Newbie needing advice

wpsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Closing on my first home next week and ordered a DIY alarm system today, next up is surveillance. I work in IT so when I found out about IP cams running over PoE switches, recording to a NAS, etc ..instead of traditional setups I became a lot more interested. The issue I'm having is the more I read the more options I find, and I need input on which is "best" for me.

1. 4 IP cams running to a PoE switch in the attic(I live in CO, hopefully won't have issues with heat), fish a single cable down from the switch to a router. Connect NVR to router. Connect NVR directly to TV in living room via HDMI. Also want to watch cams from bedroom, was thinking a wireless Android box running an app, HDMI from box to TV.

2. Similar to above except no NVR. Instead run Blue Iris on a dedicated laptop, HDMI from laptop to TV, point to NAS. I read about recording only when motion is detected, seems like a great idea to save HDD space. Sounds great on paper, need to research how well it actually works. I'll live in a remote area so there should be very little motion aside from animals.

No sure what else is out there, definitely open to other ideas. Would also appreciate recommendations on brands and such, would like to keep the setup under $1k if possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@wpsfan Welcome to the forum. Go with 4 hikvision 2mp/4mp turret cameras and blue iris. What are the specs on your laptop? The downside to a laptop is that they cannot be configured to resume power on after a power outage. You can buy a dell optiplex i5-4590 at the dell outlet or hp elitedesk 800 i5-4590 for about 300 on ebay with warranty.
As far are tv viewing, you can use hdmi over ethernet adapters or and android stick.

wpsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @fenderman ..my laptop is just a cheapo that meets the minimum requiremens for BI. I'll definitely look into the Dell's or see if I can build my own for similar $$.

With that setup do you see any issue with saving recordings directly to the PC running Blue Iris or do you recommend a NAS? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @fenderman ..my laptop is just a cheapo that meets the minimum requiremens for BI. I'll definitely look into the Dell's or see if I can build my own for similar $$.

With that setup do you see any issue with saving recordings directly to the PC running Blue Iris or do you recommend a NAS? Thanks!
You will not be able to run blue iris with 4 2mp/4mp HD cameras on a pc that meets the minimum requirements...
You cannot build your own for 300..the OS itself is 100 (you actually get pro with the business systems which is closer to 200)...the processors is 200. The dells and hp business machines come with a 3 year next business day warranty and are built exceptionally well. Dont waste your time building your own. If you do build, only use intel processors.
I always record to the pc...with blue iris you can simultaneously record to the pc and nas if you wish.

wpsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
You will not be able to run blue iris with 4 2mp/4mp HD cameras on a pc that meets the minimum requirements...
You cannot build your own for 300..the OS itself is 100 (you actually get pro with the business systems which is closer to 200)...the processors is 200. The dells and hp business machines come with a 3 year next business day warranty and are built exceptionally well. Dont waste your time building your own. If you do build, only use intel processors.
I always record to the pc...with blue iris you can simultaneously record to the pc and nas if you wish.
Awesome, thanks. There's no way I'd attempt to run BI on my laptop after seeing the recommended requirements. I was just piecing parts together befor seeing your reply and you're exactly right, no way to even come close to the prices for a refurbed Dell.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. There's no way I'd attempt to run BI on my laptop after seeing the recommended requirements. I was just piecing parts together befor seeing your reply and you're exactly right, no way to even come close to the prices for a refurbed Dell.
Yeah, the systems a practically new, maybe a month old...same with the hp's on ebay...you can confirm warranty status on the ebay machines by asking for the serial and then checking hp's online warranty status page...last system i purchased was a i5-4590 that was put in service a month before I purchased it..paid something like 312 or so...cant beat it...with the dell outlet you need to wait for a sale (they have one about twice monthly) follow the dell outlet twitter to be alerted.
Also note that dell started selling skylake optiplex machines and hp has released skylage elitedesks (G2) so they should be showing up on ebay/outlet soon...

wpsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman ..do you have any recommendations on retailers for the hikvisions? Would prefer U.S. firmware and a U.S. retailer, even if I have to spend a little more. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman ..do you have any recommendations on retailers for the hikvisions? Would prefer U.S. firmware and a U.S. retailer, even if I have to spend a little more. Thanks.
Yes, the prices have come down to the point where unless you live out side the US or looking for a specialty model, you are better off buying US region. See Nellys Security or the thread in the forum by milkisbad.

wpsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick reply, you've helped a ton. I requested a catalog from milk earlier and will check out Nelly's.