Nightowl DVR fan

SCSOCO

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a nightowl 8 channel 4 camera 1080p camera system from Costco in August. The system works great, but about a month after the fan started getting really loud, it will get quiet and louder on its own, and if I tap the top of the case it gets real quiet for a bit. I was wondering if anyone has replaced this specific DVRs fan and if it's a typical 40mm fan, I've heard great stories about the Nashua from Amazon. I would love to see a pic of the inside of the unit before I void the warranty. I've heard nightmare stories about ppl sending theirs back and getting s replacement that has the same issue and more so I would rather keep my unit. Any help would be great. The dvr model is AHD10b-81-rs. The entire system model is c-841-a10

SCSOCO

n3wb
Reaction score
So I decided just to open the dvr up and take my chances. This model has a 40x40x10mm 12 volt fan, some cheap brand, the good thing is it's mounted through the stock screws in the fan to the heat sink. I ordered a noctua (not Nashua lol) replacement from Amazon that won't be here till Thursday. I will post pics of the inside of the DVR and how the install goes afterward.for now I peeled the sticker off the back of the fan and sprayed son lube, stopped it from sounding like a chainsaw for now, just needs to last till friday.

rgarjr

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently replaced a noisy fan in my Poe switch with a Noctua one, nice fans.

Make sure that lube you sprayed doesn't get all over the place. :p

SCSOCO

n3wb
Reaction score
New fan is great moves a decent amount more air than the original, had to engineer the screws to secure it but other than that it's great. I made sure I sealed up the spot where I oiled it very well to avoid it leaking.

Reaction score
I purchased a nightowl 8 channel 4 camera 1080p camera system from Costco in August. The system works great, but about a month after the fan started getting really loud, it will get quiet and louder on its own, and if I tap the top of the case it gets real quiet for a bit. I was wondering if anyone has replaced this specific DVRs fan and if it's a typical 40mm fan, I've heard great stories about the Nashua from Amazon. I would love to see a pic of the inside of the unit before I void the warranty. I've heard nightmare stories about ppl sending theirs back and getting s replacement that has the same issue and more so I would rather keep my unit. Any help would be great. The dvr model is AHD10b-81-rs. The entire system model is c-841-a10

I bought the same system from Costco in January (6th) of this year. My DVR started doing the same thing last Saturday (5th). I called Costco's concierge service and they said that they would send Night Owl a verification of purchase and I should received an email from Night Owl in about 48 hours with instructions on what to do next. I do believe my fans is the problem and if it is not replaced soon it would lock up and cause other problems to my DVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the same system from Costco in January (6th) of this year. My DVR started doing the same thing last Saturday (5th). I called Costco's concierge service and they said that they would send Night Owl a verification of purchase and I should received an email from Night Owl in about 48 hours with instructions on what to do next. I do believe my fans is the problem and if it is not replaced soon it would lock up and cause other problems to my DVR.
remember that worst case you can always return the unit to costco anytime and get a full refund.