Nighthawk ACS3200 (C7800) VPN Setup

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First, a solid thank you to all the people who have posted so much helpful information. I ended up purchasing three POE Dahua cameras from Andy and couldn't be more satisfied with their performance. I am enjoying the Blue Iris software and I have the app setup on iOS for inside the house. However, for outside of my network I would like to set up a VPN. I purchased a new router/modem to replace my comcast rental last year - the Nighthawk X4S AC3200 (C7800). Given the price point I was surprised to find out my Advanced Setup tab doesn't have a VPN setting like most of the Netgear instructions for similarly priced models. After reading the VPN newbie guide, I assume I need to install something like Tomato in order to run OpenVPN (or something similar to that).

My question is are there guides for my particular router? I have searched and can't find anything specifically for my router and I feel as though installing something like Tomato may be particular to my router vs model neutral. Any help would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not so sure you can load other firmware like tomato onto a modem / router combo like that. Separate devices is usually the better choice.

Reaction score
Does that increase cpu usage?

Depending on difficulty level. I think I’d rather do what’s easiest honestly. Is there a router that would be ideal for this scenario? I wouldn’t be using it for anything other than the VPN if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the help.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use a separate modem that your ISP approves for their firmware (ask them for list, or look online), and use an Asus router such as RT-AC1900. The Asus router makes it very easy to setup OpenVPN, along with securing all the clients on your network, not to mention nice GUI.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a separate modem that your ISP approves for their firmware (ask them for list, or look online), and use an Asus router such as RT-AC1900. The Asus router makes it very easy to setup OpenVPN, along with securing all the clients on your network, not to mention nice GUI.
I agree. I haven't used Asus's OpenVPN server but it does look like one of the easiest ways ever devised to set up and use OpenVPN.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that handinpalm!

Would the Asus router work behind my current modem?
First check and see if the netgear can be set to bridge mode (there are other workarounds if not)..this disables the routing functions of the netgear and makes it act as a modem alone...then use the asus as your primary router..
It should be found here.
  1. Click ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Bridge.
    The Wireless Bridge page displays.
  2. Select the Enable Bridge Mode checkbox.
  3. Click the Setup Bridge Mode Wireless Settings button.

Not sure how much you want to spend but this is a relatively new model with a powerful processor and great range.
ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit Gaming RT-AC86U

Reaction score
Thanks for the above posts I am going to look into getting a new router and check on the Bridge Mode this weekend. I will check back in and try and convince the wife we must have the AC86U ha

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the ASUSRT-AC68U and it's VPN is very easy to set up. and performs very well.
Yes easy setup for VPN when its working, This model is having serious stability issues right now, I'm on my second router right now and throwing through the window is looking pretty good at this point, This has been by far the worst router I have been using as far as stability. If they cannot give me answers about drops, disconnects and hesitations, I will be sending the second one back. I'm not the only one either, go read the reviews.

Reaction score
Just to clarify, you’re referring to the RT-AC68U not the RC-AC86U correct?

Edit: I meant RT for both sorry for the mis-type

Last edited: