Newbie - want surveillance camera

Chickeneps

n3wb
Reaction score
Here’s what I’d like:

• camera mounted on my house looking at my driveway
  • Wireless so no cables
  • be able to view remotely (when I’m not home) via my phone

Quality isn’t a big deal and is mostly for daytime. I have fast ATT Fiber 1GB internet and excellent computer and network skills.

Suggestions?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here’s what I’d like:

• camera mounted on my house looking at my driveway
  • Wireless so no cables
  • be able to view remotely (when I’m not home) via my phone

Quality isn’t a big deal and is mostly for daytime. I have fast ATT Fiber 1GB internet and excellent computer and network skills.

Suggestions?
Welcome @Chickeneps

Wireless - no cables - in general most members have not found adequate solutions that meet their security needs with cameras that meet those specifications.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

So you stated what you would like. But did not state what you are trying to achieve. Do you just want to know if someone is there? Are you concerned with a perp doing something in the driveway? Like stealing the catalytic converter or your car? Or stealing from within your car? Do you want to be able to ID this perp? Do you want to be able to give LE a good quality video that would be used as evidence in a court of law? If you are, then quality IS a big deal, and wireless is less than reliable.

To give a good recommendation, one would need to know what your objective is and more about the layout of your house/driveway.

Chickeneps

n3wb
Reaction score
I just want to know if a certain car is in my driveway, or parked on the street next to my driveway, actually. I'm not really interested in crime. Really simple. It's a two-car-length and width driveway up to my garage which is attached to my house.

I have a small inexpensive Geeni camera I use for 3D printing. My 3D printer is upstairs and I'm often downstairs, so I want to know if a certain print is done or if I run out of filament or something went wrong. So I have a app on my phone that uses Bluetooth to connect to the camera. Works great.

The difference here is that I want to monitor what cars are in my driveway (or on the street) when I'm NOT HOME. So it's really the end-to-end technology beyond Buetooth.

The reason I want wireless (likely between the camera and the computers/router) is because this isn't worth it to drill holes in my house. HOWEVER... I do have a window that is right above my driveway BUT it is quite a ways away from my computer equipment and router.