No recordings after 20191231?

Great

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As topic say, i noticed that i have no recording after 2019/12/31 and when i check in the setting i i see that my harddrive is totaly full, even says -30gb.

So when i go to settings to look at Clips an archiving, it is like i always had it, men i cannot even click on another tab and i get the message "folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another" .

i googled it and looked on som people that has the same, but even do i change the New path to c:/blueiris/db it will still not work.

Anyone has a god solution.

i also deleted all clips in the new folder and now it starts to record again, but i understand that this will happen again?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You have to set the option to delete clips older than X days and/or set the size limit for the folder. That way it deletes old clips to make room for new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run the BI program on my C: drive SSD, but the video and alert clips go on D: drive which is a 4tb hard drive. This may be superfluous but three or four times a year I shut the BI machine down and reformat the D: drive and restart with a clean disk just to keep things from stacking up or becoming corrupt. But I only keep 5 days of recordings at my house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As topic say, i noticed that i have no recording after 2019/12/31 and when i check in the setting i i see that my harddrive is totaly full, even says -30gb.

So when i go to settings to look at Clips an archiving, it is like i always had it, men i cannot even click on another tab and i get the message "folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another" .

i googled it and looked on som people that has the same, but even do i change the New path to c:/blueiris/db it will still not work.

Anyone has a god solution.

i also deleted all clips in the new folder and now it starts to record again, but i understand that this will happen again?
you have over allocated your storage and therefore see a negative number.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have had this happen to...and oddly on Jan 1st also. It seems maybe once a year my drives fill up and BI stops recording clips (obviously drives are full). I'm running the same setup with some buffer on all my drives. I don't set the limits right at the max. I generally have to go in and delete a bunch of clips, do a DB repair and wait. Once I had to delete everything on the drive to get it to stop filling the drive. So I know the settings were OK as it's been working fine moving and deleting clips. I just had to do this again and came over here to see if anyone else saw this problem. Just curious as to what might be happening. Assumed that somehow the maintenance was unable to move/delete files and then gets out of whack. Anyone else?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Possibly related.. I've been having occasional issues where the nightly database compact/repair "could not obtain exclusive DB access". End up doing a database repair/regenerate and it fixes it. It's almost as if the permissions get screwed up or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbahlman

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you repair the DB? several of my cameras just stopped recording after 1/1. I can't get them to restart even when set to continuous.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you repair the DB? several of my cameras just stopped recording after 1/1. I can't get them to restart even when set to continuous.
the date is irrelevant. The op's and your issue is not related to the date. Its just a coincidence that the drive filled on that date and he improperly overallocated storage.
You must first fix any overallocation the restart blue iris. If that doesnt help, close BI delete the database folder and restart.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have had this happen to...and oddly on Jan 1st also. It seems maybe once a year my drives fill up and BI stops recording clips (obviously drives are full). I'm running the same setup with some buffer on all my drives. I don't set the limits right at the max. I generally have to go in and delete a bunch of clips, do a DB repair and wait. Once I had to delete everything on the drive to get it to stop filling the drive. So I know the settings were OK as it's been working fine moving and deleting clips. I just had to do this again and came over here to see if anyone else saw this problem. Just curious as to what might be happening. Assumed that somehow the maintenance was unable to move/delete files and then gets out of whack. Anyone else?
you have an over allocation error. You need to fix that first.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I run the BI program on my C: drive SSD, but the video and alert clips go on D: drive which is a 4tb hard drive. This may be superfluous but three or four times a year I shut the BI machine down and reformat the D: drive and restart with a clean disk just to keep things from stacking up or becoming corrupt. But I only keep 5 days of recordings at my house.
there is no need for this.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you have an over allocation error. You need to fix that first.
Do you know how that happens? Meaning it's been running great for months...then all of a sudden it gets that error.

Then when it does over allocate. what's the best way to fix it. Do I just need to delete enough clips from the over allocated drive to get it under the proper allocation and then run the DB repair? Or is just deleting the database folder and restarting the best way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know how that happens? Meaning it's been running great for months...then all of a sudden it gets that error.

Then when it does over allocate. what's the best way to fix it. Do I just need to delete enough clips from the over allocated drive to get it under the proper allocation and then run the DB repair? Or is just deleting the database folder and restarting the best way?
The over allocation is you setting more storage than you have. You will see a negative number in red. The fix is to set proper storage parameters.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The over allocation is you setting more storage than you have. You will see a negative number in red. The fix is to set proper storage parameters.
Nope, sure didn't...the settings haven't changed in months. The fix is a bug in BI.

This system has been working with these drives for a few years now. The cycling of videos from my "new" drive (SSD drive) 500G 465 formatted and I allocate 420G to BI. The ONLY thing on that drive is a NEW folder that BI uses. Then I have a spinning disc drive "STORAGE" it's 8TB 7.27formatted and I allocate 7.17T to BI - again dedicated drive to BI. Then I move to "archive" which is a multiple drive NAS 12TB. The drive that ends up having the problem is the NEW drive. When the problems happen BI uses MORE than the 420g that I allocated to BI on the "new" drive. Then it stops recording new clips to the "new" drive. For some reason it doesn't cycle the files as it has for months. First I run the DB maintenance. Usually doesn't fix things or trigger a clip cleanup. Then I go into the NEW drive and delete a bunch of the oldest clips to get it well under the allocation. Once there I rerun DB cleanup and reboot. That usually fixes it. Again it only happens maybe once or twice a year. This is probably the 4th time I've had to do this. I'm just wondering if there isn't a bug in the cleanup routine that moves clips from one storage to another.

The DB is on the C: drive which is a SSD also.

Capture.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, sure didn't...the settings haven't changed in months. The fix is a bug in BI.

This system has been working with these drives for a few years now. The cycling of videos from my "new" drive (SSD drive) 500G 465 formatted and I allocate 420G to BI. The ONLY thing on that drive is a NEW folder that BI uses. Then I have a spinning disc drive "STORAGE" it's 8TB 7.27formatted and I allocate 7.17T to BI - again dedicated drive to BI. Then I move to "archive" which is a multiple drive NAS 12TB. The drive that ends up having the problem is the NEW drive. When the problems happen BI uses MORE than the 420g that I allocated to BI on the "new" drive. Then it stops recording new clips to the "new" drive. For some reason it doesn't cycle the files as it has for months. First I run the DB maintenance. Usually doesn't fix things or trigger a clip cleanup. Then I go into the NEW drive and delete a bunch of the oldest clips to get it well under the allocation. Once there I rerun DB cleanup and reboot. That usually fixes it. Again it only happens maybe once or twice a year. This is probably the 4th time I've had to do this. I'm just wondering if there isn't a bug in the cleanup routine that moves clips from one storage to another.

View attachment 53437
If it was a bug everyone would have it. The op confirmed an over allocation. You need to leave enough free space for you max Recording file size X each cam.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 53437
I've not had this problem in almost 3 years of running BI.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The op confirmed an over allocation.
I just showed you my allocation...it wasn't over allocated. I don't know what happens. All I know is that I do have to manually delete files to get it back up and running again. And it isn't consistent. Possibly a write error? Move error? Permissions error? I don't know. But it is NOT over allocation.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just showed you my allocation...it wasn't over allocated. I don't know what happens. All I know is that I do have to manually delete files to get it back up and running again. And it isn't consistent. Possibly a write error? Move error? Permissions error? I don't know. But it is NOT over allocation.
You should have at a minimum of 10% free/not allocated, you dont have that much free on your D: drive, you should have more like 46g not allocated instead of 29g.

Last edited:

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should have at a minimum of 10% free, you dont have that much free on your D: drive, you should have more like 46g not allocated instead of 29g.
I was going by the BI manual which states "A drive should always be configured with enough headroom for a complete clip from each camera that’s recording to that drive" which in my case is 25G (for all cameras). By all means I can up that a bit.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was going by the BI manual which states "A drive should always be configured with enough headroom for a complete clip from each camera that’s recording to that drive" which in my case is 25G (for all cameras). By all means I can up that a bit.
"Plus windows temp files"