Newb with Questions About Reolink Cameras

HomeWPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! As much as I would like to venture into the Blue Iris world, I decided I'd rather keep things simple with our system. Have plans to install a 6-8 cameras, an 8ch POE switch, an iOS app, and 128/256gb micro cards.

As a start, I purchased two Reolink RLC510a bullets (5mp, 80 deg FOV) and a Reolink RLC1240a dome (12mp, 121 deg FOV) from Amazon a few days ago. I was surprised to find the RLC510a had noticeably better resolution than the RLC1240a (both day and night). With all things being equal, I realize a wider FOV requires more pixels to maintain the same resolution; however, I thought the extra 7mp in the RLC1240a would more than make up for this.

A 2nd issue I noticed with the RLC1240a is the spotlight. Even when used on the dimmest setting, during an alert it causes white flare (or ghosting) on the left and right side of the image (the two spotlight LED's are located on each side of the lens). It's bad enough that it's hard to see anything on the left/right sides.

Giving some thought to exchanging the RLC1240a for another unit if it's defective. If this is the way the RLC1240a normally operates, I may consider using two RLC510a to get the coverage I need for our driveway. I've also given some thought about switching to Hikvision if they have any good 4k cameras with at least 110 deg FOV. Did notice the Hikvision ios app is rated a bit higher than the Reolink. After testing it a few days, the Reolink ios app handle alerts reliably (accurately identifies our cat as pet/animal). However, accessing alerts after the fact is very cumbersome.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you mentioned Reolinks....

Keep in mind that reolinks, especially at night are horrible.

If all you care about is to look around, then probably ok. But if you plan to be able to use them in the event something happens and you need to get the police involved, return them....

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1708801531582.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1708801585568.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1708801599328.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged someone to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night.

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many will say Reolink has one of the better apps out there (they invest in the app experience over the quality of the cameras), so if you find that you struggle with that app, then you will struggle with Hikvision apps. Or Dahua. Or any quality camera that can provide IDENTIFY quality at night.

The better camera manufacturers figure people will use another platform for their VMS needs so they don't invest a lot in their app whereas the consumer grade cameras know the app experience will be what drives sales and they invest in the app.

The consumer grade companies invest more in their app experience because that is what is driving their sales are a consumer that wants the ease/simplicity/simple setup and app more so than camera quality.

Nothing in this arena is true plug-n-play if quality and able to IDENTIFY is important.

All cameras need to be dialed in to the field of view. Even the best cameras left on default will result in motion blur and ghosting at night. It is the same process for the dialing in the camera whether you have BI or an NVR.

I have had both and personally find BI easier to setup than an NVR.

If you want true plug-n-play simplicity and do not care about nighttime motion quality, then go with one of the consumer brands - Ring, Arlo, Reolink, Nest, Blink, etc. They are true plug-n-play because those cameras all run on default/auto settings with very little, to no ability to change camera parameters.

Simply download their app and scan the camera QR code and you are up and running, with a better app experience also.

But their plug-n-play simplicity comes at a cost of nighttime performance and ability to customize stuff, but obviously many do not seem to care about that as those systems are popular and those consumer grade systems are a perfect fit for those that want simplicity and not having to learn how to use an NVR.

Just don't expect those cameras to provide anything useful to the police as shown in this thread:

If you decide that you want more than just looking around, then don't chase MP.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Reaction score
As much as I would like to venture into the Blue Iris world, I decided I'd rather keep things simple with our system.
BI is quite simple. I started with consumer grade cams with a cloud experience and an iPhone app. That did not last long. Found this forum and bought Dahua cams and BI. Never looked back.

But I am retired and like to do my own thing. This has become a hobby, some say an obsession, that I like. While my neighborhood is not very active, I have provided several sets of evidence to the authorities to the point that they come to me and ask if I have anything on video to help them. You will never get to that point with consumer grade cams like Reolink et al.

