NEWB Trying to get some assistance

Reaction score
I'll join the fray.
What camera would work best for you?
It's simple...varifocal Dahua 5442 series camera. Done! This camera covers all bases.
Now, if you need a specific camera other than something of general.... varifocal Dahua 5442 series camera! Done, again! :)
And you buy the camera from Andy here on this site. No where else.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually Night Owl has analog up to 4K LOL.
It is possible that they are using some other type of connection - like SDI or something similar. That could give a much higher resolution over a single wire like that.

Edit - Yup. I found this picture on their website. That BNC connector is likely for an SDI signal and the red connector is actually power, not audio. My bad......

Last edited:

basil_

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll join the fray.
What camera would work best for you?
It's simple...varifocal Dahua 5442 series camera. Done! This camera covers all bases.
Now, if you need a specific camera other than something of general.... varifocal Dahua 5442 series camera! Done, again! :)
And you buy the camera from Andy here on this site. No where else.
I didn't even noticed this thread had two pages already. Thank you for the suggestion.

For every vendor like this one below that informs buyers about the hacked camera, probably 15 do not.

Other than paying a premium to purchase from an authorized US dealer, then one should purchase from a reputable seller with a proven track record. In my experiences Andy has done so. I have not seen an AliExpress or Ebay seller that offers a unit cheaper, or certainly not cheaper enough than Andy does to justify the risk.
I am ready to buy some cameras and i think Andy's memorial day sale on this post: 2021 Memorial Day Promotion
is the perfect opportunity to save some money. As @Holbs suggested i think the 5442 varifocal would be the best option. I might get a few to start. SO based on the naming convention, ONLY the ones with -AS have audio? Am i understanding that right?

I have a budget of about $500-600 to spend cameras. Looking into buying this switch -- amazon.com. Still looking for a computer and waiting to see if there are any end of life machines at my job.

@wittaj my FOMO is kicking in badly looking at these savings given the microchip shortage. How does IPC-T3241T-ZAS compare with the IPC-T5442T-ZE. Does the 5442 not have sound?
NOT TALKING ABOUT MEGAPIXELS lol. I am talking feature wise, is it the smart AI human, animal car recognition?

I appreciate your input, trying to put in an order with andy during his sale.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The T5442 has sound. The bullet version does not.

The T5442 will beat the T3241 as the 5442 has the optimal MP/sensor combination.

T3241 will beat most 4MP and 8MP that are put on the same 1/2.8" sensor, but the 5442 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't even noticed this thread had two pages already. Thank you for the suggestion.

I am ready to buy some cameras and i think Andy's memorial day sale on this post: 2021 Memorial Day Promotion
is the perfect opportunity to save some money. As @Holbs suggested i think the 5442 varifocal would be the best option. I might get a few to start. SO based on the naming convention, ONLY the ones with -AS have audio? Am i understanding that right?

I have a budget of about $500-600 to spend cameras. Looking into buying this switch -- amazon.com. Still looking for a computer and waiting to see if there are any end of life machines at my job.

@wittaj my FOMO is kicking in badly looking at these savings given the microchip shortage. How does IPC-T3241T-ZAS compare with the IPC-T5442T-ZE. Does the 5442 not have sound?
NOT TALKING ABOUT MEGAPIXELS lol. I am talking feature wise, is it the smart AI human, animal car recognition?

I appreciate your input, trying to put in an order with andy during his sale.
To save some $$$... do you really need a 16port POE switch? Keep in mind the total watts you will be using. That unit you linked has 150W. Dahua cameras run 3-5W per camera like the 5442 (PTZ, LPR, 30mm-60mm maybe more watts). Of course, you do not want to get close to 150W anyways so...that switch could handle 8 or 9 cameras.
I started out with a dinky cheap 4 port POE switch for my first 4 initial cameras. At the time, I said to myself...4 should be enough!
Well, 20+ cameras later.... :)
Always keep in mind POE switch from eBay, Craigslist, local auctions (I stress...local auctions, especially if you have one of the Amazon return auction houses nearby) I was able to snag a FREE Adtran NetVersant 24port POE switch (had to get the software to login and change parameters around) from a company upgrading to latest/greatest Cisco. I eventually donated it to a fellow member here on IPCT (he paid for shiipping only) when I upgraded to a Ubiquiti 48 port POE at a local Amazon return auction for a measly $200 from the full retail of $800+.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

