New USA Resident ready to see and know as much as possible

NorasRage

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time. I am not a novice but am finally at a point where I want to install a camera system in my new home. I have been looking at these forums for about 2 weeks now and decided to join. I have always been excited about a security system , but really didn't have the place to install them.

4 PTZ , 2 additional on the side of the house if needed. I also wanted to have 2 Cameras at the gates that will capture all traffic on the road.

I have been looking at the following , Id like to setup a siren/Alarm and set a Tripwire around the house about 15 feet out.

4x Dahua AI 4MP Starlight SD49425XB-HNR
1x Dahua 4K 32CH 16POE NVR 12MP 2HDDs H.265+ ePOE Video Recorder NVR5232-16P-4KS2E

1. Do the SD49425XB-HNR support motion tracking, I see detection but I want to make sure it will track. Also what do you think about these cameras?
2. Please let me know if there are any PTZ Cameras that you feel are a better deal for under $450 a camera.
3. I have seen the new ones with Active Defense , I am interested . Are there any cameras that have 2 way audio with a siren that have advances IVS and tracking features for under $500 a Camera?
4. What cameras would you recommend at the road. I have 2 gates at the front of my property I was wanting to point 1 camera facing one side of the street and 1 camera facing the other. Then setting a Tripwire at the gate section (sits about 6 feet from the road)
5. Do I need any additional cameras like I have currently in the picture on the side of my house if I set touring on with zones?

Home Security Cam layout.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of light (like stadium quality light), go with the 2MP version of that PTZ - the 49225. I have both versions and prefer the 2MP version. They are both on the same sensor so the 4MP needs double the light at night. Purchase it from @EMPIRETECANDY, a member here on his amazon store as he is one of, if not the only vendor that still has it with autotrack capability.

Keep in mind PTZs are great, but they will always be looking the wrong way. Touring will not catch it and all that constant movement will kill the PTZ quicker. Plus tripwires will not work while the camera is actually touring - it needs to be stationary on a preset with IVS rules set. It is best to also have a few fixed cams that can be used as spotter cams to help point the PTZ to where the motion is. The fixed cams would be where you would set up the 15 foot perimeter.

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

You will need more than 4 PTZ and two for your road.

It is why we recommend to purchase one good varifocal and test it at all the proposed locations day and night to figure out the correct focal lengths and cams.

A few other tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.

To identify someone with the wide-angle 2.8mm lens that most people opt for, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1642003390660.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed 60 feet away to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These cameras meet all your requirements.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes unless it is a PTZ or varifocal that can "flatten the angle by optically zooming further out) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Starlight and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

Do you want to be able to capture plates? Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1642003530269.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

PTZs are nice without a doubt, but unless you're going to be watching them constantly, all day every day 24/7, they'll be looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time and miss what you really want to capture. Sure, auto tracking will work to one extent or another, but it can't substitute complete stationery coverage. A PTZ can be triggered by motion detected in a fixed camera and then it really does what you're trying to do. Whether that can be done in an NVR I have no idea, but I know it can be done in Blue Iris.

The best thing to do is to get a single varifocal camera and use a test rig to test out each proposed location during the day and at night. Walk test it yourself. You can use the GUI from the camera to see what's going on or use the free video recorder available from Dahua to record with. Test carefully, over a few days, to make sure you can identify, really identify, not just know because you can recognize.

Remember a camera system is for surveillance not security. An alarm system is for security.

Last edited:

NorasRage

n3wb
Reaction score
Just had a long long conversation (Thanks again) With WittAJ , I have a much better understanding of my usecase and best practices for my setup. I really appreciate the time you guys put in to educate. As I work on this project I will try and come back with updates. I am really excited to get things rolling.

Thanks again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just had a long long conversation (Thanks again) With WittAJ , I have a much better understanding of my usecase and best practices for my setup. I really appreciate the time you guys put in to educate. As I work on this project I will try and come back with updates. I am really excited to get things rolling.

Thanks again
Hi @NorasRage

Remember, it's OK to just start with one camera to learn a bit first ..

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned, start slow and build, you learn so much doing it this way and you avoid undiscovered pitfalls in your plan.

In the last 12 months; started with one Dahua, have four now active, several more I bought that did not get mounted before Winter arrived.

:welcome: