no signal I/O error:0 Hikvision cameras

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 10 camera set up with a variety of cameras including 2 from Hikvision, a DS-2CD2443G0-IW cube and a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS dome which both seem to suffer from regular no signal I/O error:0 Problems.

About a week ago the dome was showing no signal I/O error:0 and the cube was working, then after a bout of tinkering it switched to the other way round with the cube no signal I/O error:0 and the dome working.

Sometimes if i leave the no signal camera overnight it will have fixed itself by the morning but not this time. Anyway today I have spent several hours trying every possible setting on the no signal cube. Nothing made any difference until i noticed a Blue Iris update was available. I did the update which involved a new start of the program and when it booted up, the cube was working ... but now the dome is showing no signal I/O error:0
Both Cameras now have a buffer setting of 20mb in Camera video settings

It can't be anything wrong wit the cameras, wiring or settings because non of those things were changed in the 2 minutes it took to update and restart Blue Iris. it must be a Blue Iris Software issue or an incompatibility of the Hikvision Cameras.

My other cameras, mainly Foscam, are fine and totally stable.

Any suggestions or should I just wait for a Blue Iris update ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pull both cameras down and place on a short premade (store bought) cables connected to the switch and test the cameras. Make sure the connectors are clean.
Are you using wifi or a cable for both cameras ?
Are you using a POE switch to power the cameras or are you using a power supply ?

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Both are using separate power supplies. One is connected through a power line adapter, the other is connected via a basic network hub which does not have a POE facility.

Before I did the Blue Iris update, I also had both cameras open with Hikvisions own browser interface. Using that the cube was showing but the dome did not show ,just a missing image icon, although it seemed to connect Ok because I could read all the settings. The Hikvision software said I needed to install a plug in but that did not seem to work. The cube has the latest firmware, the dome an older version. At the time, it was the reverse of what I was seeing on Blue Iris. Since the update, the hikvsison software is now the same as BI , ie the cube shows and the done is no signal.

NB since the BI update, the double click to full screen is only working intermittently. i guess I will have to try a PC restart

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision cube, that uses Ethernet wire to a POE switch, Using BI version 5.2.0.4. Browser accesse to the cameras works for the video.
I have never had long term success with a power line adapter for network connections, it drops connections all the time.

1) What web browser are you using ?
2) what verison of BI are you using ?
3) make and model of the power line adapter.
4) does the camera network traffic pass thru the router on the way to the BI PC ?

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a wide selection of Browsers but mainly using chrome. No difference observed in other browsers.

2) what Version of BI are you using ?
As above, just updated it, therefore the very latest , 5.2.0.5 x64
BT Broadband Extender 600 Kit

I did previously have an issue with power line adapters. I had loads of them and then I found it was tripping my house circuit boards. That was a nightmare because I was 1000 miles from my house. I stopped using all bar the one pair which is for the dome camera because it would be difficult to hard wire its location with Network cable.

Re starting and updating windows has not resulted in any change for the hikvision although my not opening in full screen issue has resolved itself..

I don't see how the physical connection is the cause. An hour ago the dome was working just fine and had been stable for a week. then just with a Blue Iris update and restart it has suddenly gone to no signal. A week ago it did the same but in reverse with the dome working and the cube not working. I'm confident that both cameras are working, but somehow BI does not accept video from both of them at the same time. Could there be some sort of conflict? They both have different IP addresses on my Network.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) chrome will not work to view older cameras videos. Chrome does not support plugins. You must use Internet explorer or Pale Moon 32.

2) what is the static IP address of your cameras and the BI PC ? Do the camera network traffic pass thru the router on the way to the BI PC.

3) What type of PC, CPU and memory are you using for BI?

Just upgraded MY BI to 5.2.0.5 I have no problem with the viewing of the cube camera, double click works, the scroll acts as a zoom in full screen mode.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue Iris Setting about tab
3) blue Iris status cameras

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) chrome will not work to view older cameras videos. Chrome does not support plugins. You must use Internet explorer or Pale Moon 32.

