Newbie here seeking advice (as all other noobs).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on the earlier suggestions for positioning the cameras, I have a question about the height (again). I know the importance of placing the cameras at 7-8ft high max, but aren't you guys worried about people reaching out and damaging them? Especially with something like a bullet camera, its hard to miss it and being that low it can be easily reached by a 5.5ft+ person. I am just worried about damage to the camera and wall it is mounted on.
Hi @kouma

The camera's job is to get the best chance of a good image ... does no good to protect the cameras and not get a good image.

Thus 2 cameras on the garage aimed in a cross covering pattern

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These cameras are resilient and the locking mechanism of them make them hard to move - wait until you install one and try to move it just a bit to center the frame LOL.

You will not find many instances of people coming here and saying their cameras were moved. My neighbor has had his on his fence that is literally one foot from the public sidewalk for years and not one time were they touched and they are 4 feet high.

The reality of it is that most people do not see the cameras - they are totally oblivious. I have more on my house than I care to admit to and nobody other than those that have cameras themselves have noticed it.

Heck, my one neighbor didn't realize his mailbox was missing LOL - people are consumed with their own life to bother seeing what you are doing!

And most thieves are bold or stupid enough that they do not care about being caught on camera. And if they are close enough to touch them, then you also have a really close up shot of their face!

And if a perp is observant and sees the cameras, they likely move on to another house...

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These cameras are resilient and the locking mechanism of them make them hard to move - wait until you install one and try to move it just a bit to center the frame LOL.

You will not find many instances of people coming here and saying their cameras were moved. My neighbor has had his on his fence that is literally one foot from the public sidewalk for years and not one time were they touched and they are 4 feet high.

The reality of it is that most people do not see the cameras - they are totally oblivious. I have more on my house than I care to admit to and nobody other than those that have cameras themselves have noticed it.

Heck, my one neighbor didn't realize his mailbox was missing LOL - people are consumed with their own life to bother seeing what you are doing!

And most thieves are bold or stupid enough that they do not care about being caught on camera. And if they are close enough to touch them, then you also have a really close up shot of their face!

And if a perp is observant and sees the cameras, they likely move on to another house...
Didn't your neighbor wonder why he hasn't received mail for sometime haha. You make great points and I feel better now about mounting them at the recommended height. Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's another reason that turret cameras are the preferred form factor, harder to damage. People rarely notice cameras today because they seem to be every where. A turret, being rounded, makes it hard to grab or even hit effectively. With all the people on this forum there are zero reports of cameras being damaged, even when bad guys see them and they are in reach.

Last edited:

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @kouma

The camera's job is to get the best chance of a good image ... does no good to protect the cameras and not get a good image.

Thus 2 cameras on the garage aimed in a cross covering pattern
Yes that is correct, the overlap covering will help protect the cameras themselves as well. In the attached picture that you marked for me (thanks again for that), you marked the cameras under the light fixtures of the garage. Was that on purpose, wouldn't the light interfere with the image? I thought maybe the cameras should be above the lights, but what do I know :D Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's another reason that turret cameras are the referred form factor, harder to damage. People rarely notice cameras today because they seem to be every where. A turret, being rounded, makes it hard to grab or even hit effectively. With all the people on this forum there are zero reports of cameras being damaged, even when bad guys see them and they are in reach.
That's good to hear. Knowing how much some of these cameras are, it good that thieves leave them untouched. I might look at the turrets for my backyard because the cameras will be installed under the high-deck. I got two cameras down, 6 to go :D

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is correct, the overlap covering will help protect the cameras themselves as well. In the attached picture that you marked for me (thanks again for that), you marked the cameras under the light fixtures of the garage. Was that on purpose, wouldn't the light interfere with the image? I thought maybe the cameras should be above the lights, but what do I know :D Let me know your thoughts
Hi Kouma,

You'll need to play a little with the positioning .. test above, below,... ideally want the lights not to blind the cameras at night...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't your neighbor wonder why he hasn't received mail for sometime haha. You make great points and I feel better now about mounting them at the recommended height. Thanks!
He is one that only goes out once a week to get his mail because he said "all it is is junk mail anyways..."

The cameras need to be below the lights because if they are above the lights, then you have the camera pointed directly over the lights to the spot you are trying to cover and then you get light blinding effects and washing out of the image and then you need to introduce backlight settings in the camera and then that compromises the video quality you are trying to obtain.

Now if you wanted to point the cameras to the sky, they yes install them above the lights LOL.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's good to hear. Knowing how much some of these cameras are, it good that thieves leave them untouched. I might look at the turrets for my backyard because the cameras will be installed under the high-deck. I got two cameras down, 6 to go :D
This is why you ALWAYS use a temporary portable test rig to test proposed locations first, for a minimum of 24hrs, preferably longer. So you don't have any surprises after you permanently mount.
What looks good on paper, doesn't always play out in reality.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why you ALWAYS use a temporary portable test rig to test proposed locations first, for a minimum of 24hrs, preferably longer. So you don't have any surprises after you permanently mount.
What looks good on paper, doesn't always play out in reality.
Shouldn’t the varifocal lenses offer some flexibility even if the camera wasn’t in the ideal position?

