New to smart home

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have this one in the 7020 flavor. It has the same intel chip as my 9020 Tower. i5- 4590. i can run 9 cameras, with it and facebook, and Youtube, and Email, and ebay, and ipcamtalk, and it keeps on going.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the mini's use throttling SKU's on the intel processor. some people have had problems with those chips on continous stream recording. AND the consider people typically record video on a spinning disk. ( surveilance drive) usually a 3.5" hard drive.
Some small PC's dont have a bay to slip in a second drive. esp. a full size drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The only problem I see with the 7020 sff is a correct power plug for a 2nd SATA drive. I see 3 SATA ports onboard.
i wonder if a guy can source the correct power plug with 2 dongles of SATA power.
maybe the 9020 ( more features) has it natively.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
According to the Optiplex Wiki the 7040/7070 SFF's have an m.2 onboard SSD slot, and Also can house a full 3.5 Spinning drive, which allows a surveillance drive for storing the video streams. plus you move up a generation or 2 in hardware capabilities.
Maybe you can find a PC geek to throw all together and load Blue Iris.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
stay away from the 4th generation i5-4590 small form factor Dells in the 7020/9020 range because they lack full support for 2 real hard drives. Super geeks could Git-r_done, but you need simple and easy because you still got a road ahead.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ran an NVR for 4 years myself! At first it is all just so exciting and I was so new to it all I just thought “This is just how security camera systems work”.
After the first few months of excitement wore off, not a day went by that I was impressed (you can read my many posts on that subject) but it had 4 cameras and things got recorded dangit!
I had 2 friends at work that were running BI. They could do things that my NVR could not even imagine, but I stuck with it. Mostly because I thought that BI was complicated. Then, about 2 years ago, I finally pulled the plug and switched. My only thought once BI was up and running was this: “why did I not do this earlier?”

Honestly though, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You still have not mentioned what you are trying to cover. If it is your pets inside, then an NVR would work fine (I do that as well). If it is to monitor the mail delivery then an NVR will work well also. However, if you have actual security concerns, then a prudent person would thoughtfully review what value is installing a system that if damage occurs to something, how happy will you be if you present the police with an image that they cannot use?

So maybe choose based on how you can best help yourself post incident! Because cameras are mainly reactive, not proactive (if your not pet monitoring). Meaning that you record the incident, then take action against the perp later. Maybe that will help you to determine which approach is more desirable for your situation.

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
I ran an NVR for 4 years myself! At first it is all just so exciting and I was so new to it all I just thought “This is just how security camera systems work”.
After the first few months of excitement wore off, not a day went by that I was impressed (you can read my many posts on that subject) but it had 4 cameras and things got recorded dangit!
I had 2 friends at work that were running BI. They could do things that my NVR could not even imagine, but I stuck with it. Mostly because I thought that BI was complicated. Then, about 2 years ago, I finally pulled the plug and switched. My only thought once BI was up and running was this: “why did I not do this earlier?”

Honestly though, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You still have not mentioned what you are trying to cover. If it is your pets inside, then an NVR would work fine (I do that as well). If it is to monitor the mail delivery then an NVR will work well also. However, if you have actual security concerns, then a prudent person would thoughtfully review what value is installing a system that if damage occurs to something, how happy will you be if you present the police with an image that they cannot use?

So maybe choose based on how you can best help yourself post incident! Because cameras are mainly reactive, not proactive (if your not pet monitoring). Meaning that you record the incident, then take action against the perp later. Maybe that will help you to determine which approach is more desirable for your situation.
Thanks for sharing your journey, it makes full sense, my use case is to start with four outdoor cameras 24/7 with possible expansion

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVR's exist as they do fill certain requirements.

If post incident, an overview of how many people and where they moved to works well with your concerns, then consumer level cameras may be the answer (often run by NVR)

If you think you might want to describe the individuals (hair color/clothing/facial features/something they may have in their hands/etc) then consider prosumer cameras, not consumer (possibly not run by an NVR)

MyMaJa

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR's exist as they do fill certain requirements.

If post incident, an overview of how many people and where they moved to works well with your concerns, then consumer level cameras may be the answer (often run by NVR)

If you think you might want to describe the individuals (hair color/clothing/facial features/something they may have in their hands/etc) then consider prosumer cameras, not consumer (possibly not run by an NVR)
Is it more on the camera side rather than the NVR ?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Camera choice is typically limited by your NVR choice.

NVR's by design typically limit camera functionality.

So anytime you place an NVR into the mix, you are generally limiting video/image quality.

None of that matters until one day you might need actionable footage. That is when quality comes into the conversation. Which is why I have encouraged you to discuss your specific concerns.