Newbie NVR question

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

If I buy a Dahua NVR like the NVR4108, is it designed to be plugged into any switch on my network, regardless of the switch the IP cameras are plugged into? Can it still discover the cameras? (i've assumed it can but am planning)

i.e. My cameras are connected to a PoE Switch in the Garage, the NVR is plugged into a small switch in the lounge, connected to the TV via HDMI

thanks in advance

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you have turned on upnp on each camera, all is on the same network/vlan, it is able to find them.
if not, you have to add them manually with local ip, tcp port and protocol "private"

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you have turned on upnp on each camera, all is on the same network/vlan, it is able to find them.
if not, you have to add them manually with local ip, tcp port and protocol "private"
thank you. I am happy to add them manually . just checking that is a "normal implementation". I like the look of these low power Dahua NVRs as I don't need PoE ports on the NVR IF I can get it in the lounge :thumb:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might want to consider the 4208, as it gives you twice the bandwidth.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
if you have turned on upnp on each camera
That is a risky option, and not recommended. Nor is it required for local discovery.
If UPnP is active on the camera, and also active on the ISP router (as it often is by default), then the camera can automatically configure port forwarding on the router, allowing the entire internet to access the camera.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If UPnP is active on the camera, and also active on the ISP router (as it often is by default), then the camera can automatically configure port forwarding on the router, allowing the entire internet to access the camera.
you are correct.

upnp is not turned on by default and doesnt need to turned on

dahua seems using bonjour service which is enabled by default on camera. so the nvr is able to find it

Last edited:

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is a risky option, and not recommended. Nor is it required for local discovery.
Thanks. I was never going to turn on upnp. Tbh I can't believe in this day and age upnp is even allowed.

I was simply checking that the NVR can be on a different switch to the cameras and then still be "discovered"

@Perimeter thank you for that, I didn't know of that model. I will look it up. Tbh I find the models quite confusing. Unfortunately Andy at empiretec doesn't seem to sell that and I find these are quite hard to get hold of in England.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Perimeter thank you for that, I didn't know of that model. I will look it up. Tbh I find the models quite confusing. Unfortunately Andy at empiretec doesn't seem to sell that and I find these are quite hard to get hold of in England.
I just went to the decision process myself. If you want to browse over the aspects, it was here:

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Perimeter I've just learnt more from your posts you've linked to than weeks of casual reading on here, so thank you. Great job on the warehouse deal ! I am very partial to a warehouse deal myself.

Can I assume you're in the USA seeing as you mention $ ?