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am back :D I finally got all my equipment and I am ready to go.

List of equipment:
4x IPC-B5442E-ZE
4x junction boxes
1x c3750X PoE+ switch
1000ft CAT6 cable
BlueIris IVR

Now that I have decided on my installation spots, I have the following installation questions:

1- What are the cons of running cable externally between camera and IVR, and do you recommend it? To make my installation easy (cheaper), I can run cables externally and route them through exiting holes in my house (i.e. coax cable drilled holes from service provider). Is it worth it?

2- I hate Stucco wall and I am confused on how to mount cameras on it. I did watch youtube videos but I still don't get. Its supposed to be a layer of mesh followed by cement-like material. However, this doesn't seem to me to be strong enough to hold the camera or take on 4 screws. The cement-like material is barely 1/2". Do I really need to find the studs behind the Stucco and make sure my cameras are mount on them? Would a stud finder even work with Stucco. I really do not want to regret making holes and ruin my house :(

These are all the questions I have so far!

Thanks in advance!!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of neatness running the cables in the walls is the way to go. Leaving it surface mounted invites having it get hit, crushed, kinked or otherwise mangled. It also leave it exposed to UV and even UV rated cable degrades over time. Then there's the aesthetics of exposed wire.

Behind the mesh there should be a layer of sheathing. Wood or sheet metal screws long enough to grab that will hold turrets or bullets with no problem. A PTZ would be safer mounted to a stud, but even then mounting to the sheathing using the proper sized screws would probably be fine.

Stucco can be easily repaired and there is a patch material available at Lowes or Home Depot for doing just that. It may need to be painted/tinted to match but that would be the hard part.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In terms of neatness running the cables in the walls is the way to go. Leaving it surface mounted invites having it get hit, crushed, kinked or otherwise mangled. It also leave it exposed to UV and even UV rated cable degrades over time. Then there's the aesthetics of exposed wire.

Behind the mesh there should be a layer of sheathing. Wood or sheet metal screws long enough to grab that will hold turrets or bullets with no problem. A PTZ would be safer mounted to a stud, but even then mounting to the sheathing using the proper sized screws would probably be fine.

Stucco can be easily repaired and there is a patch material available at Lowes or Home Depot for doing just that. It may need to be painted/tinted to match but that would be the hard part.
Thank you sebastiantombs for the help, you were right behind the Stucco was sheathing layer of 1/2" plywood, it was easy to mount the cameras I just needed a long screw like you said (I used 4").

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: I have successfully installed two IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras :D Please let me know your feedback on the image quality and position (I can move the cameras using the provided torx key). These are varifocal cameras, do you adjust the focal lenses from the web interface (under Settings > Zoom and Focus)?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Installations look great!

If it were me I'd tilt "D" down so that the top of the frame is at the top of the roofline of the house in the distance. This will get the sky basically out of the picture and provide better evening/night video by eliminating a big bright spot.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: I have successfully installed two IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras :D Please let me know your feedback on the image quality and position (I can move the cameras using the provided torx key). These are varifocal cameras, do you adjust the focal lenses from the web interface (under Settings > Zoom and Focus)?
I'm not sure what angle or view you're going after but the (C) camera should be able to see a person at the door unless your current door bell cam covers that immediate area?!?

This of course would cover any parcels placed at the door.

The (D) camera should be pointed more outward unless you confirmed there is no IR glare coming off the wall and the down spout. Night time review is a must as it's going to help you confirm what can be seen for static vs moving objects.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what angle or view you're going after but the (C) camera should be able to see a person at the door unless your current door bell cam covers that immediate area?!?

This of course would cover any parcels placed at the door.

The (D) camera should be pointed more outward unless you confirmed there is no IR glare coming off the wall and the down spout. Night time review is a must as it's going to help you confirm what can be seen for static vs moving objects.
For IPC-D, by outward do you mean further down where the camera is pointing? or further out toward the driveway?

For IPC-C, the doorbell covers that immediate space in front of the main door and any packages. This camera covers anyone attempting to go up the stairs and anyone walking toward the left side of the house.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installations look great!

If it were me I'd tilt "D" down so that the top of the frame is at the top of the roofline of the house in the distance. This will get the sky basically out of the picture and provide better evening/night video by eliminating a big bright spot.
I will bring IPC-D lower as suggested :) thanks!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
For IPC-D, by outward do you mean further down where the camera is pointing? or further out toward the driveway?

For IPC-C, the doorbell covers that immediate space in front of the main door and any packages. This camera covers anyone attempting to go up the stairs and anyone walking toward the left side of the house.
Before you do anything view the camera at night as this will affirm if the camera needs to be moved Outward facing your neighbors wall. If you see no hot spot or glare from the IR leave it in place. I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't some reflection coming off the down spout and the mounting wall.