Here are a few posts that document some of the incidents. There are others, including one in July of this year that I have yet to write about.

HomeWPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj, thank you for the very informative replies and helpful links. You've definitely provided some added perspective. It's somewhat encouraging to hear the Reolink ios app is not the worst ios app out there--lol!

I believe I'm clear on how focal length, aperture, lens quality and sensor size/quality plays into the equation. Seeing the 5mp camera beat out the 12mp camera in terms of resolution drove this whole point home.

For now, it appears the Reolinks may fill the bill. Our testing is still in progress. We still have 26 days to change our mind--lol. We only need to monitor simple things around the house---little to no crime in our area, so need for serious bells & whistles for the time being. If things change, we'll certainly be looking at Hikvision, Dahua etc. (and BI) a lot closer.

HomeWPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
With the exception of Reolinks doorbell cam, Reolink should be avoided like the plague.

Avoid using Dome cameras outdoors, the dome will cause all sorts problems.
Thanks for the reply. For those of us that just want to use cat6, poe switch, micro SD's and an ios app, can you recommend a good alternative to Reolink?

As for not using dome cams outdoors, do they leak? Does the clear dome degrade the optics over time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

We have more people coming here posting a problem picture at night thinking there is a problem with their dome camera when in reality it is the IR bounce from some object that the dome is then capturing and magnifying.

HomeWPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
BI is quite simple. I started with consumer grade cams with a cloud experience and an iPhone app. That did not last long. Found this forum and bought Dahua cams and BI. Never looked back.

But I am retired and like to do my own thing. This has become a hobby, some say an obsession, that I like. While my neighborhood is not very active, I have provided several sets of evidence to the authorities to the point that they come to me and ask if I have anything on video to help them. You will never get to that point with consumer grade cams like Reolink et al.

Here are a few posts that document some of the incidents. There are others, including one in July of this year that I have yet to write about.
Totally get it. Through the years I've gone down a few serious rabbit holes.

I just started researching sec cams about 5 days ago, so plenty of time to dig deeper. Bought a 500ft roll of cat6. Been running it throughout the house. Saw your system description---sounds wildly capable to say the least!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! As much as I would like to venture into the Blue Iris world, I decided I'd rather keep things simple with our system. Have plans to install a 6-8 cameras, an 8ch POE switch, an iOS app, and 128/256gb micro cards.

As a start, I purchased two Reolink RLC510a bullets (5mp, 80 deg FOV) and a Reolink RLC1240a dome (12mp, 121 deg FOV) from Amazon a few days ago. I was surprised to find the RLC510a had noticeably better resolution than the RLC1240a (both day and night). With all things being equal, I realize a wider FOV requires more pixels to maintain the same resolution; however, I thought the extra 7mp in the RLC1240a would more than make up for this.

A 2nd issue I noticed with the RLC1240a is the spotlight. Even when used on the dimmest setting, during an alert it causes white flare (or ghosting) on the left and right side of the image (the two spotlight LED's are located on each side of the lens). It's bad enough that it's hard to see anything on the left/right sides.

Giving some thought to exchanging the RLC1240a for another unit if it's defective. If this is the way the RLC1240a normally operates, I may consider using two RLC510a to get the coverage I need for our driveway. I've also given some thought about switching to Hikvision if they have any good 4k cameras with at least 110 deg FOV. Did notice the Hikvision ios app is rated a bit higher than the Reolink. After testing it a few days, the Reolink ios app handle alerts reliably (accurately identifies our cat as pet/animal). However, accessing alerts after the fact is very cumbersome.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
Welcome @HomeWPoe

Do check out the DORI section of the cliff notes.

Effective Pixel Density is key to getting good possible ID images .. key word is effective ..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. For those of us that just want to use cat6, poe switch, micro SD's and an ios app, can you recommend a good alternative to Reolink?

As for not using dome cams outdoors, do they leak? Does the clear dome degrade the optics over time?