Newbie advise for Dahua system

Bob Lazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had enough and have concerns for my elderly parents after a few separate incidents recently;
1) Broken gate on side of house
2) Tapping at the front window at 3am
3) Came home to find drone (DJI Mavic pro) flying above house then shortly after, brazenly in back yard fence line within property at shoulder height. (I should have taken photos of this!)
No way to tell if it was just a bunch of kids messing about or not.

Decided on Dahua system
Already have UPS + NAS
NVR4108-8P-4KS2 (eight ports for expansion and no fan noise)
4TB WD Purple HDD WD40PURZ
3 to 4 cameras - 3 front (2 at corners and one near entrance) + 1 rear (for possible drone incursions!)
Prefer varifocal for convenience and flexibility in setup (for noob).
Prefer Starlight 2MP Dome type but narrowed down to this short list;
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HDBW4231E-AS

Have gone through the Cliff Notes and done quite a bit of pricing research on eBay (mostly non-upgradable rubbish).
Looks like AliExpress is the way to go. Although I have concerns with cost of returns for warranty/faults.

This is immensely time consuming as I keep going around and around the Net with model numbers that don't exist on Dahua site.
Could anyone suggest anything or at least tell me I am going in the right direction?
Thanks!!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are going in the right direction.
Buying from @EMPIRETECANDY on aliexpress, you are saving enough money to come out on top even if you do have a warranty issue.
BUT, warranty issue's are extremely rare. Andy has said that his return rate is a very small percentage of the cams he sells.
And of those that do get returned, it is determined it was user error with a lot of them, and nothing wrong with the cams.
His store is here: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Or you can email him directly. kingsecurity2014@163.com

On the Dahua site, make sure you are looking at the International site, if you can't find a cams exact model there, avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Lazar

n3wb
Reaction score
You are going in the right direction.
Buying from @EMPIRETECANDY on aliexpress, you are saving enough money to come out on top even if you do have a warranty issue.
BUT, warranty issue's are extremely rare. Andy has said that his return rate is a very small percentage of the cams he sells.
And of those that do get returned, it is determined it was user error with a lot of them, and nothing wrong with the cams.
His store is here: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Or you can email him directly. kingsecurity2014@163.com

On the Dahua site, make sure you are looking at the International site, if you can't find a cams exact model there, avoid it.
Thanks for your input looney2ns.:wave:

I assume this is the international site;
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/

I have found some model numbers only at French or Polish(?) sites via Google so I assume stay away from those?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the website click on Global and then International.
Look under discontinued products EOL
End Of Life