Newbie Question: Hikvision Analog DVR & Cameras

Reaction score
I have a Hikvision 8-camera 1080p DVR, but I don't much like the software that comes with it.The cameras are all 1080p analog cameras that connect with coaxial cable to the DVR. The DVR itself can connect by ethernet to a switch or router, and theoretically the DVR can then be accessed via a web browser, but that way of accessing it isn't supported very well. Instead, there is dedicated software that runs on Windows and connects by IP address to the DVR. Additionally, the DVR can be accessed by a smartphone app (HikConnect) over the internet. I have no idea how that works, but since my router is behind a firewall, I suspect there is some kind of relay server in China.

Anyway, the question is if Blue Iris would provide similar functionality?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Depending on the age and model, it's likely that RTSP can be used to stream video from the DVR to a PC where Blue Iris is installed.
As a VMS, BI can do any and everything a NVR/DVR can do and much, much more and do it better, IMO.

What is the DVR model number?

Reaction score
Hi Tony, it's DS-7208HGHI-F1/N. The web page for this model has links to the documents for the model, which I have downloaded. The only one that mentions RTSP is the User Manual.
I have no particular affinity to Hikvision as a brand, although the equipment seems pretty solidly built (the DVR) and weatherproof (the cameras). The only reason I have this is that it is quite popular here in Ecuador, and so that's what all the "amateur experts" seem to push. IP-based systems are still much more expensive and not that common for home use. It is the third world, after all. I would be quite open to switching to something else as long as it is available here. I just don't know enough about this field yet to make good decisions, thus my joining this forum. I suppose the intelligent thing to do would be for me to download Blue Iris and give it a shot before buying a license (I assume there is a limited functionality demo). Thanks for your help!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you're not going to replace the analog cam DVR with BI, which only works with IP cams (unless you have special analog encoding hardware, whcih makes no economic sense these days unless you already have it lying around) but you could pull IP-encoded streams from the DVR into BI, tho it won't buy you much for the added complexity. You'd still need to make BI accessible from the internet somehow (just the like the DVR) for external access...

and, yes the DVR can be configured to connect to a cloud server (hik-connect) for external access, but as you suspected
that's not really secure. Best practice is to set up a VPN conenction into your network for access to the DVR (or BI, if you do go that way).

Reaction score
you're not going to replace the analog cam DVR with BI, which only works with IP cams (unless you have special analog encoding hardware, whcih makes no economic sense these days unless you already have it lying around) but you could pull IP-encoded streams from the DVR into BI, tho it won't buy you much for the added complexity. You'd still need to make BI accessible from the internet somehow (just the like the DVR) for external access...

and, yes the DVR can be configured to connect to a cloud server (hik-connect) for external access, but as you suspected
that's not really secure. Best practice is to set up a VPN conenction into your network for access to the DVR (or BI, if you do go that way).
Thanks for the information. I started looking at NVR equipment, and the prices have come down a lot since I looked six months or so ago. Hikvision still seems the most popular here in Ecuador, but an 8-port NVR is down to not much over $100 now.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a new NVR unless/until you also replace the cams with IP cams.
IE, don't spend more money on another NVR that will also be obsolete before you even install it...
Dahua has systems that can use existing coax cables, (with baluns/adapters at either end) if that helps...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision 8-camera 1080p DVR, but I don't much like the software that comes with it.The cameras are all 1080p analog cameras that connect with coaxial cable to the DVR. The DVR itself can connect by ethernet to a switch or router, and theoretically the DVR can then be accessed via a web browser, but that way of accessing it isn't supported very well. Instead, there is dedicated software that runs on Windows and connects by IP address to the DVR. Additionally, the DVR can be accessed by a smartphone app (HikConnect) over the internet. I have no idea how that works, but since my router is behind a firewall, I suspect there is some kind of relay server in China.

Anyway, the question is if Blue Iris would provide similar functionality?
Welcome, study this: Cliff Notes

inline6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I still use feeds from my DVR and record with BlueIris. I have 3 Analog PTZ's and an LPR that work seamlessly with the 5 regular IP cams all running through the BI.
No need to throw the old analog out yet,.
I would never hesitate to purchase BI software . You just must have a decent and dedicated PC with Intel Quick Synch Video capabilities to run it, though.

Reaction score
Thanks! It is nice to be able to mix and match different brands and even different technology cameras. I would probably run Windows in a Proxmox VM, which gives quite good performance. It’s such a shame it doesn’t run natively on Linux, though.