Newbie here - Recommendations for good PTZ camera

TexxanST

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all - I recently purchased a new home which came with 3 pre-wired PoE locations. I started reading the available documentation but couldn't understand much as I dont have much technical background :(

To get started , could you please recommend good PTZ cameras with night vision for my home ? P.S : I don't want to invest on a server right now for BlueIris setup.

Appreciate some inputs...

Reaction score
Where does it store the recording ? also , are there any economical options ?
IP cams are expecting some kind of storage/control unit. Either an NVR of a PC running the proper software. Most good cams have a slot to insert a micro SD card for recordings. But this is meant for a backup in case your NVR goes down. It is not for primary storage. Writing 24/7 to that card will burn it out rather quickly.

As far as "good PTZ cameras with night vision" and "economical options"...you can have one or the other.

It would be prudent to understand the IP cam system more before jumping into a PTZ cam. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI.

And check out this tread:

TexxanST

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. Could you please share some recommendations for a good DVR that works with the options @BlueWave mentioned

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your looking for just a basic NVR expect to pay around $250. If your looking for something with some advanced AI to filter false alerts..etc expect to pay up to $1200 (not including HD).

Really depends on your budget and goals. Of course with a lower budget there will be sacrifices. Generally with security cameras you want the most your budget can afford.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two great PTZ cameras to consider, both with auto-tracking....
SD49225XA-HNR (Under $400)
SD5A425XA-HNR (Under $700)
@TexxanST Although BlueWave suggested 2 great Dahua PTZ cameras, they are quite big (and as such, not very discrete). i.e. Neighbors will be able to see those big PTZs from a distance. There are smaller Dahua Starlight PTZ if you want something that doesn't stick out as much (but typically with less Zoom). Look at the reviews on this site.

In addition to PTZ, you should buy some fixed or varifocal Dahua Starlights. They are both cheaper and smaller than the 2 PTZs above. And stick with Starlight (or equivalent) for best night time performance. Night time can be a challenge depending on how ambient light you have.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out Hikvisions offerings.
Dahua firmware is lacklustre and buggy. Make the PTZ you choose are not restricted being able to do the tasks you have in mind by firmware issues.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out Hikvisions offerings.
Dahua firmware is lacklustre and buggy. Make the PTZ you choose are not restricted being able to do the tasks you have in mind by firmware issues.
I own both Hikvision and Dahua cameras. In fact, I started with a bunch of Hikvision cameras but night time performance was poor and fuzzy. Over time, I have switched to Dahua Starlights exclusively to get better night time results.

BTW, Dahua camera software, in general, gets the job done. From my personal experience, Hikvision camera software can be just as "buggy" so I don't think people should be afraid of either brand based on the "buggy" statement.

TexxanST

n3wb
Reaction score
@looney2ns As mentioned in my OP , I would like to setup a good surveillance system for my new home . There is still some construction work going on in the neighborhood and I will need night vision capabilities .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest you read the Cliff Notes in the WiKi, in the blue bar, at the top of the page. Most people on IPCT, certainly not all, seem to view a PTZ camera as an additional tool rather than a primary source of surveillance. The problem with a PTZ is that it will most likely be looking in the opposite direction of what you want it to be looking at when something happens. If you're going to sit there and watch/move the PTZ around all day, and night, it can be helpful. Generally, a set of fixed focus cameras located to observe choke points or vulnerable areas work out best in the end.

Reaction score
As mentioned in my OP , I would like to setup a good surveillance system for my new home
That is not a goal. How do you define 'good'? You need to make a plan of what you want for views at specific locations. Just buying three cams and an NVR is not a plan. That is what you do to execute the plan.

I have already given you much info back on post #4 about Cliff Notes, WIKI, and Newbie guide. If you do not take that info, then do not expect someone to do the job for you.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own both Hikvision and Dahua cameras. In fact, I started with a bunch of Hikvision cameras but night time performance was poor and fuzzy. Over time, I have switched to Dahua Starlights exclusively to get better night time results.

BTW, Dahua camera software, in general, gets the job done. From my personal experience, Hikvision camera software can be just as "buggy" so I don't think people should be afraid of either brand based on the "buggy" statement.
I know what you mean as I install both manufactures.
I personally prefer the metal housing and build of Dahua but the camera firmware and NVR software of the Hiks gives a more solid and polished user experience.
Regarding image quality in the past I would of agreed that Dahua had the upper hand but the recent colour vue hiks ive installed have had excellent image quality using out of the box settings.

The OP is looking for a "good" PTZ camera and for that purpose I would definately go Hikvision although more costly. As from my own experience with a SD49225XA-HNR being very cheap but very flakey

The bugs and firmware issues of autotracking removal makes the Dahua a poor choice IMO, I prefer to pay more for a better product.

Im sure the OP will get all the advise needed on these forums to make the correct choice for his/her needs.