Newbie seeking advice for small retail store security camera system.

Steve68

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I had someone come in and make a $600 purchase with counterfeit $100 bills so it's time to upgrade my security camera system.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Reolink security system but after seeing many negative post here I have decided to widen my search.

From the little research I have done at this point I believe I have 3 options.

Option 1: A prepackaged DVR with cameras that's ready to be used out of the box. (This is where Reolink comes into play) Admittedly this is an attractive option since it seems the easiest and less time consuming. One of the major negatives I've read about Reolink is the blurry night vision that occurs during motion. I can see that being a huge issue in dark situations at night but my cameras will be all inside in a lighted environment. Does the fact that cameras will be located inside in a lighted environment make the Reolink a viable option? If not, is there any other brand prepackaged DVR systems that would be recommended?

Option 2: Install Blue Iris software on my existing PC that I use on a daily bases to do all my office work and buy good quality cameras. If this is a viable option can a second monitor be used exclusively for the security footage?

Option 3: Option 2 but buy a standalone PC with adequate specs instead of using my existing work PC ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolinks daytime quality is decent. It really depends on how much light you have. Personally I would stay away because they may work now inside, but if you decide you need external cams later then you are stuck.

An amcrest or lorex would be a good choice for the simple box solution and then you could always upgrade to other cameras later.

The best solution is as you mentioned a stand alone computer with BI that won't limit you to camera brand.

The biggest negative about the all in one box kits are that they are usually all 2.8mm fixed lens cameras, which means the ability to IDENTIFY starts to get problematic much past 15 feet, so you need a lot of them or well positioned at entry and exit points. They are usually on cheaper sensors and not ideal MP/sensor ratios, but for indoor you can probably get away with it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The biggest negative about the all in one box kits are that they are usually all 2.8mm fixed lens cameras, which means the ability to IDENTIFY starts to get problematic much past 15 feet, so you need a lot of them or well positioned at entry and exit points. They are usually on cheaper sensors and not ideal MP/sensor ratios, but for indoor you can probably get away with it.
Agreed, multiple 2.8mm fixed lens cameras will generate a lot of wasted pixels with little benefit. Two or three good varifocal cameras will let you zoom in on the faces of the people going in and out the door, standing at the register, going in and out of the restroom, etc.

If it is practical to do so, I'd add at least a couple of outdoor cameras; one to monitor the parking lot, and another (if possible) to capture license plates of vehicles. The police will really appreciate vehicle information if you're hit by another counterfeiter or a gang of shoplifters.

Also consider some interior lights for your store, and set up your cameras to activate those lights, sound an audible alarm, and send you a notification if a human figure enters your store after hours. Blue Iris can handle that for you. Also set up a UPS system to keep everything running even a if burglar flips the AC circuit breakers.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, boxed kits that come with pre-terminated CAT cables are, more often than not, CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) which you definitely do NOT want to install or use, especially with POE cameras.

More on cable:
Less waste and better outcome by buying UL-listed bulk cable from a reputable vendor. Use only solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA) cable with the jacket rated for the application; generally that's CMR (R="RISER") for in-wall, crawl spaces, attics, and between floors. Use outdoor-rated (UV and moisture) cable for outdoor apps.

Terminate both ends with the approved connectors for that cable (i.e. CAT-5 RJ-45 connectors for CAT-5 cable, CAT-6 for CAT-6, etc.) and terminate both ends using the T-568B spec.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy a black light and learn how to identify funny money. No matter how GREAT one's system and pictures,
even if the guy gives real driver's number etc. YOU are going to be out the merchandise and the funny money, again.

Last edited:

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Buy a black light and learn how to identify funny money. No matter how GREAT one's system and pictures,
even if the guy gives real driver's number etc. YOU are going to be out he merchandise and the funny money, again.
Or get the counterfeit detecting pens.

Since @Steve68 said they are $100 dollar bills, if they are high quality ( known as super bills from China and NK) make sure he takes them over to the Secret Service as evidence. That's their primary job. They will fingerprint them so put them in a zip lock bag to persevere the evidence.

Also when looking at bills ALWAYS look at the back of a bill. Counterfeiters will spend all their effort on the face of the bill, however they will not spend the time to make the back of the bills look good. Look at the back and look for bleeds in the finest lines on the back of the bill. There are other security measures built in to bills that you can use/see if it is real.

Edited to add this link:
4 Ways to Detect Counterfeit US Money - wikiHow

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I had someone come in and make a $600 purchase with counterfeit $100 bills so it's time to upgrade my security camera system.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Reolink security system but after seeing many negative post here I have decided to widen my search.

From the little research I have done at this point I believe I have 3 options.

Option 1: A prepackaged DVR with cameras that's ready to be used out of the box. (This is where Reolink comes into play) Admittedly this is an attractive option since it seems the easiest and less time consuming. One of the major negatives I've read about Reolink is the blurry night vision that occurs during motion. I can see that being a huge issue in dark situations at night but my cameras will be all inside in a lighted environment. Does the fact that cameras will be located inside in a lighted environment make the Reolink a viable option? If not, is there any other brand prepackaged DVR systems that would be recommended?

Option 2: Install Blue Iris software on my existing PC that I use on a daily bases to do all my office work and buy good quality cameras. If this is a viable option can a second monitor be used exclusively for the security footage?

Option 3: Option 2 but buy a standalone PC with adequate specs instead of using my existing work PC ?
Hi @Steve68

See the DORI section of the cliff notes ..

Decide if you need better resolution .. example perhaps a camera focusing on the bills on the counter ..

Once you have defined what you functionally want it is easier to find solutions to match ..