Newbie Question

ba0ba0king

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have some noob question regarding IP camera.

1. Is it possible to record our IP camera thru internet? I mean from our outlet we put 1 IP camera from their attach it to the router and the recording will be on our head office?

2. Can you suggest any software that I can use if my number 1 question is possible?

Really,really need your help guys.

Thanks.

Anton

desmolift

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Is it possible to record our IP camera thru internet? I mean from our outlet we put 1 IP camera from their attach it to the router and the recording will be on our head office?
It's also possible to record directly onto the IP Camera via an SD card, given an IP Camera with this option. With this method, you do not need any software, its played back through the cameras Web interface.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to record our IP camera thru internet?
Be aware that a typical 1080p camera will stream video at 4 - 8Mbps, so you will need a good uplink speed on the internet at the camera location if you are not going to impact it's availability for other use.

ba0ba0king

n3wb
Reaction score
Be aware that a typical 1080p camera will stream video at 4 - 8Mbps, so you will need a good uplink speed on the internet at the camera location if you are not going to impact it's availability for other use.
Guys this is now happening :-( the live view is delay from 10 seconds to 1 min. Any suggestion on how to improve our viewing and recording experience? below is the speed our internet.Screenshot_1.png

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That upload speed is way too slow. I'm surprised you are getting anything!

ba0ba0king

n3wb
Reaction score
That upload speed is way too slow. I'm surprised you are getting anything!
We are one of the most high priced internet bill and most of the ISP's here in the Philippines gives poooorrr service. Tried talking to their support they say, we cant request for a higher upload speed we need to upgrade to higher package so that they can give us 10-30% of upload increase, i say WTF?

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What distance from the cameras are you trying to record? If you have line of sight you could look at a wireless system up to 20 kilometres away.

I'm lucky in my city we have gigabit speed and in theory get 1000 megabit down and 500 up (actual speeds are about 900 and 450).

speed.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

ba0ba0king

n3wb
Reaction score
What distance from the cameras are you trying to record? If you have line of sight you could look at a wireless system up to 20 kilometres away.

I'm lucky in my city we have gigabit speed and in theory get 1000 megabit down and 500 up (actual speeds are about 900 and 450).

View attachment 7729
WOW!!! too bad we are very far from that kind of speed.

I took a screenshot of the area that I want to cover, its just a small office. Screenshot_2.png

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing to look into apart from the speed of the wifi bridge that MacNCheese is suggesting is the cost of streaming all that data over your Internet connection. You probably don't have unlimited data included on your monthly bill so everything over a certain point will cost more money. Find out what your data cap is, how much extra they'll charge you per megabyte, and do the math for how many megabytes you will be streaming per month at .390 megabits per second. 8 hours per day 5 days a week? 24 hours a day 7 days a week? You'll also probably be billed twice- once to send it from the small office and once to receive it at the big office. You may find that the money it'll cost you to set up a wireless bridge will be paid for in the first month or so or Internet overage charges. The bridge should be a LOT faster, not tie up your current Internet connection, and most likely be a lot cheaper in the long run as well. You might even be able to eliminate an entire Internet bill by running the small office Internet along with the camera traffic through the bridge to the head office. Just plug the small office end of the bridge into a wireless router. Distribute Internet and connect your ip camera from there. This all depends on whether or not you can see the small office (or an antenna tower on the roof of the small office's building) from the head office.

If you can't do wireless bridges for whatever reason, maybe have the camera record in high quality to a local computer, NVR, NAS or internal SD card on-site and try to view the substream (lower resolution and quality) remotely at the head office, possibly even on-demand so it doesn't use data constantly. .390 megabits/s is almost 50kB/s and that should support a low-resolution substream fairly well, especially if you'd be happy at dropping your frame rates down to 7 or 4 fps.