Using the Hikvision browser interface, the cube on the new firmware works in Chrome but the dome camera with older firmware does not, however, using seamonkey browser, it is the reverse, The Dome works but the cube does not.
Main point is I have both cameras currently running live in browsers, therefore there can be no issue with hardware of cabling.

2) what is the static IP address of your cameras and the BI PC ? Do the camera network traffic pass thru the router on the way to the BI PC.

192.168.1.64 for the dome and for the cube and 192.168.1.71 for the PC.
All traffic passes through the router. The Cube which is actually my office cam sat next to me, runs through a 4 position hub and then to the router. The done connects via a power line Adapter, one next to where it is situated, and the other end in my office connected by a short cable directly to the router.

3) What type of PC, CPU and memory are you using for BI?
10 year old Chillblast ( boutique built ) i7 processor with 16GB Ram and ssd. Blue iris video is saved to the ssd . Currently showing 61% RAM usage and 45 % CPU usage. It was a powerful PC when built. Graphics are NVidia. Im reasonably sure its not a PC performance issue as I would have noticed if I had maxed anything out.

Screenshots as requested attached

Attachments

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should point out the screenshots of my blue iris show a second camera with no signal, a foscam. this is not a problem, it is unplugged. Its just the Hikvision which is a real no signal.

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update. I have just been tinkering. I noticed that some of my cameras had a high max frame rate. Normally I set the cameras at 15 frames pm, but sme where higher. I just reset several cameras down to 15 and suddenly my Hikvision dome started working again.... and at exactly the same time, one of my foscams went to no signal.

I should point out that a while ago I changed a setting to reduce cpu usage which means the images on my desktop are not live video but instead updated every few seconds. I am currently hunting around to put it back to live real time video. Not sure if it will have an affect on my cameras dropping out.

the acmera that has just dropped out has never dropped out before.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why does the cameras show port 88 and port 8000 on them ? Are you not using the standard port numbers rtsp 554 and onvif port of 80. I would suggest doing an BI inspect on each of your cameras that are having problems.

Also make sure you are not overloading you switch, and not running the camera data thru the router.

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. I don't have a good understanding of port numbers. With the cube I just tried every likely port number. I guess I will have to change them to the recommended ones.

Just now the last camera just started working again, so right now, as of this minute I have all cameras working (bar the unplugged one )

I do have one remaining issue and Im not sure if its related to the above. I found the setting for limit live preview rate. i had it at 1 fps and now have it at 10 fps but non of the settings make any difference. instead of 1 or 10 frames per second, i get a still image which only updates when I click on a different camera to open it up full screen.

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update on the update / having updated my nvidia drivers and restarted, mz Hikvision cube is now back to no signal. Which means my all cameras working status lasted less than 10 minutes. I will tinker with the port numbers as per zour post.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
using a @looney2ns suggestion, delete the camera and re add it to BI.
It is my understanding that newer cameras require a password setup of ONVIF.
Also reboot the camera and the BI PC.

It is best if you stick to the standard port numbers. On the hikvision
p1.jpgp3.jpg

Attachments

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. Currently I am trying to update the Nvidia Graphics driver and its not going well. As soon as I get that working I will start work on Blue Iris again

Reaction score
I have a Hikvision cube, that uses Ethernet wire to a POE switch, Using BI version 5.2.0.4. Browser accesse to the cameras works for the video.
I have never had long term success with a power line adapter for network connections, it drops connections all the time.

2) what verison of BI are you using ?
4) does the camera network traffic pass thru the router on the way to the BI PC ?
I added bolding for emphasis, and because I've had the very same experience.
Cameras on power line adapters often have video signal dropouts. :(

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update, while I have not been actively working on the issue for the last few days, the problem persists. After each new start, usually one camera is no signal. Its not always one of the Hikvisions but usually it is and typically its the one wired into the hub.

