New Zealand Rural living

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone Mark from little old rural Oamaru, South Island, New Zealand here. I have been using the forum for the last several months but hadn't yet introduced myself. I live a busy life trying to do 2 jobs. Driving, and part time working on a farm. I have only recently got into an interest in security cameras. Never really needed them here until this country started going soft on crime and keeping the crims out of jail. New Goverment are all about rehabilitation. I do home installs of cameras for friends and people i meet out on my job.
Worked for Telecom, Waitaki Power and Stats NZ. I have a degree in computing and IT. I have an interest in Home Theatre so designed my own. Still working on upgrading it but Andy here has diminished my funds. I like building and challenging things. We have crap internet as i live out of town on a rural hobby farm which used to be a poultry farm was only getting 5Mb download and not even 1 up as all we had was the old copper network from many years ago. Have just upgraded that to 4G which is slightly better mostly runs 30MB downolad 3-4 upload. I don't think Chorus the new division of Telecom have any interest in putting out this way as not cost effective enough. So stuck with this now until Starlink improve.
Had a bad reaction with the Pfizer vaccine which ended up giving me a seizure so not allowed to drive for 12 months unless overturned by Neurosurgon. One of the unlucky 5% of people that have reactions. The health system here sucks so i have lost a considerable amount of my income for the year. Health system here sucks and don't want to know about it. Business force it on you to keep you job and when it turns to shit they don't want to know you.
For a month there after the brain was pretty hazy but its pretty clear now, must have reset it and cleared a lot of shit out of it because for some reason the brain just feels more switched on.
Not much to do in Oamaru it is a small town and hardly any shops with staff that sell shit gear and have little knowledge of technology so all my gear I have to import.
I love my coffee and am always up for a good yarn.
Live close to the road not to much traffic but the roads are shit and my sheds are easily accessed so have had to take several several more precautions since crime increased and govt let all the crims back in to the country.
Andy has kindly provided with enough gear to sink a battleship now upgrades are alreay planned.
Any one interested in a holiday in New Zealand message me. You wont find me anywhere else as don't do social media other than this and audio forum. Have a spare room for any member wanting a holiday, security check pending :))

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
waves from Across the Tasman

Did you here the one about the Australian Farmer who went to New Zealand to see how they farmed their sheep?

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We don't want them here either ;). Australia is returning to sender.
I don't blame u we don't either, just the the govt wants them yet they don't live by them. There's plenty of ocean between Aust and NZ they could have had.

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
waves from Across the Tasman

Did you here the one about the Australian Farmer who went to New Zealand to see how they farmed their sheep?
I hope that wasn't the farmer who pissed off the roof of the stadium during the state of Origin break. Would have to be us wouldn't it giving us all a bad name again. That's why i prefer the rural life not as many idiots close by but getting worse.

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kia Ora Mark, from another Mark.
I'm further up north in the big city (Auckland).

Aunty Jacinda doesn't have a grip on crime rates. I've seen it at my local town centre/shopping mall with organised crime breaking in.
Hey I am lucky then we don't have any malls out here the.
I am sure she can take them home and rehabilitate them

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Late night just finished a measure up for some cameras for my neighbour. He provides plenty of fresh vegies to me. Saves me heaps and pays better for any work i do for him than my other full time job.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Wasn't there a story about Australia being populated early on via Prison ships? Labor camps? :)
DNA identified us as Irish, and that we have 3rd-5th cousins in New Zealand and Australia.
So yeah our family is partly responsible for criminals running wild down Under. LOL...

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wasn't there a story about Australia being populated early on via Prison ships? Labor camps? :)
DNA identified us as Irish, and that we have 3rd-5th cousins in New Zealand and Australia.
So yeah our family is partly responsible for criminals running wild down Under. LOL...
Yes Australia did originally house convicts. Years ago i visited Australia Sydney and there was a place on our tour called little Sydney town. I still have the pamphlets somewhere. It was one of the original penal colonies, but was now a tourist attraction, Heaps of pesky flies nice and how and awesome Apple Cider havent tasted any decent cider since only rubbish stuff