Newbie Question. please help.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman please point me in the right direction. what would you recommend?
There are many variables...I would suggest reading through the many posts on the subject..
Over the past few years, hikvision and dahua have been reliable brands...you can find these in costco under swann and lorex brands respectively...they have a great return policy.
If you want to have more choice with respect to the type of cameras (dome, turret, bullet, audio, lens size (wide angle, narrow) you will have to piece together a system...
You need to determine if you want to use a standalone NVR..or a pc based NVR.
You can buy the cameras direct from china for cheaper (via known reliable sellers on aliexpress), though you will not get warranty/support and you will have firmware update issues if you choose to do so..
Alternatively you can buy from US base sellers like Nellys security (site sponsor) or LTS, see thread by user milkisbad...where you will get support and warranty...
Make sure to post your questions before you buy so that you dont end up with something not suitable for you...
Take the time to learn about your options and make an informed decision...

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I definitely will do more reading. From what I have read so far, I am looking at doing 2 bullet cameras for the front of the house. 2 dome cameras at the sides as the space is smaller on the sides and then 2 bullets on the back of the house. I was leaning towards a stand alone nvr. I also wanted the option of remote access and maybe add 2 more cameras in the near future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I definitely will do more reading. From what I have read so far, I am looking at doing 2 bullet cameras for the front of the house. 2 dome cameras at the sides as the space is smaller on the sides and then 2 bullets on the back of the house. I was leaning towards a stand alone nvr. I also wanted the option of remote access and maybe add 2 more cameras in the near future.
I would go with the hikvision 2332 turrets over the bullets or the domes, dahua has a similar style 4300c ...they have better nightvision and are less prone to spiders causing issues...

alkizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I would go with the hikvision 2332 turrets over the bullets or the domes, dahua has a similar style 4300c ...they have better nightvision and are less prone to spiders causing issues...
The HIKVISION turrets have better IR/NV than Dahua? Or better than the HIKVISION bullet/dome counterparts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The HIKVISION turrets have better IR/NV than Dahua? Or better than the HIKVISION bullet/dome counterparts?
Better than other hikvision cameras....also better (in my opinion than some dahua 3mp cameras)...the best low light I have seen is from the dahua 1.3mp 2100 series cameras...note that generally a camera with nativity lower MP will result in better nightvision..its hard to accurately compare cameras without mounting them in the exact same position.

alkizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
Better than other hikvision cameras....also better (in my opinion than some dahua 3mp cameras)...the best low light I have seen is from the dahua 1.3mp 2100 series cameras...note that generally a camera with nativity lower MP will result in better nightvision..its hard to accurately compare cameras without mounting them in the exact same position.
Any good recommendations? I don't need good night vision, but I need to address the spider issue.

My first brand name camera is a DS-2CD2032-I, which cost me only 80$ in total. So far I am satisfied with it, but I want to purchase another camera that will go in my heavily spider-populated backyard.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any good recommendations? I don't need good night vision, but I need to address the spider issue.

My first brand name camera is a DS-2CD2032-I, which cost me only 80$ in total. So far I am satisfied with it, but I want to purchase another camera that will go in my heavily spider-populated backyard.
The only way to truly eliminate the spider issue is to use a separate IR illuminator or better yet add lighting...
That said, I find the the turret cameras like the hikvision 2332 and the dahua hdw-4300c have less issues because the IR led is separate from the lens..