NO MORE SUPPORT!!!

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been trying to get in touch with support for 10 days and no response. I have emailed support 4 times!! I need my license reactivated as I uninstalled BI4 and when installing it again it says I have to many licenses and that I need to purchase it again.

I have been with Blue Iris from the start and have purchased every version. I just purchased the extended support option as well. 10 days of no response from support is unacceptable. What do I do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get in touch with support for 10 days and no response. I have emailed support 4 times!! I need my license reactivated as I uninstalled BI4 and when installing it again it says I have to many licenses and that I need to purchase it again.

I have been with Blue Iris from the start and have purchased every version. I just purchased the extended support option as well. 10 days of no response from support is unacceptable. What do I do?
He is probably backed up as BI5 is coming in about a week. He usually responds in 5-6 days. When you uninstall BI, make sure to deactivate it first.
The quickest way to resolve this is to buy another license.
If this is unacceptable as you state, there are many other VMS solutions to choose from.

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
Buying another license is not a solution and is unacceptable. I have bought every version and support license from him. Like previously stated, I just bought the extended support 2 weeks ago. I understand a little backup, but 10 days is not acceptable.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...not to start a fight here but...Forcing someone to buy a license for something he has already paid for just to get up and running when it would probably take BI all of 5 minutes to reset his activation is what I would call crappy customer service. Also, why not provide the end user a way to reset their license via a website? Plenty of other companies that have activation schemes provide ways for 'self-service' to reset lost activations. I would be ticked off too if I was in his shoes, especially given that he also paid for the extended support, for which it does not sound like he is getting value for his money. No doubt, BI is a fantastic product and nothing out there in this price range even comes close to it, but you have to be able to support your customers when they are not able to use the software that they have paid for. I could understand if the issue was something that was going to require a lot of time/research, but a simple license reactivation should not take much time at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Buying another license is not a solution and is unacceptable. I have bought every version and support license from him. Like previously stated, I just bought the extended support 2 weeks ago. I understand a little backup, but 10 days is not acceptable.
You are right, totally unacceptable. Buy another vms. Let us know what it is so that others can see the great options available for 50bux or better yet free. No one should have to tolerate BI's lack of response to you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
...not to start a fight here but...Forcing someone to buy a license for something he has already paid for just to get up and running when it would probably take BI all of 5 minutes to reset his activation is what I would call crappy customer service. Also, why not provide the end user a way to reset their license via a website? Plenty of other companies that have activation schemes provide ways for 'self-service' to reset lost activations. I would be ticked off too if I was in his shoes, especially given that he also paid for the extended support, for which it does not sound like he is getting value for his money. No doubt, BI is a fantastic product and nothing out there in this price range even comes close to it, but you have to be able to support your customers when they are not able to use the software that they have paid for. I could understand if the issue was something that was going to require a lot of time/research, but a simple license reactivation should not take much time at all.
Generally, the lack of response is due to the user not sending an email with the proper info or going to a spam folder. Regardless, there are MANY other vms options of you dont like blue iris. I have over 20 blue iris systems and none have magically lost their key.
He would have to read the emails before he knew what the issue was and that would mess up the queue.
There is no reason why you need to stick with it. Most other vms not only charge an astronomical per camera license fee but a yearly support fee that well exceeds the cost of buying a new blue iris license every year. There are literally lists of the other available options including many free alternatives. He can ask for a charge back from his credit card company.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think the issue is that he (or I) do not like BI, quite the contrary, it is a fantastic system and as I said previously, nothing in this price range comes close to it. The OP did not say BI magically lost his key. It sounds like he did not deactivate before wiping his system and reinstalling. I did not get the impression he was blaming BI for losing his key. He is simply stating that he has a problem that could be resolved quickly, has paid for support, has a current license, and is just wanting to get it reactivated so he can use what he has paid for. I also don't think he is being unreasonable to expect BI to reset his license in a timely manner. More than two days for something that quick and simple is not reasonable especially since he paid for support. Ten days is ridiculous. I understand he is probably underwater working on BI5, but come on, I'm sure there is 5 or 10 minutes in there somewhere over the course of 10 days that he could find to get this guy back up and running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the issue is that he (or I) do not like BI, quite the contrary, it is a fantastic system and as I said previously, nothing in this price range comes close to it. The OP did not say BI magically lost his key. It sounds like he did not deactivate before wiping his system and reinstalling. I did not get the impression he was blaming BI for losing his key. He is simply stating that he has a problem that could be resolved quickly, has paid for support, has a current license, and is just wanting to get it reactivated so he can use what he has paid for. I also don't think he is being unreasonable to expect BI to reset his license in a timely manner. More than two days for something that quick and simple is not reasonable especially since he paid for support. Ten days is ridiculous. I understand he is probably underwater working on BI5, but come on, I'm sure there is 5 or 10 minutes in there somewhere over the course of 10 days that he could find to get this guy back up and running.
I understand, he has a problem that he cant resolve. He only option now is to look elsewhere for software with better support. I didnt say that a wanting the key reset in 10 days or less is unreasonable. It is. But its not going to happen obviously.
Assuming that BI got the email (often times folks send emails from junk accounts that go to spam) he has 500 other emails to review. He has no way of knowing that this specific email is about a license reset. So he has no alternative other than buying a new license or moving to a product with better support.

