Newbee - file location questions

rlw

n3wb
Reaction score
Just purchased and registered after a brief trial. Have 8 remote cams (all Mobotix) and 2 local ones 1 Reolink and one Grandstream all connected and video available. During trials, I had recorded clips from motion detection and performance seemed fine. But I realized all this was going to my SSD C: drive and wanted to move storage to my hard disk or USB hard disk. That isn't working and I get complaints from the Options screen upon saving about directory locations. What is the file location and subdirectory format needed? I had one looking just like there was upon install on C drive, but it is complaining.

Second question: I would like a way to activate an output option on several cameras. They are configured to open doors which works fine from their web page direct or Mobotix software. How to I do this with BI?
Thanks

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The file location should be ?:/Blue Iris/New and so on. Where the "?" is the drive letter you want to use for storage. NAS can present other problems, typically security/login problems.

rlw

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the message I get about folders I don't understand. I do have them under ?\blueiris and they look like the same config as when it was on the C drive after normal install. I used similar paths for new, stored and Alerts. Aux are not created yet. My F drive is an large external USB hard drive, not NAS.

upload_2019-1-15_12-12-51.png

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
F:\HPUser\Documents\blueiris\new will not work. I suspect the path is too long. F:\Blue Iris\new will work. As an aside, eliminate the clip age selection and stick with a size limitation. Leave about 10% of the available free space on the drive as empty, don't allocate every last byte available. BI needs a little "headroom" as file sizes vary and change.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stop changing the standard Folder location. Juch change the drives.
The database is
?:\blueiris\db
?:\blueiris\alerts
?:\blueiris\stored
?:\blueiris\Alerts
?:\blueiris\log

The DB folder and the LOG folder go on the fastest drive
The ? can be different drives. for different folders.
there is no space between the back slash and blueiris

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not think windows is case sensitive. Have you created the folders in windows. Reboot the PC.

Provided screen shots of the clips and archive .
What are the complete folder names of all thefolders?

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found that creating the folder structure first, in windows. Then complete the setup in BI, gave no errors at all.

I have my folders setup as @SouthernYankee has suggested.