Newbie question

Maiben

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, just signed up as this forum has a wealth of information on everything surveillance related

I am starting from scratch, I have the entire house wired with cat6a cable and 3 cables ran to different points to the exterior of the house, I have all the cables ran to a network switch

My question is if say I had 3 dahua camers ran off the exterior cat cables to a NVR with Poe which would be getting internet from the switch, would I be able to view the live feeds of the cameras off a htpc which is connected to the network switch, the htpc is setup in the living room connected to the tv

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very likely.

Does NVR have HDMI output and is it near the TV?

If answer is "no" to either, then perhaps you can open a browser on the htpc and bring up the LAN IP of the NVR (the HTTP URL) and use the NVR's embedded webGUI to view the cams on the TV.

Last question: is the TV a "smart TV' with the possibility of installing Android apps?

P.S. - welcome to IPCT! :wave:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, just signed up as this forum has a wealth of information on everything surveillance related

I am starting from scratch, I have the entire house wired with cat6a cable and 3 cables ran to different points to the exterior of the house, I have all the cables ran to a network switch

My question is if say I had 3 dahua camers ran off the exterior cat cables to a NVR with Poe which would be getting internet from the switch, would I be able to view the live feeds of the cameras off a htpc which is connected to the network switch, the htpc is setup in the living room connected to the tv
Welcome @Maiben

Just make certain the IP addresses are in the same subnet and the subnet masks works.
( examples: 192.168.x.x and subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 works.. or 192.168.1.x and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 )

Note - internet is not needed for non-cloud cameras, just a local LAN

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or you can buy a $25 amazon Fire TV Stick and install the tinyCam Pro app on it, plug into TV's HDMI port. Configure the Fire Stick to stream a cam, cams or very likely, the NVR itself.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Maiben

n3wb
Reaction score
Very likely.

Does NVR have HDMI output and is it near the TV?

If answer is "no" to either, then perhaps you can open a browser on the htpc and bring up the LAN IP of the NVR (the HTTP URL) and use the NVR's embedded webGUI to view the cams on the TV.

Last question: is the TV a "smart TV' with the possibility of installing Android apps?

P.S. - welcome to IPCT! :wave:
NVR would be in a separate room so hdmi wouldn't work,

TV is Samsung which is smart but don't think it's Android based

From all the answers I have got it gives me enough assurances that I will be able to find a solution when I am all set up

Htpc is running Windows 10 btw

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Htpc is running Windows 10 btw
Hi @Maiben

Excellent, you will have many options if they htpc is running windows!

Lots of good software you can try out as long as the cameras / NVR / Blue Iris system are connected on the network.