Night recording - somewhat blurry

Reaction score
I have two DS-2CD2142FWD-IS installed. I have had these cameras for a while but didn't really have time to optimize things until now. Most settings are default. Resolutions are set to 1080p, 20 fps, 6144 bitrate, variable. Day-time recordings (from saved files, not real-time viewing) are satisfactory to me - pretty clear; however, night-time recordings (from saved files, not real-time reviewing) are somewhat blurry to me but acceptable. What are some settings that I can adjust?

On the other hand, I have the newer DS-2CD2155FWD-I, which I purchased recently. Most settings are default. Resolution is set to 1440p, 20 fps, 6144 bitrate, variable. Both day- and night-time recordings look very sharp. I'm not sure why the night recording is much better than that of my 2CD2142FWD-IS. Perhaps it's because of the resolution? I'm not sure.

Firmware on all cameras: 5.5.0.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two DS-2CD2142FWD-IS installed. I have had these cameras for a while but didn't really have time to optimize things until now. Most settings are default. Resolutions are set to 1080p, 20 fps, 6144 bitrate, variable. Day-time recordings (from saved files, not real-time viewing) are satisfactory to me - pretty clear; however, night-time recordings (from saved files, not real-time reviewing) are somewhat blurry to me but acceptable. What are some settings that I can adjust?

On the other hand, I have the newer DS-2CD2155FWD-I, which I purchased recently. Most settings are default. Resolution is set to 1440p, 20 fps, 6144 bitrate, variable. Both day- and night-time recordings look very sharp. I'm not sure why the night recording is much better than that of my 2CD2142FWD-IS. Perhaps it's because of the resolution? I'm not sure.

Firmware on all cameras: 5.5.0.
No its not the resolution in fact it would be much worse on the 5mp if the sensor size is identical like in your case..more than likely its the location, including available light, ir bounce back etc that is causing the difference...post images or video.
see low light cams for better nightvision

Reaction score
Posted two images here. Please advise.

DS-2CD2155FWD-I.JPG: You can see that the image is much sharper and clear. 1440p at 20 fps, variable bitrate, 6044 kbps max. image rotated. All other settings are left default. The camera is located in the front side of the house facing the streets (with some street lights at night)

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 001.JPG. Image is somewhat blurry, compared to the 2155 one. 1080p at 20fps, variable bitrate, 6044 kbps max. no image rotation. All other settings are left default. The camera is facing the street directly with some street lights.

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 002.JPG. Image is also blurry, definitely not as clear as the 2155 one above. 1080p at 20fps, variable bitrate, 6044 kbps max. image rotated. All other settings are left default. This is a backyard camera pointing at the balcony. At night, the area is generally all black with zero light.

What can I do to improve the image quality of the two 2142's at night? At day-time, the images are sharp for these two cameras. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Posted two images here. Please advise.

DS-2CD2155FWD-I.JPG: You can see that the image is much sharper and clear. 1440p at 20 fps, variable bitrate, 6044 kbps max. All other settings are left default. The camera is located in the front side of the house facing the streets (with some street lights at night)

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 002.JPG. Image is somewhat blurry, definitely not as clear as the one described above. 1080p at 20fps, variable bitrate, 6044 kbps max. image rotated. All other settings are left default. This is a backyard camera. At night, the area is generally all black with zero light.
that is because the 2155 is viewing objects right next to it..ir is reflecting back and helping the scene...
move the 2142 away from the wall because its reflecting on the top left...disable smart ir.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my experience 4MP Hiks have always had a soft image - your 2142 is a dome type meaning that the outer most lens cover is plastic which will never provide as sharp an image as a glass fronted bullet or turret, these cameras are best suited for close range, that said keep the dome clean and you'll get the most out of it. You appear to have a couple of glare spots - might be dust on the dome or just some flare from a light source (including the cameras own IR).