Newbie questions: firmware upg. and NAS settings

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Warning for newbie questions :)
My setup:
NVR: DS-7616NI-K2
Camera: DS-2DE3304W-DE

I want to upgrade the firmware in at least one of my cameras, who is connected to my NVR.
It seems to be pretty strait forward when looking through the menus but I can't see how I'm supposed to get the file to the NVR or the camera?
Sure, I can download the file on a USB-stick and put it in the NVRs USB-port but that means I have to unplugged the mouse and how I'm I supposed to interact with the NVR then!?!?
Through the web gui I can only upgrade the NVRs firmware, not cameras, it seems.
I tested to use the browser to connect directly to the cameras but that doesn't work, probably because they are in another subnet (192.168.254.xxx).

I must be missing something vital here :D

I guess I can get a USB-hub but can the NVR handle that?

Another thought was to use my NAS. But there is no option to specify username and password for the shared folder in the NVR, so that fails. I'm testing with a guest account but I rather not have that permanently.
Also, I'm not sure what path to specify. Can I use the same as in Windows, \\Net\NAS ? Or should it be just \NAS? I've tested a few combinations but it doesn't connect.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to be pretty strait forward when looking through the menus
This is the 'upgrade' icon on on the camera settings page of the VGA/HDMI interface?
I've not used this, but presumably it's there for that purpose.

Sure, I can download the file on a USB-stick and put it in the NVRs USB-port but that means I have to unplugged the mouse and how I'm I supposed to interact with the NVR then!?!?
Use the rear panel USB port as well.

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, Of cause, it has one USB on the front and one in the back! Maybe I should take a closer look at the unit before I ask stupid questions :) My excuse is that it's in a pretty inaccessible and dark place and I'm not looking on it very often :)
I also found out that I could access the camera directly by activate Virtual host in the NVR. So now I can upgrade the camera from my sofa. Much easier.