Newbie Question

Shaun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get security cameras in my house, but i want to backup the video to Google Drive as I already pay for the storage, I don't want to pay another monthly fee to Nest etc,

So I was thinking of getting a small, cheap PC that stays always on and hook up 3-4 wireless IP cameras to it. I can then install something like ispyconnect and get that to back up to my Google Drive account, and maybe save 30 days worth of video.

Would that work, or am I missing something here?

TIA!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get security cameras in my house, but i want to backup the video to Google Drive as I already pay for the storage, I don't want to pay another monthly fee to Nest etc,

So I was thinking of getting a small, cheap PC that stays always on and hook up 3-4 wireless IP cameras to it. I can then install something like ispyconnect and get that to back up to my Google Drive account, and maybe save 30 days worth of video.

TIA!
This similar topic has been discussed in several threads, so you may want to spend some time e looking around the forum.
Quick note that may just shut down your thought though is bandwidth limitations - what is you monthly data cap, what are your Internet speeds up/down. You need to do the math of 3 to 4 cameras continuously streaming a main stream to the cloud, I'm guessing you don't have the bandwidth available.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

TIA!
Yes you can do exactly that,ispy and wireless ip cams, pc running 24/7 is what i do, except i use google photos instead of google drive, drive puts the videos into individual folders whereas photos doesn't, so easier to scroll through the videos on my phone with google photos.
I don't have cameras streaming constantly to any cloud, my cameras, 11 of them, are on the same network as my pc, the pc just uploads the recorded videos to google photos within about 1 minute of being recorded.

Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont use wireless cams - you will have issues...also dont use ispy, they charge for alerts and remote access..if you want a free vms, milestone essentials is free for up to 8 cams.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, i haven't had any issues with wireless android cameras, the foscams, well they aren't as good wired or wireless, framerate etc.
I have a good router that easily copes with anything wireless i can throw at it and i have purposely tried to stress it, 9 wireless cameras and 3 x wireless tablets and 2 x wireless tv's streaming HD movies all at the same time from my pc server, i couldn't get any movie streams to have buffer problems, i couldn't do any more because i don't have any more devices.
Re iSPY and remote access, i don't need remote access from iSPY, i view my cameras remotely using Tinycam monitor on my phone, i could also use Tinycam on a tablet left at home with the webserver function on that so i could do the remote access into that for free.
Milestone for free doesn't allow enough cameras for me, like i said, i sometimes stream my 9 cameras and i also have in the past streamed cameras which were at another location to my pc.

Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, i haven't had any issues with wireless android cameras, the foscams, well they aren't as good wired or wireless, framerate etc.
I have a good router that easily copes with anything wireless i can throw at it and i have purposely tried to stress it, 9 wireless cameras and 3 x wireless tablets and 2 x wireless tv's streaming HD movies all at the same time from my pc server, i couldn't get any movie streams to have buffer problems, i couldn't do any more because i don't have any more devices.
Re iSPY and remote access, i don't need remote access from iSPY, i view my cameras remotely using Tinycam monitor on my phone, i could also use Tinycam on a tablet left at home with the webserver function on that so i could do the remote access into that for free.
Milestone for free doesn't allow enough cameras for me, like i said, i sometimes stream my 9 cameras and i also have in the past streamed cameras which were at another location to my pc.

Paul.
Wireless cannot be reliable...a microwave oven interferes with it. Foscam has always and still is bottom barrel garbage. There are MUCH better cameras out there in the same price range. It should NEVER be a consideration when purchasing cameras. Milestone was a recommendation to the OP. If you need a vms that supports more 8 cameras then blue iris blows ispy out of the water...and you will have the ability to review any of your stored video remotely.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree about the Foscams, indeed there are better cameras out here for a lot less.
I also agree about the microwave, fortunately that's only an issue for me if the viewing tablet is on the 2.4ghz, if it's on the 5ghz then my stream to the tablet is ok, the cameras themselves don't seem to be close enough to be affected by the microwave.
I've tried Blue Iris, didn't get on with it.
I already have the ability to view my stored videos when not at home.
It seems i'm in the minority and lucky not to have wireless issues.

Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The purpose of my post was to help the Opi avoid bad advice such as using Wireless and using ISpy.. those options should be avoided

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, i agree, i'll never again advise someone to use something that works so well for me, something which he specifically enquired about, iSPY and wireless ip cameras, something which i've set up for numerous friends, all of which are happy with what they now have almost for free.
I'll be on my way then.

Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, i agree, i'll never again advise someone to use something that works so well for me, something which he specifically enquired about, iSPY and wireless ip cameras, something which i've set up for numerous friends, all of which are happy with what they now have almost for free.
I'll be on my way then.

Paul.
Good. At least we are clear. You can dump your subpar advice on your friends and other forums..Not here. On this forum we try to save our members money and grief.