Newb setting Dahua cameras and switches.

Reaction score
Good day,

I just received 8 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE through Andy. I've read a bunch of posts about setting up these cameras. I'm still a little confused.

Here is my set up. Pc hooked up to a POE switch which is then hooked up to one of the cameras.

Do I change my ip on the pc to the exact ip of the camera? 192.168.108

Then what is process and what am I doing? Do I change each camera to a different IP address? Do I need an internet connection to do this?

Also......

I have a modem/router from my ISP which is bridged (located basement). I then have a netgear nighthawk router plugged into it(located upstairs). I plan on plugging the switch into the basement modem and having the dedicated pc near it. I have a cat5e running from the basement modem out to my garage which has its own wifi router(120ft from house). I plan on having a 5 port poe switch(hooked to uplink on switch in house) in the garage with a few cameras attached. Any issues or tips on this set up.

Sorry if this is confusing to understand.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No don't set the computer to the same IP. Every device needs a unique IP address but they also need to be on the same subnet.
In other words set the PC's IP address to something between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254, but not *.108.

Connect the cameras one at at time, and change their ip addresses as you do.

Reaction score
No don't set the computer to the same IP. Every device needs a unique IP address but they also need to be on the same subnet.
In other words set the PC's IP address to something between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254, but not *.108.

Connect the cameras one at at time, and change their ip addresses as you do.

So once I connect to the camera and change the ip, is that all I'm doing?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
start slow
1) what is the IP address of your router ?
2) what is the IP address of your computer ?

The first three numbers of each should be the same .

if the first three number are 192.168.1 then I would set the first camera to 192.168.1.201.
Use Internet explorer Or download PALEMOON 32 bit. to login to your camera at 192.168.1.108 to change the IP address . Make use you set the ip address to static, disable DHCP.