Newbee question

Reaction score
Ihave an analog system that is being replaced by a NVR POE system. I just don't like the interface, although functional, in front of the NVR but especially thru my browser.

What I am asking, is there an overall block diagram of how the BI interfaces with poe cameras. System is operational, so already have cables run etc. Tx

Reaction score
The configuration I have (this one is semi-idiot proof, but requires BI machine with two network cards):

WAN---(firewall)----LAN1---------BI PC-------LAN2-----POE Switch-------(several IP cameras)

[notice BI effectively sits where your NVR is today, and the blue bits are basically what the NVR does for you today, which means you'll need some more hardware and wiring].

If you are replacing with an NVR POE system (recently) you might want to return it until you read the cliff notes and do some forum browsing, as those tend to be over priced relative to performance, and if you are unhappy with the NVR then you are already looking to toss a major component.

Reaction score
Returning the system would be a major PITA. It came with cables, cameras, NVR etc. Not about to pull cables back out of a hot attic cameras range 15-25 ft off of the ground (16 ea 4K) :-( Thanks for the Cliff notes, that is probably what I need to get an understanding. Tx again Pat

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can also likely stream all cams directly from the NVR to the Blue Iris PC using RTSP; just add the PC with a static IP in the same subnet as the NVR is currently sitting.

Example: NVR has static IP on your LAN of 192.168.1.20; make BI server PC static IP of 192.168.1.21, set up X number of cams in BI, first cam will be configured as 192.168.1.20, but Camera #1, then another cam as Camera #2, etc.

Choose applicable brand /model of NVR, stream, etc. as below:

NVR_RTSP.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MORE: 16 each 4K cams will require some PC horsepower, be sure to read "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris"

If you don't have BI, you can try the free demo version to see if you like the interface, it'll stream your NVR, etc. Be advised it won't perform as well as a fully licensed version, as it won't do direct-to-disk recording. If you decide to buy, please buy directly from the developer at Blue Iris Software.

Last edited: