Newbie with a ton of questions

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am interested in installing a decent system around my house due to some ongoing concerns. I have been trying to do some research and found out about this site from some folks over at Garage Journal.com. My first inclination was to go with something off the shelf that would not be overly complicated or expensive. I quickly found out that by far the way to go was with a POE system. I came across this all in one box system on the Swann site http://www.swann.com/us/swnvk-870854t and went to my local computer store to see what it looked like. The price there was 399.00 but I know nothing about it at all. It appears to me that the NVR may be Hikvision but the cameras though similar are not built the same. I really would like to do something that is halfway decent with around 4 cameras and stay in the 500 to 600 ballpark if at all possible. What are your thoughts on this system or something else that might fit my needs? Thanks, Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am interested in installing a decent system around my house due to some ongoing concerns. I have been trying to do some research and found out about this site from some folks over at Garage Journal.com. My first inclination was to go with something off the shelf that would not be overly complicated or expensive. I quickly found out that by far the way to go was with a POE system. I came across this all in one box system on the Swann site http://www.swann.com/us/swnvk-870854t and went to my local computer store to see what it looked like. The price there was 399.00 but I know nothing about it at all. It appears to me that the NVR may be Hikvision but the cameras though similar are not built the same. I really would like to do something that is halfway decent with around 4 cameras and stay in the 500 to 600 ballpark if at all possible. What are your thoughts on this system or something else that might fit my needs? Thanks, Jim
Not sure who makes those cameras, but they are certainly not compatible with hikvision systems...the 2mp and 3mp swanns sometimes are..there are several flavors of swann cams and nvr...
At 399 it will be a good basic system...just dont expect to be able to use the cameras with swann hikvision systems in the future...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you do a Google on the camera itself (NHD-806 Cameras) it comes back with quite a bit of mixed reviews. Some say they break fairly quick and they have a difficult time getting support from Swann directly.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a Google search by model number as well and that is what concerned me. I knew that Hikvision made a lot of their earlier stuff but could not figure out who was making this newer stuff. I am considering just putting something together myself which is why I came here. I like what I have read about the 4mp Hikvision bullets, seems like a lot of bang for the buck. The wiring I can take care of quite easily. The uncertain aspect for me is the NVR and the programming. I would like an 8 channel NVR for possible expansion, but it does not need to be the Cadillac of the fleet. I really just wan't reliable and easy to program and navigate.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same fears before getting my Hikvision system, theres nothing to it. Plus no question goes unanswered here no matter how silly or if it was repeated you will get guidance. Everyone gets help. If you get a Hikvision system feel free to PM me and I will gladly help you and give step by step instructions.

I think you can stay within your range with a Hikvision set. 4 cameras about $360. NVR $250 plus a a Hard Drive and Cabling. The system is well worth it. Not much more then sets with lower specs.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus no question goes unanswered here no matter how silly or if it was repeated you will get guidance. Everyone gets help.
* Disclaimer: Sometimes a thread slips through the cracks, but that is mostly true! Sometimes a thread needs a bump to get attention.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I at least have a starting point now. I think initially I am going to start with 4 LTS 3mp bullets the CMIP8232B model and the LTS LTN8708-P8 NVR. Anybody here have a good recommendation on a hard drive size and manufacturer? I was thinking WD 2 TB security drive was probably sufficient for this application.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just looked this NVR up its $300+ on amazon, is that the price?

Why not get these here? ebay item # 131197607595 Hikvision branded

why are you going with the LTS brand? Just hang out here for a few more days before you rush into something.

Heres another item if you dont mind waiting 10 days to get, $80 shipped multi language and Hikvision branded.

Ebay item# 121646993767

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked this NVR up its $300+ on amazon, is that the price?

Why not get these here? ebay item # 131197607595 Hikvision branded

why are you going with the LTS brand? Just hang out here for a few more days before you rush into something.
Its much cheaper than the amazon price...lts is rebranded hikvision, comes with a 3 year warranty and US firmware...

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its much cheaper than the amazon price...lts is rebranded hikvision, comes with a 3 year warranty and US firmware...
Yep! There are some great folks with some good advice and connections on this site. Current pricing on the NVR is 229.00 and the Cameras are 119.00 which I think is pretty good for the warranty and the US firmware. Supposed to be plug and play. I have enough Amazon points to pick up a 2TB WD purple drive from Amazon. So all I need is to find a deal on some cable and nail down my camera locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only issue I feel I really need to address now is the camera placement. I have a very rectangular ranch house, the driveway goes down one side of it and dead ends into my shop/garage approximately 24 feet behind the house. If I run direct burial cat5e out to the garage I can place one camera in the gable end of the garage That will cover one end of the house and driveway. If I place another camera on the overhang of the garage I can cover my patio door and the back of the house. The other end of the house is more difficult, the best place to mount the camera would be the trunk of a huge Norway spruce tree that is off the corner. The lower limbs are gone and it would give a clear shot of the windows ac unit etc. The front of the house has the same issue the best location would be a big crimson king maple that is diagonal to the front door. It is roughly the same distance as the closest corner overhang but gives a better view of the porch and windows. Does anybody here ever mount cameras in trees? If so what measures should I take to do this successfully and professionally?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So all I need is to find a deal on some cable and nail down my camera locations.
Dont skimp on the cable, make sure its Solid not stranded, and more importantly that is copper NOT copper clad aluminum (CCA)...