No clue about security camera's and what have you

pjdevries

n3wb
Reaction score
I always have good luck with Netgears Pro Safe line.
I have had good experience with Netgear in the past as well. I will start with a Netgear GS308PP.

@samplenhold Thanx for pitching in.

Planning is on its way. As soon as the camera is in, we will start testing and experimenting.

As you can see I'm from the Netherlands. In my opening post, I mentioned our houses are on a dyke. That was not a joke, but the real deal. I see you are from Texas and probably have a lot more space to cover. That, in combination with the description of your setup, leads me to believe we have quite different requirements :D The areas we want/need to monitor are relatively small and close to each other and "front, sides and back" covers it quite well. Apart from that, burglary is not our main concern. Other kinds of disturbance, vandalism and unwanted visitors are.

It's clear English is not my native language. While thinking "clearly recognizable" describes what I mean, maybe "clearly identifiable" would be more accurate. And like I mentioned earlier, preferably both during daylight and at night. Every now and then I get a glimpse of a police program on national television. The bad quality of most surveillance footage amazes me. Most of the time it looks completely unusable. That's something I want to prevent. Some area's already benefit from street lights. Others can probably be lighted at night by motion activated lighting. So my guess is that any camera that performs well during daylight and also reasonably well at night, will perform quite sufficient in our situation. But then again, I have no experience whatsoever :p

As always, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So I may well get completely new insights as soon as we start playing with the test camera. And if I run into trouble or have more questions, I will definitely reach out to you guys again. Obviously I will also let you know what I eventually settle for,

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras, like your eyes, have to adjust when the lighting changes. That can take a few seconds which are often critical. Motion activated lights may not work out well for that reason. Perhaps a few, low powered, LED floodlights would be a better solution than motion activated floodlights. Experience, on this side of the pond, has been that motion activated lights are not a deterrent, at all, to miscreants whether they are simply trespassing or attempting to steal something. If anything, they just provide some additional, unexpected, light for them to do their "business".

Reaction score
I have had good experience with Netgear in the past as well. I will start with a Netgear GS308PP.
That is a good switch. I use one for the cams at the front and LPR.

Yes, all installations are different and require their own plan. Your plan will evolve over time as you get experience with the cams. Good luck.
As you can see I'm from the Netherlands. In my opening post, I mentioned our houses are on a dyke. That was not a joke, but the real deal.
Like this?
P7150218.JPG

pjdevries

n3wb
Reaction score
Cameras, like your eyes, have to adjust when the lighting changes. That can take a few seconds which are often critical. Motion activated lights may not work out well for that reason. Perhaps a few, low powered, LED floodlights would be a better solution than motion activated floodlights.
Didn't realize that. I considered motion activated, because the area's I'm thinking of only need light at night if trespassers are detected. It feels like a waste of energy, no matter how little. Also, the idea that my house looks like a windows display all night, does not appeal to me. I'll ponder some more on that :)

Similar but different. Our houses are actually partially in the dyke. The top shows above the dyke, while bottom half is below the dyke and partially in the dyke. Also our dyke is what they call a compartment dyke. It's not parallel along the river but is perpendicular to it. It is meant to prevent complete flooding in the event there is a partial dyke breach somewhere. I'll send you a photograph some time. Seems not a good idea to do that now, while the camera's are not in place yet :lol:

WilliamJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m in a similar situation, just getting starting in my research for a first time POE outdoor setup with 6 cameras for my home. The more I read, the more I get analysis paralysis and feel like I’m way out of my league here. Hopefully some of you have been in my shoes at some point and will be able to offer guidance. My goal is to have cameras around the outside of my home, for cameras with LED- LEDs turn on with motion (I’m worried about bothering neighbors if LEDs are on all night), color at night, audio, easy to access motion clips of humans on mobile devices. I’m going to pay someone to install since I cannot get around in the attic due to mobile limitation and I may pay for the setup also as I’m not computer savvy. I do not own a computer currently, just 2 TVs and iPads/iPhones. With a budget of $3k, what equipment would you purchase?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m in a similar situation, just getting starting in my research for a first time POE outdoor setup with 6 cameras for my home. The more I read, the more I get analysis paralysis and feel like I’m way out of my league here. Hopefully some of you have been in my shoes at some point and will be able to offer guidance. My goal is to have cameras around the outside of my home, for cameras with LED- LEDs turn on with motion (I’m worried about bothering neighbors if LEDs are on all night), color at night, audio, easy to access motion clips of humans on mobile devices. I’m going to pay someone to install since I cannot get around in the attic due to mobile limitation and I may pay for the setup also as I’m not computer savvy. I do not own a computer currently, just 2 TVs and iPads/iPhones. With a budget of $3k, what equipment would you purchase?
My suggestion is to create a new topic, and there are a lot of folks that will help with your specif setup.
Everyone's setup is different. There is a ton of stuff for you to read and learn what information to give.
Read this on a real computer

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
Welcome @WilliamJ

Recommendation: Buy one good varifocal IP PoE camera and power source ( I like a small PoE switch ) and test it. Look for a 4MP Dahua OEM varifocal model with a 1/1.8" sensor. Take some time to learn what it can and can not do. This will help you better decide what to get with your budget.

WilliamJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips all. Been reading quite a bit here. Does anyone know if the t5442-as-led will have future capabilities of turning on LEDs with motion?