Newby from upstate NY

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Semi-retired, trying to put a system together. Thought I had my cameras picked out (HIKVISION 2CD2032-I), but then saw a thread started by networkcamercritic on Hikvision USA vs Hikvision Issues. That was step 1 for me.
Step 2 was getting a NVR, had that picked out (HIKvison DS7608NI-SE8) so the above thread has made me think about using a computer for the NVR. Can anybody list the advantages/disadvantages of a dedicated NVR vs a computer. Thanks

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! What part of upstate NY are you from?

There are pro's and con's to both NVR's and computers. I personally run Blue Iris on a dedicated Windows 7 machine and have an inexpensive ION NVR recording 24/7 for backup. In my opinion there are a ton more options and features using software such as Blue Iris, Xprotect, etc. on the computer. I find myself using the Blue Iris mobile app multiple times a day to check alerts, videos, etc. It's way easier then checking the NVR but at the same time computers freeze, they reset, get viruses, etc. A NVR may be a bit more stable than a computer. How many cameras are you looking to set up? I have installed 3 of the NVR's you mentioned for friends and they have been perfect, no issues at all.

I'm sure more people will chime in with their opinions :D

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Initially 3 cameras, next year 1 more, and the next your a PTZ if prices come down. So I am looking at a max of 5. I'm not really interested in mobile apps. I kind of like the stability of the NVR over a Windows based system. My main concern is that HIKvison may prohibit sales to end users so you would have to purchase the cameral and other devices from installers. Networkcameracritic said he would know more in 3 weeks. I was also able to google NVR vs computers and got the pro and cons.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Initially 3 cameras, next year 1 more, and the next your a PTZ if prices come down. So I am looking at a max of 5. I'm not really interested in mobile apps. I kind of like the stability of the NVR over a Windows based system. My main concern is that HIKvison may prohibit sales to end users so you would have to purchase the cameral and other devices from installers. Networkcameracritic said he would know more in 3 weeks. I was also able to google NVR vs computers and got the pro and cons.
I would not worry about the availability of hik products direct to consumer. There is always Costco hikvision rebranded as swann or a direct from china option.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not worry about the availability of hik products direct to consumer. There is always Costco hikvision rebranded as swann or a direct from china option.
+1, I doubt we will ever have a problem getting our hands on these cameras but NetworkCameraCritic is an extremely reliable source and knows his stuff. We will see what happens.

I'm up in the Mohawk Valley, Herkimer, halfway between Syracuse and Albany.
Nice. I grew up in Westchester and live in Orange County now.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Went to the Costco website, I did not see any stand alone NVRs for Swann, they were all systems with cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you are correct. The nvr is not available stand alone from Costco, however, there will always be folks selling them. What is your concern? parts, warranty?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've always favored NVR's over computers. Manufacturers have spent tons of money developing this product to be run 24/7, 365 unlike computer companies. If your not a compute wizard, where you can
tinker with a computer easily, than I recommend an NVR. Mike is right that you have more options with software on a PC, but for your average person, what else do you need than record, view, and playback?

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you are correct. The nvr is not available stand alone from Costco, however, there will always be folks selling them. What is your concern? parts, warranty?
Parts, warranty but mainly with the NVRs & cameras - compatibility and interoperability. Seems like a lot of proprietary designs in the NVRs (this x brand camera won't work with this y brand NVR, or your y brand NVR will not work with y brand cameras 2 years down the road). Kind of reminds me of the wild west networking days of the 80s. I'm new to this surveillance stuff, but the lack of standardization in some areas, where it is a crapshoot of whether this camera from vendor a works with the NVR from vendor b, makes me hesitant about jumping into the market.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've always favored NVR's over computers. Manufacturers have spent tons of money developing this product to be run 24/7, 365 unlike computer companies. If your not a compute wizard, where you can
tinker with a computer easily, than I recommend an NVR. Mike is right that you have more options with software on a PC, but for your average person, what else do you need than record, view, and playback?
I agree with you about running 24/7. I looked at a new PC system from Dell, and I would have probably spent over $800. Checked NVRs and found one (7608NI-SE 8P) at a website for about $400 (no hard drive) and found a 3 TB hd (WD purple drive) for about $160. But that is on hold, because of the thread started by networkcamercritic on Hikvision USA vs Hikvision Issues.