Im starting to think its may be related to the other issue which is my Blue Iris console cannot or will not draw live video. If I bring blue iris up in my browser using the wan IP it works as it should, I can wave at the camera and see myself moving. In the Blue iris console its just a series of still images. If I bring one camera up full screen it is just a still image although I get lie audio. When I close that full page, all the other view panes have updated to a still frame taken at the time I close the full screen image.

To me this seems symptomatic of not enough PC resources, however currently my CPU is at 32%, Memory at 60% and network usage just 2%. Currently I am not using my GPU as I switched it off while updating the Graphics Card driver.

During the 2 day adventure updating my graphics card the PC was restarted a gazillion times and the Blue Iris issues remained consistent. I have not had live video for some time.

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update - the problem temporarily fixed itself for several days and I had all cameras working. Then I made a small change to the "end trigger unless re-triggered with " and immediately lost both of my Hikvisions. Obviously tried immediately putting the setting back to what it was (30 sec) but it made no difference, both Hikvisions are saying no signal I/O error:0. I tried Southern Yankees suggestions and deleted and re added both cameras with standard ports but with no luck. My settings now look just like Southern Yankees above. I can bring up live video in a browser using the Hikvision interface, but cannot get it in Blue Iris.

Today I also replaced a physically broken cam with a new one , plus installed an extra camera. Both the new cameras are Foscam C2M. Now I have a new symptom to go with my non displaying Hikvisions. Whenever I restart Blue Iris, one of my many foscams also goes to no signal. Its completely random which one does not work. The affected cameras are various models of foscam. As with the Hikvisions, I have no trouble bringing the cameras up in a browser using the foscam browser interface. I just cant get them working in Blue Iris. As I can bring them up in a browser, there can be nothing wrong with the physical camera connections. As each time I reboot its a different foscam which is affected, it probably isn't a Blue Iris Camera setting.

The previously mentioned still view on my Blue Iris interface was nothing to do with it, I had just clicked pause on the whole thing.

Could it be anything to do with available resources? I am nowhere near maxed out in task manager. Right now I have Total CPU 26%, BI 14%, Memory 48%, Disk 0%, Network 1%, GPU 20%.

Could anything in windows be limiting the amount of resources BI is allowed to use? There are now 12 cameras on my system. The No Signal Hikvisions are the highest resolution on my system. Everything is optimised to reduce resources - 15 frames per second, no dates showing, direct to disc recording using BVR format.

Any help or suggestions most welcome , Im tearing my hair out with it :)

Reaction score
I too am having the same issue with the most recent update of BI, it seems to be dropping the same 3 cameras(all Dahua) at random times. The picture will freeze, but if you click on the camera itself the audio will play. Inside camera settings menu the bitrate is still going strong but FPS drops to 0 and that warning triangle pops up proceeded by "I/O error 0".

I have tested/inspected all 3 Ethernet cables and I also plugged in a new switch and the same thing keeps happening.

The camera which freezes will play uninterrupted within it's dedicated browser window so it's clearly a software issue with BI.

While typing this out it seems to affect any camera on my system, watched a 4th camera drop out and come back up.

7 Dahua cameras @ ~820MP/s
3900x (BI CPU use between 10-16%)
32gb ram
x570
dedicated SSD used for BI install and recording (don't care about TBW, never going to hit it within the next 5 years)

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's interesting, it seems to be a similar issue. I also have sound available through the no signal cameras. I hadn't looked ta Bitrate before. My Hikvision Dome says Frame Rate 1.40/0.00< fps, bit rate 30.05 kB/s. Right now the Hikvision Cube is working for the first time in a few days and 2 other cameras have dropped out. One says frame Rate 1.50/0.00< fps, bit rate 87.93 kB/s and the other says frame Rate 1.50/0.00< fps, bit rate 124.43 kB/s. I am now going to restart it and see which random selection of cameras will start or no start. I have to keep doing that until its the less important ones not working :eek:(