Newbie all-Hikvision set-up

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new on here but have been trying to do a bit of homework before posting.

I'd like to have a 3 camera all-Hikvision with NVR set-up, and I'm a bit ham-strung with wiring, and would like to make use of powerline home plugs for ethernet within the house where possible.

So this is what I'd like to do... would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

I'm thinking of an EXIR 2232 bullet camera mounted on one corner of the house to cover the full width of the property at the front: principally pointing across the driveway and across the small front lawn (total 50ft). A second EXIR 2232 bullet camera would be mounted on another corner of the house, and point across the full width of the property at the rear: covering all ground floor windows and doors, (a single door at the far end, and double doors in the middle) plus some of the garden (again, total width of the house is 50ft). A 3rd camera (EXIR 2332 turret) would be mounted inside the storm porch at the front of the house - pointing directly at the front door (7ft away).

These are the cameras.

2 x 2CD2232-i5 (4mm) EXIR 3MP bullet cameras: Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision IP camera DS 2CD2232 I5 (4,6,12mm optional) 3MP HD 1080P Network camera Infrared CCTV camera POE IP66 from Reliable camera poe suppliers on CSST wholesale market | Alibaba Group

1 x 2CD2332-i (2.6mm) EXIR 3MP turret: Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision camera, DS 2CD2332 I, Network IP camera, 3MP dome Camera w/POE & 3D DNR, Full HD1080p real time,IP66, HD IP camera from Reliable camera handbag suppliers on CSST wholesale market

I would then like to wire all of the cameras using PoE, into a PoE (unmanaged) switch: TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 8-Port 10/100M Desktop Switch Including 4-port PoE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The PoE switch would be located in my garage, to allow me to run ethernet cables out to the cameras from there.

The PoE switch would then be connected up to my router (in the lounge) using a 500 Mbps powerline homeplug (real world 150-200 Mbps in each direction).

The router will then be connected to a Hikvision NVR up in the study, using a Gigabit powerline homeplug (real world 250-300Mbs in each direction).

This is the NVR I am thinking about (7808N-E2): Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision IP camera DS 2CD2232 I5 (4,6,12mm optional) 3MP HD 1080P Network camera Infrared CCTV camera POE IP66 from Reliable camera poe suppliers on CSST wholesale market | Alibaba Group

I was also thinking of this NVR (7604NI-E2): Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision NVR DS 7604NI E2 4ch Independent Embedded NVR International English Version HD 1080P DVR 1SATA from Reliable dvr usb suppliers on Shenzhen Uin technology Ltd | Alibaba Group

I like the higher 50 Mbps bandwidth of the 7808 over the 25Mbps of the 7604, but is the 7808 an old model or something? They seem too close in price to both be current models.

I intend to capture footage in max resolution of 3MP.

I would supplement the NVR with WD purple drive(s).

Do you think this set-up would be ok?

Would the fact that I'm using Hikvision cameras and NVR make it pretty much "plug-and-play"? I don't really want to do too much messing around.

I'd like to be able to view live footage (and ideally historic recordings) remotely on my ipad - is that possible using the Hikvision app?

Finally, do the camera lens sizes look reasonable?

All thoughts, help, and advice gratefully received...

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think those are good camera and lens choices to start with. If you can record audio legally in your area then I might suggest a 2532 with microphone instead of the 2332 for inside your porch. The 2532 is a bit smaller and has weaker infrared but that is probably a good tradeoff given the short distances involved for that camera.

I am not really familiar with the NVRs and Hikvision software, but looking at Hikvision's site I see nothing about a 7800 series but I see there is a 7600 series so I suspect your guess about the 7808 being an older model may be correct. I don't know anything really about their capabilities or differences so maybe someone else can help with that.

Also note that if you get a 4 channel NVR and later decide to expand to more than 4 cameras you will need a whole new NVR. If that is a possibility for the near future then it may be worth buying a good 8 channel NVR now. Just read this thread here and you may see the value of having several cameras with different lenses focused on important property such as parked cars: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/camera-captures/2582-little-victory.html

Regarding the powerline networking gear, you should be aware that their performance varies wildly depending on where you plug them in and may vary throughout the day as other electric appliances are turned on and off. My Zyxel "500 Mbps" kit only delivered 40 Mbps as reported by the manufacturer's software. Luckily I only connect one camera through them so the poor speed is not really a problem. If I needed to run 3 cams and the NVR on it, though, I would want better speed. So I hope yours works better than mine!

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 you mentioned there is a law against recording audio in some states? Even on your own property?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In the USA there is at least, can't speak for other countries. It varies by state and doesn't matter if it is your property or not :/

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for info - the 78xx NVR series are new models with 6MP encoding capability mainly aimed at the Chinese market. The 7816N-E2/8P I bought was for the Australian market, so English firmware.
They are only shown on the Hikvision China website, but are widely available on Aliexpress at good prices.