basil_

n3wb
Reaction score
To save some $$$... do you really need a 16port POE switch? Keep in mind the total watts you will be using. That unit you linked has 150W. Dahua cameras run 3-5W per camera like the 5442 (PTZ, LPR, 30mm-60mm maybe more watts). Of course, you do not want to get close to 150W anyways so...that switch could handle 8 or 9 cameras.
I started out with a dinky cheap 4 port POE switch for my first 4 initial cameras. At the time, I said to myself...4 should be enough!
Well, 20+ cameras later.... :)
Always keep in mind POE switch from eBay, Craigslist, local auctions (I stress...local auctions, especially if you have one of the Amazon return auction houses nearby) I was able to snag a FREE Adtran NetVersant 24port POE switch (had to get the software to login and change parameters around) from a company upgrading to latest/greatest Cisco. I eventually donated it to a fellow member here on IPCT (he paid for shiipping only) when I upgraded to a Ubiquiti 48 port POE at a local Amazon return auction for a measly $200 from the full retail of $800+.
@Holbs I am also doing a project to make a network closet at the house and make drops to be less reliant on Wi-Fi on rooms with dead spots. How can i find one of those amazon warehouses? I have seen some warehouses around my area but im not sure how to go about buying them other than going in the amazon warehouse website. Another reason is future proofing, I don’t want to have to go through the replacement process unless i really have to. Im trying to acquire some at work but it’s becoming a bit harder to acquire. The computers at auctions area bit higher than an NVR at the moment I wonder if it has to do with the shortage of everything in the market.

basil_

n3wb
Reaction score
The T5442 has sound. The bullet version does not.

The T5442 will beat the T3241 as the 5442 has the optimal MP/sensor combination.

T3241 will beat most 4MP and 8MP that are put on the same 1/2.8" sensor, but the 5442 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor.
@wittaj Would the T3241 be a good option for overview of an area? To support the 5442 i bought?

Reaction score
@wittaj Would the T3241 be a good option for overview of an area? To support the 5442 i bought?
for starters... hibid.com is a good place to search within so many miles of local auction houses.
The auction house my advertise that they are Amazon return auction house. Or you tell when there are 1000 lots of Amazon pictures with reference to Amazon full price tags. Be forewarned about auctions... sometimes you get NIB (new in box), sometimes you get used with missing parts.
If you really get into auctions, ask questions and all that. I have been attending auctions for the last 15 years. In person & more and more, online. It's a science :)

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as networking gear, I've had good success with EBay. There are tons of equipment coming from companies that have replaced their systems and sold/given their stuff to resellers.

Personally I have Aruba networking switches. They offer a "P" version which is POE and have 24 and 48 port options (the "T" models are not POE). There are several different levels on switches available (S2500, S3500, etc). I have a Aruba S2500-48P switch and my parents have a Aruba S2500-24P switch. Both have worked flawlessly. The Aruba switches do NOT require any license or software key to work, so if you ever got into advanced networking like VLANs or advanced routing, these switches would work great without any restrictions.

I'm sure if you live in a larger city, you can probably find local resellers that will offer the same type of equipment - perhaps even at a lower price if you walk in to buy it.

basil_

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright community!

I am back...and hopefully this post has helped some people. It has 1,000 views! :)

I have searched the forums with no information and the cliff notes only show the VPN part of the network.
However, I followed the suggestions here and purchased a managed POE switch (Cisco WS-C3560G-24PS-S) which I connected directly to my ASUS wireless router but IPs are not being assigned to the cameras because switches are dumb and don't care about IPs or assigning them. Luckily, the device is a Layer 3 and i can make it handle a pool of IPs if needed. My second option would be buying a router but trying to not do that at the moment. Can someone share their layout and/or config file or maybe point me to a forum post that shows how to get this going. Im in the beginner (scratching the intermediate realm of networking) but this IP camera world and the settings needed are stumping me a bit.

Thank you!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright community!

I am back...and hopefully this post has helped some people. It has 1,000 views! :)

I have searched the forums with no information and the cliff notes only show the VPN part of the network.
However, I followed the suggestions here and purchased a managed POE switch (Cisco WS-C3560G-24PS-S) which I connected directly to my ASUS wireless router but IPs are not being assigned to the cameras because switches are dumb and don't care about IPs or assigning them. Luckily, the device is a Layer 3 and i can make it handle a pool of IPs if needed. My second option would be buying a router but trying to not do that at the moment. Can someone share their layout and/or config file or maybe point me to a forum post that shows how to get this going. Im in the beginner (scratching the intermediate realm of networking) but this IP camera world and the settings needed are stumping me a bit.

Thank you!
You always should set a static unique IP in each camera's setup interface.