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally, the lack of response is due to the user not sending an email with the proper info or going to a spam folder. Regardless, there are MANY other vms options of you dont like blue iris. I have over 20 blue iris systems and none have magically lost their key.
He would have to read the emails before he knew what the issue was and that would mess up the queue.
There is no reason why you need to stick with it. Most other vms not only charge an astronomical per camera license fee but a yearly support fee that well exceeds the cost of buying a new blue iris license every year. There are literally lists of the other available options including many free alternatives. He can ask for a charge back from his credit card company.
I really don't understand your point. I purchased a product and extended support which i'm clearly not getting. Just because his product is cheaper then other VMS systems, it doesn't mean I shouldn't get the product that I paid for multiple times. I don't think anybody is arguing that he puts out a good product for the money, however he needs to do a better job at getting back to the paying customer. In past years I have contacted support and never received a response. When I bought version 1, he was quick to reply to my questions. It is not ok to tell somebody to use another VMS just because I don't like their lack of support. That statement is ridiculous and I expect support in a timely manner, especially when I am paying for a support plan!!

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman,

I am also puzzled as to why you are being so defensive with your responses. I don't think anything the OP or myself said would be considered inflammatory or provocative against you or the BI staff. As a matter of fact, the OP asked "What do I do?", he was asking for help/advice, probably not really looking for being told to just use another VMS if he didn't like the response time. I guess I wonder why you even wasted your time replying if just to say "go find another VMS". I would expect a response such as yours to come from someone that had a "vested" interest in BI as it seems to have an emotional component to it that would only surface if you felt like you had been personally insulted or attacked. Assuming that you are an "unvested" third-party, one has to wonder why you would respond in such an aggressive and emotional manner.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't understand your point. I purchased a product and extended support which i'm clearly not getting. Just because his product is cheaper then other VMS systems, it doesn't mean I shouldn't get the product that I paid for multiple times. I don't think anybody is arguing that he puts out a good product for the money, however he needs to do a better job at getting back to the paying customer. In past years I have contacted support and never received a response. When I bought version 1, he was quick to reply to my questions. It is not ok to tell somebody to use another VMS just because I don't like their lack of support. That statement is ridiculous and I expect support in a timely manner, especially when I am paying for a support plan!!
My point is you are right. So you have NO CHOICE but to move to a different product. You said yourself that its unacceptable. Is it acceptable or not? make up your mind. If it is NOT acceptable, you must move to another vms. Otherwise it is obviously acceptable.
The fact that you never received a response for any of your support inquiries tells me that you
a) are not including the license and version data as need (see about tab).
b) are using an email address flagged as spam (use gmail).
c) did not have a valid support license when you emailed the other times.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman,

I am also puzzled as to why you are being so defensive with your responses. I don't think anything the OP or myself said would be considered inflammatory or provocative against you or the BI staff. As a matter of fact, the OP asked "What do I do?", he was asking for help/advice, probably not really looking for being told to just use another VMS if he didn't like the response time. I guess I wonder why you even wasted your time replying if just to say "go find another VMS". I would expect a response such as yours to come from someone that had a "vested" interest in BI as it seems to have an emotional component to it that would only surface if you felt like you had been personally insulted or attacked. Assuming that you are an "unvested" third-party, one has to wonder why you would respond in such an aggressive and emotional manner.
I think you confuse defensive with puzzled as to why someone would call something unacceptable then be willing to wait making it acceptable. I hate professional bitchers and moaners. I have no vested interest in BI, as you can see by my response. You obviously dont think, If I cared I would be nice to this guy. I dont. I could not care less if you also stopped using blue iris. We have setup multiple subforums for OTHER vms software. Use your brain, or try.

Last edited:

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you confuse defensive with puzzled as to why someone would call something unacceptable then be willing to wait making it acceptable. I hate professional bitchers and moaners. I have no vested interest in BI, as you can see by my response. You obviously dont think, If I cared I would be nice to this guy. I dont. I could not care less you also stopped using blue iris. We have setup multiple subforums for OTHER vms software. Use your brain, or try.
Obviously you are not a nice guy and don't care as your comments suggest above. I was looking for help on how to fix the problem and not advise on what my next VMS should be. If you didn't have a fix to my problem, then you shouldn't of replied.

If you bought a car and the dealership refused to fix an item under warranty, would you just throw away the car and buy another?!? Exactly!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously you are not a nice guy and don't care as your comments suggest above. I was looking for help on how to fix the problem and not advise on what my next VMS should be. If you didn't have a fix to my problem, then you shouldn't of replied.

If you bought a car and the dealership refused to fix an item under warranty, would you just throw away the car and buy another?!? Exactly!!!
Really, what kind of help were you expecting? Someone here to be able to magically reset your key?
I would certainly go buy another car as I need transportation. I would then take up the issue with the dealer manufacturer.
It is clear that you will still be using blue iris and that a 10+ day wait is by definition acceptable to you. Thought so. Perhaps take my advice and send a proper email from a good email address.

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting how I just got an email after 10 days. He reset it and it now works again. It's not worth it to keep arguing this......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting how I just got an email after 10 days. He reset it and it now works again. It's not worth it to keep arguing this......
I can assure you that it is not a result of this post. No one from blue iris reads this forum. One thing is for certain. 10 days is acceptable for you.