????-???????&???????

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice.

I have gone ahead and ordered the following:

NVR (7816N-E2, no PoE):
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Hikvision NVR 16CH Network Video Recorder HDMI NVR Up to 6MP / 5MP / 3MP 1000M Engineering project equipment SATA*2 4TB

2 x 2CD2332-I5 EXIR bullet 4mm cameras:
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Free shipping Hikvision 3MP DS-2CD2232-I5 with bracket IP camera HD network DS-1212ZJ camera CCTV camera support POE IP66

1 x 2CD2132F-IS dome 2.8mm camera with microSD recording:
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Hikvision new DS-2CD2132F-IS replace DS-2CD2132-I 3MP Network Mini Dome Camera cctv camera 30M IR Digital HD waterproof w/POE

I figured the NVR with 100 Mbps would leave plenty of headroom for adding further cameras, and at that price is a bit of a steal, especially with 2 x drive bays.

I wasn't sure about getting the new dome, but hopefully there will be some useful functionality available to make use of the SD card recording. Nice option to add a simple mic anyway, as it will be near my front door.

Now I just have to wait a month for the slow boat from China.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
My 7816 NVR turned up today. English shell (a little scratched), UK plug, Chinese instructions. Have just ordered a 3TB WD purple drive, so should be able to have the grand turn-on next week, and report back.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.... waiting for your experiences. Is the firmware in English? you probably ain't gonna upgrade it, otherwise it'll be in Chinese only.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
I asked them for English software when I ordered, and also checked they could do it before ordering. Will find out for sure if it has been done next week when the hard drive turns up.

Yeah, I'll never upgrade the firmware on the NVR or the cameras.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, it's been over a year since I last posted (and since all of my gear turned up).

But last night I set everything up indoors to make sure that everything was working ok, and it is: NVR booted up in English, and I initialised the 3TB hard drive.

I connected the 3 cameras to a PoE switch located upstairs, which was connected to a powerline plug.

The NVR (connected by HDMI to the TV, and a powerline plug downstairs) found the cameras ok, and I found the software pretty intuitive to use.

The recording in pitch black was very impressive.

So this weekend I need to get the cameras hooked up properly outside, which will mean christening the SDS drill.

The NVR will need to go into the study, as it's too noisy with the fan running constantly to have in the lounge.

The one thing that is worrying me is that whilst it was all running, my broadband download speed drops from 20Mbps to 3Mbps, using a broadband speed app on my phone.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing that is worrying me is that whilst it was all running, my broadband download speed drops from 20Mbps to 3Mbps, using a broadband speed app on my phone.
I had this symptom, though not so extreme, ages ago when I had camera traffic going across the router switch ports.
Despite the bitrate being around 20-30% of the nominal switch port capacity, it turned out that the ISP-supplied router was not able to do its routing task effectively whilst also handling the switch traffic.
Replacing the router with a more capable model was an effective solution.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this symptom, though not so extreme, ages ago when I had camera traffic going across the router switch ports.
Despite the bitrate being around 20-30% of the nominal switch port capacity, it turned out that the ISP-supplied router was not able to do its routing task effectively whilst also handling the switch traffic.
Replacing the router with a more capable model was an effective solution.
Thanks for this. I've got a spare router that I can bring out of recent retirement: a Billion 7800N. I'll see if I can tether that to the ISP-supplied one for routing.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
'll see if I can tether that to the ISP-supplied one for routing.
Presumably if you just use the switch ports of the spare router for the traffic, the problem will go away if it's traffic-related.
Or not if it's some other weirdness.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Presumably if you just use the switch ports of the spare router for the traffic, the problem will go away if it's traffic-related.
Or not if it's some other weirdness.
That's what I'm hoping! ISP machine to be used only as a modem (plugged only into adsl master socket and into the billion router), then have the billion connected up to the powerline and to act as router to do all the switching, routing and wifi for everything else.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way of protecting the cable coming out the back of the camera in the bullet cameras?

I have the cheap (free) bracket, like the one in this picture.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way of protecting the cable coming out the back of the camera in the bullet cameras?
Pop the top rubber grommet out, cut a slit from the outer edge to the centre, cut a small circular hole in the centre a little smaller than the cable.
Insert the cable in the hole in the grommet, feed the cable down the hole where the grommet was and out of the back of the bracket.
Re-insert the grommet, maybe put some sealant round where the cable enters.
Connect the cable to the RJ45 male coming out of the wall, seal with self-amalgamating tape. (Known as coax seal to our US friends).
Feed the cable through the wall / soffit etc and bolt the bracket to the wall.
Have a coffee / tea / beer etc.

JakeBlade

n3wb
Reaction score
Just coming back to the switch idea, would this work?

Red outline shows location of the cameras and the recording box.