand? If building ground up proves to be too difficult is there a bundle I should consider? The thing about my Samsung system is that it was all bundled with a DVR and 1TB of storage and it was very easy to set up. I'm hoping to replicate a similar experience with ease of installation and usability.
bundles are crap -as you have seen....see threads on the dahua starlight and hikvision low light..all the info you need is there.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@SolarCity,
FYI, I just replied your other thread regarding trying to get BI to work with your Samsung DVR ==>> here <<==.

SolarCity

n3wb
Reaction score
Just because it says 1080p does not mean the cam is worth anything.

Here's 2 pictures, one from our 1080p system at work (night owl packaged system), and one from my house where I just installed some Dahua Starlight 5231's. Both of these have a similar lighting scenario, a single flood light located near the camera which is on for these pics.

Crappy Night Owl
View attachment 23833

Dahua Starlight
View attachment 23834
I agree and I learned a lot about cameras while searching for better solutions. After countless reads, I found out NVR is the better solution, but NVR bundles are not the way to really go. I want to build, but again I don't know anything about setting up a NVR from scratch or what cameras are even good without buying a Chinese Hikvision for example.

SolarCity

n3wb
Reaction score
Btw folks, I wanted to mention that my home has been the target of multiple acts of vandalism lately. Each time the camera system now BARELY captures enough and never really the best quality. And on the most serious note, it's failed 4-5 times albeit not during any incident, but thats a risk I can no longer afford. Everything is in the process of being submitted to the police and we're working hard to catch this perp.