Newbee looking for a LPR/8 camera system

afrmthabay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok sounds good

afrmthabay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
when buying cameras for example on aliexpress some say english firmware in the description and some don't should I make sure I buy a certain one that says english firmware and I notice some will say upgradeable and some not upgradeable firmware while I plan on not upgrading anything if it works and I can avoid it- any advice on this

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
English upgradable is preferred. You might end up with a Chinese cam if you have to do a hard reset on a non-upgradable one.

afrmthabay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi when I go to buy the NVR it asks me if I want H.264 for the compression and format should I select that ? Also, does the NVR come with the hard drive for saving video or do I buy that separate. I was reading that I need to buy the purple WD but I was not sure where I should buy that thanks

Original ENGLISH firmware Dahua made NVR 4 SATA Interfaces 200Mps NVR4408/4416/4432 Support Multi brand network cameras-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
It will not come with HD's.

Do a google search and pick up 4 or 6tb purple drives from anyone who has them on sale.

afrmthabay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you all suggest I select the H.264 compression format I could either select it or not select it but its making me choose ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to choose that button before it will let you proceed to checkout.

If you have read the specs of the NVR carefully, and are happy with them, clicking that button doesn't change anything.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know how essential the lpr feature is, but it exists ams with a special optical LPR filters. With mobotix.com you will find them, but not with your budget ...
MOBOTIX AG - The HiRes Video Company / IP Video Cameras
Sure... If you have money to piss into the wind. You can accomplish this for sub $300 easily. I referenced the link to LPR conversations in the very first response to the OP, hell you can purchase a $150 Huisun camera (even though I wouldn't) and accompish this - their are several examples. But as per normal, no one wants to read the thread and see logical answers have already been provided.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@zero-degrees , concentrate a bit of your words before you write them too... I have read the hole thread i have give a link to a good working hardware based solution, which works under all circumstances. It´s an professional solution, of course not for a gift price. A customer should also know, what exists from other solutions and then he can decide, what he wants to pay for it. It´s not your decision.
Have you really read your link totally? Is there anywhere a hint for the mobotix solution? I haven´t seen it, so i think my information is useful too.

A forum lives from the knowledge of many users and not only from yours ;).

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Topic starter seems to have front garden up to the road/pathway next to road, he could copy the bird house solution nayr did as well

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@zero-degrees , concentrate a bit of your words before you write them too... I have read the hole thread i have give a link to a good working hardware based solution, which works under all circumstances. It´s an professional solution, of course not for a gift price. A customer should also know, what exists from other solutions and then he can decide, what he wants to pay for it. It´s not your decision.
Have you really read your link totally? Is there anywhere a hint for the mobotix solution? I haven´t seen it, so i think my information is useful too.

A forum lives from the knowledge of many users and not only from yours ;).
The OP was for 8 cameras total (6 standard cams, 1 PTZ, 1 LPR) plus the hardware for recording (NVR or PC for BI/VMS) for a budget of $2,000.

You posted a link for a $1,000 - $1,400 single camera (once configured to what is prob. needed with accessories it pushes to $1,600). This leaves the OP $600-$1,000 for 6 cameras, 1 PTZ, and main controller... (figuring the unconfigured daytime version pricing)

I'll use your logic of "informing people of options". If I go to a car dealer and say my budget is $30,000 and I want a truck, so the car salesman shows me a $50,000 truck then says "I just want you to know what's available". How does that help the guy with a $30,000 budget?

I wasn't trying to be an ass but now I am ;) - You're right "It's not my decision" but the OP already made that decision and his/her budget was stated to be $2,000. Also NO your Mobotix solution is not referenced in the other thread, however SEVERAL options that fit this OP's budget are (Which is why I referenced it).

So if you would like to purchase one of these - try it out - then post about it in the LPR thread by all means go ahead. However, simply doing a google search for LPR hardware then posting it in this thread doesn't do anyone any good. All you did was search google - you have no real life experience with this hardware, so a blind endorsement or recomendation doesn't do any forum any good.

Finally - You're right - a forum lives with the knowledge of many users, but it only lives a healthy and helpful life when those users information is accurate and on point. ;)

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@zero-degrees,
i know what i write, and i have the knowledge of mobotix. I mounted several system of them. And i am able to build up a LPR System. And i also agree to the opinion of nayonowe (nayr), that the topic starter better should hold on for a lpr cam in this budget and fov range. Better to buy first a system without it.
Many so called electricians means, that they are able to build up ipcam solutions, what doesn´t do, what the customer expected. And although it´s not the question, but is it legal to do this outside your own property? In many countrys surely not.

And it makes a big difference, if the lpr should be readable by driving or only for parking cars. In my country the lpr has extremly high reflection of ir light, so its really a difficult thing by night.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
i have the knowledge of mobotix. I mounted several system of them. And i am able to build up a LPR System.
Wonderful! So you can start a new thread with images, install pics, software/backend results?!?! Since you install these and have experience you can post real world examples for us to all learn from. As you stated this is why a forum is so great - because people provide first hand knowledge of these.

Please start posting your first hand experience with all the above so we can see what it has to offer.

And i am able to build up a LPR System.
I would have expected you to have a lot more input since you have such experience with LPR systems. Possibly you could provide a little more insight then a simple website link...

I'm tired of BS and hijacked threads (which is sadly what I've done here battling with you), but I'm going to call BS! :D

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you can pn me for further discussion. I agree, that this is going too much off topic here. It doesn´t help any more.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
you can pn me for further discussion. I agree, that this is going too much off topic here. It doesn´t help any more.
Oh I don't have anything to discuss with you privately.,, I've called BS openly, and asked for you to post all your first hand experience, installs, etc with the camera you referenced or LPR in general that you claim to have so much experience with yet could only link to a website selling a camera.... If you are that knowledgeable you should be sharing all this knowledge with the forum... after all as you pointed out once multiple people's knowledge is what makes the forum so wonderful.

If you want me to put it all out there I will. I'm stating you interjected yourself in a conversation you know nothing about and simply reference the website found on Google. Furthermore I'm stating if you actually have any experience with this exact hardware it is as a simple installer with little to no understanding of the technology other than how to mount said hardware in the field. If any of this was false you would've gone into more detail and actually referenced helpful material to the OP. So that's all I have!

wayneh

n3wb
Reaction score
So one thing I learned is that having my LPR camera about 12 feet high it does not get blinded by oncoming traffic at night. When I had it about 8 foot off the ground most high beams blinded it.

Wayne

upload_2016-12-12_17-36-33.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mine's 4ft off the ground and it does not get blinded by headlamps; depends on what shutter speed your running at

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
So one thing I learned is that having my LPR camera about 12 feet high it does not get blinded by oncoming traffic at night. When I had it about 8 foot off the ground most high beams blinded it.
Nice capture
What camera/lens/distance is this? Typical speed of vehicles this is capturing?