Newby BI question re choosing HW and OS platform

psolvik

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to install a really good exterior day/night video security surveillance at two homes.

-I'm thinking I will have 5-7 cameras at each
-Will pick newest 3mp Hikvision or Dahua IR cameras
-Resolution is important to me to see who/what/where
-Most will be PoE, but 1-2 at each site will need to have local power and WiFi
-I've looked at a bunch of software platforms and am thinking BI is best option
-Want to save video when there is motion, send emails or alerts or texts in certain situations

Now a few questions:

-Thinking Windows 8.1 64 bit, (no need for 8.1 pro?). Good choice?

-Thinking Intel NUC:
-Core i7
-16MB RAM
-2GB 7200 RPM 2.5" internal SATA III drive
-Probably runs about $1,000 each
-Overkill, good choice, better suggestions?

-Any specific camera suggestions?

-Comments, suggestions, advice?

Thanks much!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@psolvik Welcome to the forum!
A NUC is a terrible choice for NVR in general and particularly for blue iris....They are overpriced, have relatively weak processors and cannot hold larger 3.5 inch drives...If you are set on a small form factor there are slim models from dell and hp that can be had for 300-500 dollars..from the dell outlet or ebay which have 3 year next business day warranties. These models will also all have 8.1 pro...the only benefit of pro for NVR, is remote desktop built into windows, if you want to use that vs teamviewer..
The most powerful i7 for nucs - even the new broadwell is about as powerful as an i3 haswell desktop processor...
While an i7 nuc may be able to handle 5 x3mp cameras, with 7 cameras you will need to start making compromises with respect to frame rates...you will not have any room for expansion....
See this thread...
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3789-Considering-Intel-NUC-5-i7-(RYH)-for-BI-Server-feedback?highlight=nuc

tenac

n3wb
Reaction score
My AMD eight core with 16 gig of ram runs Blue Iris well with 7 cameras . Tonight , lightning kept all cams recording at once with only a 28 to 32 percent cpu load .
I have 4 Hikvision 3mp , 1 Foscam 720p and 2 640 x 480 .