Night Vision Comparsion (Video and Picture) on 8 Popular Dahua IP Cameras V2.0

Jamestysecurity

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, It's me, James again. Sorry for posting this thread lately. In the past two weeks, I was busy with Dahua Thermal Body Temperature Monitoring Project. This system is capable of highly accurate body temperature monitoring ±0.3℃ (with blackbody) and I will definitely write a review for it in the future.
Thermal System:
Thermal Camera.jpgThermal.png

Ok, Let's go back to business. After listened many advice and suggestions, I redo the tests. This time, walking person with a number plate were involved and the relevant video has also been uploaded in the YouTube.

I also tested some HIKVISION cameras (DS-2CD2385G1-I, DS-2CD2346G1-I/SL and HILOOK IPC-T240H), and will update the results lately.
hik.jpg240.jpg
1.jpg
Camera list:
  • IPC-HDW2431TMP-AS 4MP Startlight IP camera
  • IPC-HDW2831TMP-AS 8MP Startlight IP camera
  • IPC-HDW3441TMP-AS Lite AI 4MP Startlight IP camera
  • IPC-HDW5442TMP-AS Pro AI 4MP Startlight Plus IP camera
  • IPC-HDW5442TMP-AS-LED Pro AI 4MP Full Color IP camera
  • IPC-HDW5541TMP-AS-PV ActiveDeterance 5MP AI Camera
  • IPC-HDW4631EMP-0280 6MP IR IP camera
  • IPC-HDW4831EMP-ASE 4mm 8MP IR IP camera

Eight cameras were tested one by one, with some road lamps under this condition. When a camera was tested, the IR or LED lights of the other cameras were covered by black tapes in order to eliminate the influence. Exposure setting is 1/50 and all cameras are color mode forced.

a.jpg
b.jpg

The Comparsion Video: !!!!!!!!

Conclusion:

1. 2431 is the most cost-effective camera in terms of night vision. If you want your camera has some AI functions, like SMD or Smart IVS, new 3 series lite AI camera is also a good option.
  2. 2831 is more likely to stay IR mode than color mode in a lowlight environment at night.(same envirnment, 2831 is BW and 2431 is color). However If you force 2831 to color mode, serious motion blur will be produced.
  3. 3441 is the leader in the second echelon (3441, 2431, 2831 and 5541). Small motion blur and picture noise and has more AI function than 2431.
  4. 5441-pv seems to has a poor performance in terms of night vision. Although it has a pretty big CMOS sensor (1/2.7” ), there are still plenty picture noise and motion blur. The light sopt of this camera is two-way talk and audio and light warming function.
  5. 5442-LED and 5442 are the top two night vision cameras, while 5442-LED is better in a complete dark environment owing to its extra LED lamp. Therefore, if you want get the color image in a very dark condition, 5442-led fullcolor camera is a only choice. If the environment has some light, number plate is very hard to be recognized by 5442-led, due to the strong reflection, but It is worth noting that 5542 do make other objects (like human face or clothes) clearer.
  6. As the old generation, 4631 and 4831 are at the bottom.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where can I buy the 5442-LED in the US?
@EMPIRETECANDY sells the international OEM version on Amazon under his Loryta brand. You can also PM him on the forum here and he can send you an invoice you can use PayPal to pay with. He also often has ways of getting stuff to you even if the Amazon store is sold out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a much better comparison than the still images - it now shows up some big differences between the models.
And demonstrates a clear leader.

By the way - on the assumption that the cameras were all set to default values, apart from the 1/50 exposure - almost all the videos would benefit from a reduction in the DNR value. The trails it generates on movement remove quite a lot of needed detail.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
great review,Thanks!

@john-ipvm they have a great review, guys if interest on this Thermal Body Temperature system , can watch here. They cost a lot of money and time on this review, so it's not free.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,
Great review.... ;)

Can You put screen shots how the each submenu of Event menu on web configuration page looks on 2431, 3441 and 5442 AI series?
What AI options can be setup on these cams and what AI functionality can be activated there?