New to smart home

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to the smart home world and I want to have a complete surveillance system. I have multiple cameras (Wyze and blink). I want to have the capability of 24/7 recording and adding the feeds to sharptools dashboards.

the two routes are buying a complete solution from Amazon Or build a solution using Tinycam pro installed on a reliable hardware.

Need your advice.

Thanks

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Smart home solutions and surveillance cameras dont have much too do with each other unless you build out a system wherein the two different systems talk to each other. Some smart home solutions allow for running cameras through them and many security camera systems have AI built into them along with other advanced features.

I use Blue Iris as well as HomeSeer. The two systems use HTTP calls in order keep them both in sync. Both can override the other depending on alerts, time of day, doors being opened, etc. Are you looking to integrate these two types of systems?

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
I am struggling to understand the setup.

1-Cameras
2-software for the cameras (tinycam or blueiris)
3-storage like NAS

am I missing anything ?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on that, seems like you want a security camera setup? Residential? Inside/outside? Budget? I don’t see anything about a smart home listed in your three bullets.

I run BI with HomeSeer. When I first installed BI with AI it worked really well. Alerts can be turned on or off based on what profile is currently running. But the profie would only change based on time of day. So I integrated HS so that when the garage door is activated or open, it would change the BI profile to no alerts. This was helpful to me as I would get alerts when my wife would pull into the garage.
Same for the back yard. If either one of us went into the back yard I would start getting alerts. Yes, you can manually change the profile, but that becomes a chore as we are in and out a lot. So I put a door sensor on the back door, wired it into HS, and now when the door is open I no longer get alerts from BI. We can go in and out all day and I don’t have to manually change anything. Its not perfect, but much better than getting alerts all day as we go about our business.

I like BI as I can run almost any brand of camera. If you go with a NVR you are typically forced to only run cameras from that manufacturer. Most NVR’s allow for a hard drive within them so no need for a NAS. Same for BI. Just use the hard drive in the computer.

Lastly, BI allows for the most configuration of any other setup I have seen. The ability to tune the system along with AI can get you to a point where false alerts are pretty rare. I ran a NVR system for 4 some odd years and almost every day i got false alerts. Eventually you just turn off the alerts and review the footage manually to see what happened. Got to be very annoying. Now with BI if I get an alert, I know it is something I need to pay attention to. Just what I thought a camera system was supposed to do!

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your cheapest option is Tinycam pro. I used it for years as a baby cam monitor and it is great software . After you use that you'll probably want to try something made for surveillance.... TinycamPro if I recall only runs on Android devices so that is your first hurdle to deal with in smart home...

Another option to consider is Synology surveillance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread that discusses the importance of the proper focal length over MP for the distance to identify, complete with camera recommendations based on distance:

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Home Assistant, Blue Iris, Dahua Cameras in my house. They all play together nicely serving different purposes. Ask questions if you have any. When I first started, I had 1001 questions so do not be shy.
Thanks, I think I have to go to the blue iris route, not sure about HA. The problem is that I am a Mac guy and BI does not help me. Apparently I have to be windows person unless there is a workaround

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I have to go to the blue iris route, not sure about HA. The problem is that I am a Mac guy and BI does not help me. Apparently I have to be windows person unless there is a workaround
Think of it another way....If you went the NVR route, that is basically running its own software that isn't apple. Actually it is probably Linux and closer to Windows.

So you buy a refurbished computer for less than you would pay for an NVR and follow the steps here to load BI and turn off Windows updates and then you have a more powerful NVR.

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
Think of it another way....If you went the NVR route, that is basically running its own software that isn't apple. Actually it is probably Linux and closer to Windows.

So you buy a refurbished computer for less than you would pay for an NVR and follow the steps here to load BI and turn off Windows updates and then you have a more powerful NVR.
Agree, any idea which machine (configuration) makes sense ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many will say don't buy anything less than an 8th generation due to the availability to update to Win11 in the future.

Personally, I am like if you can find a 4th gen at a great price, it will work well. We are turning off Windows updates anyway, so who cares LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from laptops as they are not designed for 24/7 operation and will throttle the CPU to lower the temp.

@Flintstone61 is our resident expert on finding cheap stuff, so what can you find a 4th gen SFF for?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Desktop requires screen, keyboard and mouse :(
No they don't. You Remote Desktop or TeamViewer into it from a MAC lol.

Most of us here run our BI system headless, which means no screen, keyboard or mouse.

You would probably initially want to hook it up to a TV or monitor just to get the computer setup, but after that, nope.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That starts to get more reasonable. Let's see if Flintstone can source one cheaper LOL.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if your really hating the idea of all the parts that go with a PC...how about an All in one? How many cams? this thing might have a thermal throttling processor. I'd have to research that to be sure.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.