Newbie looking for a system had a breakin

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
As least expensive as possible. .Tell me what you think? IM ALL EARS !!

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
I heard the Swann Mobile App software sucks? Any other suggestions? Do you not think a piece - together - system is best?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I heard the Swann Mobile App software sucks? Any other suggestions? Do you not think a piece - together - system is best?
"Best" is subjective, and subject to personal budget, personal IT capability and personal requirements...so I really can't tell you what is best. But I can tell you that for $1,000.00 you can put together a superb 4 to 5 camera Blue Iris system with outstanding remote mobile device viewing functionality.

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I have THE PC ready to go and a network structure to support so I would rather Bang for my Buck get the right cameras and location to install them :). Like Dome or Bullet and why to install what type where etc...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with an i7-4790 (or greater) processor and you'll have plenty of headroom for future expansion. Decent Hikvision, Dahua, Huisun or Longse branded HD 2MP, 3MP, 4MP or 5MP cameras (MP depends on the camera model) will cost you as little $100.00 to $150.00 each. Blue Iris will cost approximately $70.00. The Blue Iris mobile device app another $10.00. $150.00 for a 1,000 foot spool of cable. $100.00 for an 8-port poe switch. Another $50.00 for crimping tools and supplies. This is the approximate cost of an (imo) outstanding 8 camera HD system.

I see you keep asking about lens sizes and field of view; I'd hold off on that stuff until you have your budget sorted out bro.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think based on the pictures and satellite view 8 is enough? Cameras that is
That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For example, put eight (8) 2.8mm or 4mm cameras under your 2nd story roof eaves and you'll probably get great coverage of your entire property which will allow you to see everything which is happening outside...BUT those same cameras will never provide evidentiary facial recognition video. In other words, you will see everything that happens outside but you won't be able to identify the actors in the video you record. However, add another 8 cameras at 8mm at a 7-foot height at strategic "choke points" (where the actors must pass to access the interior of the house) and then you'll not only get great "overview footage" (from the 8-2.8 or 4mm "eave cameras") but also great facial recognition video (from the 8-8mm "choke point cameras"). This is just a simple example from a simple mind Matt. I'm not a camera expert...I only play one in this topic...however, once you get your budget in order there are plenty of guys here who'll tell you how many millimeter lens and what type of camera will be needed to see up fido's anus at 100 feet in the dead of night. Until then, decide exactly how much you want to spend; that is where your journey will begin grasshoppa.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After looking at your map pictures, I think 8 would suffice just fine. How many are going inside, though? That would give us a better gauge with how many outdoor cameras (and placement) you were thinking.

1,000 foot of cat5e is 72 bucks on MonoPrice, and it's solid copper, which you want for POE applications. 1,000 foot of cat6 (if you're crazy like me) is 110-ish on MonoPrice. Just picked up a box 3 weeks ago and wired my house with it...

In terms of an 8 port POE switch, I just picked up one of these for my in-laws and it seems pretty snazzy. Gigabit too (overkill, but YOLO). The only thing worth mentioning is it has an external power adapter (like a laptop), and it's quite large -- as big, if not a bit bigger than the switch itself. It's wicked silent, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156420&cm_re=trendnet_8_port_gigabit_poe-_-33-156-420-_-Product

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 Arlo Cameras for the interior right now. Wireless and slick.

Worried about the exterior overall view and recognition thats why it matters

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 4 Arlo Cameras for the interior right now. Wireless and slick.

Worried about the exterior overall view and recognition thats why it matters
Hey @TheWAFA looks like you've gotten some solid advice already here. Here is a little more guidance if you want to take a look at some examples for stand alone systems vs. blue iris. Also - you can cut your above quote in half going this route for the exact same hardware contacting a source from the forum. Also keep in mind everyone has options on quality and best "options" so just do your research and look at actual examples vs. relying 100% on what people say. What some consider "amazing" might look like crap to you or what one user says is "garbage" might be satisfactory to you and your needs. Here are some threads I've posted actual images and examples to just to give you some "real world examples". Good luck man!

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example?highlight=LTS

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7883-Advice-on-Camera-Positioning-and-Lenses-Thanks?p=70060#post70060

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8195-Closet-computer-setup?p=72982#post72982

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
Zero-Degrees I appreciate it. What source were you referring too? Very interested in assistance and want to get moving on this ASAP. : ) I don't mind a NVR if needed instead of a Blue Iris or Blue Cherry?

TheWAFA

n3wb
Reaction score
Also I am guessing someone can help me with exact camera placement and lens size and dome or bullet camera in what position. I am ready to start ordering pieces and getting my system together. I will take pictures and etc. Please help pics of my house architectural and satellite pics are in this post on previous page