No emails from camera after 5.4.0 upgrade. Works partially from NVR (not Gmail)

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Emails notifications stopped working from my cameras, after upgrading to 5.4.0.
It sort of still works from the NVR, except that the 3 attached images are all blank (.jpg files are there), so cannot determine if it is a false alarm (=useless).
Testing email from camera fails, and I have tried to play with both authentications etc.
Same email settings on camera and NVR.

Anyone out there with a solution to these problems (email or blank images)?

Hikvision DS-7616NI-V
Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I (2.8mm)
Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I (4mm)

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, as mentioned in the subject I am not using Gmail. Also, I have tried the various security options without luck.
Hi, I have the same cameras as you list (both of them) - they have this problem with sending email and also connecting to use NTP time. It worked with the 5.3 firmware, but upgrade to 5.4 in order to get the TLS update for sending email through gmail they no longer work.
I have exhausted all efforts and am convinced it is a firmware issue...... because it works on my other two cameras as per below.

I have some older 2CD2332 outdoor cams and they have upgraded to 5.4 and 'still' send email and use ntp time correctly ( and I do use gmail and tls settings in that new firmware).

So this 'may' be why it's quite hard to find this firmware on the global hikvision site anymore. Wondering if it will be replaced in the future with a working one or something like that?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have exhausted all efforts and am convinced it is a firmware issue
The symptoms are consistent with DNS not operating properly.
What NTP server are you using? time.windows.com is usually a good enough choice.
If you haven't tried it already - for mysterious reasons, Hikvision IP cameras seem to work better using the Google 8.8.8.8 DNS, as opposed to your LAN router.
So this 'may' be why it's quite hard to find this firmware on the global hikvision site anymore.
5.4.0 firmware :
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Front-ends/01--IPC/R0 platform(2xx2)/
http://www.hikvision.com/us/download_89.html

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. It does seem like dns. However it is specific to these cameras and the 5.4 firmware. It's not just ntp it's also emails. The exact same settings work on 5.4 firmware on the older non wifi cameras I have.

I have tried the NTP you mention and also lots of variations of the pool.ntp.org servers - again which work fine on the older camera with the 5.4 firmware.

I wondered if it was maybe something to do with these cameras being wifi and Ethernet and not having the wifi enabled - but tried entering DNS in the wifi settings as well. It does seem like DNS though as it's something which takes a while to time out rather than an immediate failure.

But dns server I have tried the 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 and 4.2.2.2.
Will try resolving ntp server to IP myself tomorrow and then enter the IP directly - this should prove DNS issue or not. - but again it's only 5.4 firmware on these cameras mentioned and not on the older ones I have.

Theres mention of a 5.4.1 firmware for r6 cameras - but can't find this anywhere trustworthy yet.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
does anyone know if the new 5.4 will work with 2332 and 2532? these were not on the release notes list but everything else was and i'm a bit concerned about updating.

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
does anyone know if the new 5.4 will work with 2332 .
Yes - it works on my two DS-2CD2332-I - as per my post above - even ntp and email work which are failing on the cameras we are discussing.( maybe DNS issue).
Obviously get the correct rX file - can't remember off the top of my head which one it was for the 2xx2.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is only one for the 2xx2 but wondering why they don't have a listing of these models on their release sheet

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
"Will try resolving ntp server to IP myself tomorrow and then enter the IP directly - this should prove DNS issue or not."

So - entered one of the ip addresses returned from the uk.pool.ntp.org lookup - still same issue:
So either it is still trying to DNS lookup the IP entered and fails ( not sure how their code is written). Or it's not DNS and something more - maybe not abiding by the default gateway? Or some other tcp/IP error due to having two NICs and some kind of config mistake in the 5.4 firmware on these cameras?
Any additional thoughts?

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Further to this - it all works fine if I set the camera to dhcp on the lan Ethernet connection in the 5.4 firmware and reboot.

Even if I set to static and keep all the other discovered gateway and DNS the same and only change the IP address it all stops working again. Even if I choose the same dhcp IP!

So for some reason in its current state the 5.4 firmware on the two internal ptz wifi cameras will not function correctly for email and ntp while a static IP is set.
Bit of a pain.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a bit odd.
If you haven't already done so - setting the camera MAC address as a DHCP reservation in your router will keep the IP address known and fixed, and the problem worked around.

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that's a bit odd.
If you haven't already done so - setting the camera MAC address as a DHCP reservation in your router will keep the IP address known and fixed, and the problem worked around.
Thanks. Yes good idea and will get it a fixed IP for the one I have at home. However for the office, the cameras are in a sequential static block with the dhcp reserved for the employee laptops and no permenant bind just long term lease.
I am sure i can work around it - just odd that static IP doesn't work with these correctly - but does on different cameras with the 5.4 firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juszkin

n3wb
Reaction score
"Will try resolving ntp server to IP myself tomorrow and then enter the IP directly - this should prove DNS issue or not."

So - entered one of the ip addresses returned from the uk.pool.ntp.org lookup - still same issue:
So either it is still trying to DNS lookup the IP entered and fails ( not sure how their code is written). Or it's not DNS and something more - maybe not abiding by the default gateway? Or some other tcp/IP error due to having two NICs and some kind of config mistake in the 5.4 firmware on these cameras?
Any additional thoughts?
Hi,

I have DS-2CD2042WD-I with FW 5.4.0/ I struggled to make it working but finally got it to work when SMTP address configured with SMTP server IP, i got into that conclusion after going through Wireshark logs. I contacted Hikvision and was told that R&D guys will look at it and provide the fix in the next release assuming they can recreate it.

However, email notifications stopped working after a few days even though Email test function from camera website works fine + can not get images into FTP even though FTP test function works fine. .... i lost the faith in the hikvision product and FW 5.4.0 ... i wish i have gone for an integrated solution like SWAN etc.

I'd suggest you to mirror the port on the switch the camera is connected, run a Wireshark and analyse the log.

Best regards,
Michal